PDA

View Full Version : Modem, free to good home. Older style, 40kg

BBCmicro
20-07-2012, 05:07 PM
It's a Creed teleprinter, model 54 (late edition of 7E). Model 7 started in 1931, this variant was the last - introduced in 1954 and retired in the 60s

It takes pulses from the line and prints a subset of ASCII in black. (Capitals and figs. Only 5-bit bytes). Also sends characters via the keyboard and prints a copy in red

A company is coming to put insulation in the ceiling where this machine has been stored for 25 years. Mrs Micro doesn't want machinery around, having a 'retirement' home in the back of her mind

I started it up just now and have put a short video on my Dropbox. The motor/main drive train seems to go OK. Also the time-out mechanism. But some other assemblies seem to have gummed up. I've squirted some CRC around (and removed the paper and ribbon so that it won't get contaminated by CRC). It was working 25 years ago but only as a plaything

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32411418/Creed_0m26_7MB.mp4

The other one (yes, I have two - they both have to go) is a "reperforating printer" originally used at Shelley Airforce Base, according to a maintenance docket. It takes pulses from the line and punches holes in a narrow tape, printing ASCII along one edge. It's for the Commandant to read and decide whether someone else needs to know in which case he feeds the tape into a reader and sends it out. I haven't had this one going. It might be 24V

Free to anyone who wants them (but presumably just in the Wellington area - I'm not kidding about the 40 kg!)

pcuser42
20-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Does it support ADSL? :p

Nick G
20-07-2012, 06:41 PM
umm, yea. Maybe Chill can get gargoyle firmware in it :lol:

johcar
20-07-2012, 06:42 PM

No, but it does support fibre - although the fibre in question is probably hemp...

R2x1
20-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Optic might be good, since that is driven by light and the creed needs a bit of that.

Paul.Cov
20-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Seriously, this should go to some sort of digital museum where it will be recognised for the early step it was in the road to digital technology.
I had no idea such a thing existed way back then.

R2x1
20-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Well, the Creed is only a sort of rough version of a Teletype, made badly but expensively. Resistant to viruses though. ;)

Pato
21-07-2012, 02:18 PM
The Creed Model 54 is a teleprinter. I worked with them for many years and you weren't kidding about the weight of them.
I took my last one to the tip!!

Jeff
21-07-2012, 08:35 PM
If you were in Auckland, I would suggest giving MOTAT a ring or in Christchurch, Ferrymead.
Seeing you are in Wellington, try Te Papa.

BBCmicro
23-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I've discovered that a New Zealander, Donald Murray, was the father of digital transmission:

http://oztypewriter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/new-zealands-donald-murray-father-of.html

Morse code was invented before Murray and Baudot developed a kind of digital version of Morse code. But Murray hit upon the idea of using the standard QWERTY keyboard. How clever was that?

In addition, he introduced codes for LineFeed and CarriageReturn. That was truly brilliant (and I believe I could have thought of that ;) ) Prior to that, people thought that 'code' was for sending letters and figures. Formatting was something done outside the system, such as when you hit a lever to return the typewriter carriage to the left.

Not bad for a lad from Invercargil

Murray' code was 5-bit. It was standardised as ITA2, used by teleprinters, and became ASCII in 1963 after it was increased to 7-bit