PDA

View Full Version : Mt Tongariro is waking up

coldfront
20-07-2012, 06:37 PM
http://www.geonet.org.nz/volcano/alert-bulletins/archives/2012/jul-20-2012-1-30-pm-tongariro-volcano.html

Small volcanic earthquakes have been recorded beneath Mount Tongariro. The sequence started on July 13, but soon declined, restarting on July 18 and increasing in number on July 19 and 20. These indicate unrest at Tongariro and give reason to change the Volcanic Alert Level to Level 1 and the Aviation Colour Code to Yellow.

As part of our routine monitoring of seismic activity we have recorded several volcanic earthquakes at Mount Tongariro since July 13. These earthquakes are small (magnitudes <2.5) and have only been well recorded by a few of the seismometers in our permanent network. The earthquakes cluster in a zone between Emerald Crater and the Te Māri craters at 2-7km depth.

Mount Tongariro is a volcanic complex that lies to the north of Ngauruhoe. It consists of numerous craters and vents. Te Māri craters lie about two kilometres east of Ketetahi hot springs on the north side of Mount Tongariro. The Te Māri craters are the last craters to be active on Tongariro. Ash eruptions have been recorded from Tongariro from 1855 to 1897, as well as unconfirmed activity in 1926-27.

Before you say so what nothing unusual in that! For Tongariro it is!

pctek
20-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Yes.....could be a start of rumblings.
So the centre will disappear under a cloud of ash and rock. - Pompeii

Then the 39 volcanos in Auckland will go off, then Wellington will have an earthquake, then.....

When's the next flight to the artic?

R2x1
20-07-2012, 08:01 PM
A keen body of volunteers is building tiers of seating in the crater with accommodation for 121 souls (r.)
It is confidently expected this will damp down the activity which is good. If it doesn't, that will be even better.

Nick G
20-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Yes.....could be a start of rumblings.
So the centre will disappear under a cloud of ash and rock. - Pompeii

Then the 39 volcanos in Auckland will go off, then Wellington will have an earthquake, then.....

When's the next flight to the artic?
The ice is melting, remember?

WalOne
20-07-2012, 10:48 PM

:thumbs: :lol:

WalOne
20-07-2012, 10:50 PM
A keen body of volunteers is building tiers of seating in the crater with accommodation for 121 souls (r.)
It is confidently expected this will damp down the activity which is good. If it doesn't, that will be even better.

(r.) souls

:lol::lol::lol:

Lawrence
21-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Had the opportunity to do the Tongariro crossing April,sure is spectacular but would not like to be there during any Volcanic activity as there is no where to take shelter

Would also be good to do in winter with the right weather and gear

R2x1
21-07-2012, 09:57 AM
(r.) souls

:lol::lol::lol:

The original stands for an obvious reason. They are backward (r.) souls ;)

coldfront
21-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Had the opportunity to do the Tongariro crossing April,sure is spectacular but would not like to be there during any Volcanic activity as there is no where to take shelter

Would also be good to do in winter with the right weather and gear

This April passed was the best month of the whole season to have done the crossing you were very lucky. Winter conditions at present are none existant or should say you missed the best of those conditions before the tropical rain hit last weekend. If Te mari Crater wakes up which is the most likely location the impact on the crossing should be minimal and determined by wind factors etc but knowing DoC they will shut down the crossing. There we were thinking Ngauruhoe being the most recently and overdue to erupt was the candidate for disruption but then I do recall a few years ago some incresed activity in Te Mari that they were concerned about. This is the first time the Alert level has been raised to 1 the same now as Ruapehu and White Island. When it goes 2 then I will have more concern.

Time for a career move for me as my work revolves around the crossing in the summer, although I doubt the idiots at WINZ will be able to accept that there is no employment due to a mountain going poof!!

pctek
21-07-2012, 12:05 PM

So I heard...so the climate will be a lot nicer, won't it.

Lawrence
21-07-2012, 12:44 PM
This April passed was the best month of the whole season to have done the crossing you were very lucky. Winter conditions at present are none existant or should say you missed the best of those conditions before the tropical rain hit last weekend. If Te mari Crater wakes up which is the most likely location the impact on the crossing should be minimal and determined by wind factors etc but knowing DoC they will shut down the crossing. There we were thinking Ngauruhoe being the most recently and overdue to erupt was the candidate for disruption but then I do recall a few years ago some incresed activity in Te Mari that they were concerned about. This is the first time the Alert level has been raised to 1 the same now as Ruapehu and White Island. When it goes 2 then I will have more concern.

Time for a career move for me as my work revolves around the crossing in the summer, although I doubt the idiots at WINZ will be able to accept that there is no employment due to a mountain going poof!!

Heard the day we did it there was 1500 doing the crossing that day,at the top of the devil's staircase if you looked behind you could see groups of about 20 people in a procession

Started at 6.00am on the first load and completed it 12.30 and was back in Tauranga 4.00pm

Certainly a boost for Tourism in the Central North Island

Bobh
21-07-2012, 12:50 PM
So I heard...so the climate will be a lot nicer, won't it.
You will also be closer to the beach.

SP8's
21-07-2012, 12:57 PM
John Key pi$$ed off the Taniwha ... again ...

johcar
21-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Perhaps we could get the invisible-friend-botherers from here (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/heal...ased-therapies) to visit Tongariro (preferably the crater, and preferably during an eruption) to see whether they can chase away the evil spirits that are obviously causing the poor mountain some distress....

paulw
22-07-2012, 09:12 AM
John Key pi$$ed off the Taniwha ... again ...

You beet me to it.. Only a lot of water passing hands will placate it..

WalOne
22-07-2012, 09:22 AM
A few years ago (last century ... ) a kaumata told me "the fish is getting to dive"

At least iwi will have as much water and taniwhas as they can handle.

:p

kenj
22-07-2012, 05:48 PM
You beet me to it.. Only a lot of water passing hands will placate it..

Water, as in money/koha/baksheesh/bribes ???

Ken

paulw
22-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Water, as in money/koha/baksheesh/bribes ???

Ken

You got it..