PDA

View Full Version : Transfering from pc to ipad 3

kiwibits
20-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I asked for help on this a while ago and prematurely said i had it sorted.

I'm trying to transfer video files from my pc to my ipad 3. When i use iTunes i can get the files to the library but not to transfer. I've tried all sorts of formats but nothing works. I've tried a couple apps (playable and one other free one) with no luck. Also i want to play non apple approved formats so am really looking for a good app that transfers either via wireless or usb cable (not dropbox or similar as it uses bandwidth). I don't mind paying for the app but don't want to waste my $ on something that doesn't do the job. Any ideas?
ta for any ideas

icow
20-07-2012, 04:51 PM
When you connect the ipad to the pc and it appears in the side bar, have you got automatically sync all videos to ipad selected? (This should appear when you click on the ipad and then the videos tab once at the summary screen).

kiwibits
20-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Hi yes the 'sync with this ipad over wifi' box is ticked

icow
20-07-2012, 05:53 PM
What format are the videos?

kiwibits
20-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Any, mp4. mov,avi,mpg

icow
20-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Have you tried syncing with a usb cable? not over wifi?

Cato
20-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Jailbreak, install OpenSSH, use WinSPC to transfer any media you want to it. Play via VLC.

WINNING!

psycik
20-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Only certain formats of MP4 files will transfer to iPad.

If you really want to try playing anything, I suggest you get soemthing like goodplayer - which you can download files off a server, transfer via usb, or play via network.

It also will play anything - the only limitation is the physical hardware of the ipad, but it should play most things.

stuffed
22-07-2012, 11:08 AM
I asked for help on this a while ago and prematurely said i had it sorted.

I'm trying to transfer video files from my pc to my ipad 3. When i use iTunes i can get the files to the library but not to transfer. I've tried all sorts of formats but nothing works. I've tried a couple apps (playable and one other free one) with no luck. Also i want to play non apple approved formats so am really looking for a good app that transfers either via wireless or usb cable (not dropbox or similar as it uses bandwidth). I don't mind paying for the app but don't want to waste my $ on something that doesn't do the job. Any ideas?
ta for any ideas

If you just want to play videos within range of your wifi - Air Video App - think it will convert avi files too.
Yeah I had probs too for a start - hate iTunes! After you drag your video into the movies section - click Sync at the bottom right.

kiwibits
22-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi ta for the help. I'll give goodplayer a go. I want to transfer the videos not stream them and itune either isn't syncing or they not showing up at the other end no matter what the format

dugimodo
22-07-2012, 01:49 PM
You could try converting them with handbrake using one of the iPad profiles, if it needs a specific format that ought to work.
I don't own any apple devices though so I wouldn't know for sure (I like the hardware but not the reliance on iTunes).

autechre
23-07-2012, 09:59 AM
You could try converting them with handbrake using one of the iPad profiles, if it needs a specific format that ought to work.
This.

In itunes, go to your ipad and click on the movies button. If you can see any of the movies listed in there you should be able to sync them. If they're not listed, they're not in the right format.
Make sure you tick the "Sync Movies" checkbox and you can then click Sync button at the bottom to just transfer the movies over.

kiwibits
23-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Hi there, doesn't seem to matter what format but at the end of the day I don't want to have to reformat everything just to keep apple exclusive, i'd prefer to give someone else the $ to make my life easier. Ta for the help

Nick G
23-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi there, doesn't seem to matter what format but at the end of the day I don't want to have to reformat everything just to keep apple exclusive, i'd prefer to give someone else the $ to make my life easier. Ta for the help
Well, that's easy. Go into a shop like hardly normals, hand over some $$$, get a android tablet :p

psycik
23-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I'd skip the conversion of formats and pissing around in iTunes.

Get goodplayer for offline playback, and/or plex for at home. PLex will present it all nicely and transcode in the format the ipad (and any other plex including PC, iphone, android, samsung tvs) wants.

kiwibits
23-07-2012, 02:23 PM
yeah but ipad is easier to spell

kiwibits
23-07-2012, 02:36 PM
gOODPALYER SEEMS THE WAY TO GO

kiwibits
23-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Got Goodpalyer instaled, awesome app, works a treat! ta for all the help