PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card temps

QW.
20-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I have just purchased a Asus EN210 Silent to replace my old ATI 3450 graphics card. Does anybody know if I will need to install any software to control the temperature or is is this automatically managed? I have read that it max temp is 105 degrees.

icow
20-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Speedfan is pretty useful for monitoring temperatures. I assume this new GPU is fanless?

QW.
20-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Speedfan is pretty useful for monitoring temperatures. I assume this new GPU is fanless?

Yep. Got passive cooling.

QW.
20-07-2012, 11:38 PM

Will the program work regardless if it is fan or passively cooled?

8ftmetalhaed
21-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Just use HWmonitor if you only want to see temps.

Agent_24
21-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Will the program work regardless if it is fan or passively cooled?

Yes. Speedfan can read fan speeds, control fan speeds, read temperatures of CPUs, Motherboards, GPUs, HDDs, etc, read voltages, and read SMART data of HDDs (and even analyse it for you!)

If your hardware doesn't support a particular readout or control, you just won't get the option to view\control it.

dugimodo
21-07-2012, 07:05 PM
You don't need to do anything, but if you want to know how hot it's getting use one of the programs suggested. If you want to see worst case get furmark and run it, it'll load your graphics card to 100% and graph the temperature.

Unless your case is terrible airflow wise it should be fine, if it overheats it's a poor design.

Agent_24
22-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Unless your case is terrible airflow wise it should be fine, if it overheats it's a poor design.

Passive cooled cards almost always state that a case with proper airflow and cooling is a requirement.

23-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Some passivley cooled cards just run rediculously hot ,in NORMAL average cases.
So hot , just doing normal office work(no games) that the motherboard (& caps near the vid card) get cooked.

I stopped buying fanless cards for this reason. Just not worth the risk.

Agent_24
23-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Some passivley cooled cards just run rediculously hot ,in NORMAL average cases.
So hot , just doing normal office work(no games) that the motherboard (& caps near the vid card) get cooked.

I stopped buying fanless cards for this reason. Just not worth the risk.

An average case probably isn't good enough.

Also the motherboard capacitors probably weren't good enough either.

23-07-2012, 03:56 PM
An average case probably isn't good enough.

Also the motherboard capacitors probably weren't good enough either.

Sort of makes a fanless vid card a waste of time if you need to add additional case fans :badpc:
You cant get better airflow than the the side of the case removed, case on its side, allowing heat/hot air to dissipate straight up & out. Still got ridiculously hot. The distributors admitted(off the record) there were issues with some of their fanless vid cards simply running far to hot & damaging m/b's