PDA

View Full Version : How to install a file system on a USB portable HD?

Strommer
19-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Last year I bought a 500 Gb Seagate Expansion Portable hard drive for a digital TV tuner. I no longer use the tuner (prefer Tivo) and now want to use the portable hd as a backup for my Win7 computers. The TV tuner formatted the hd in an unknown file system, which is not recognized by my pc. This means it is not see in My Computer, however it does appear in Device Manager but with no file system.

When I right click on the hd in Device Manager the only options are Delete Volume and Help.

A scan using Seatools shows that it is OK, but there is no option in Seatools to put NTFS on it.

How do I get NTFS on it?

Thanks.

gary67
19-07-2012, 10:13 AM
use gparted on a live linux cd

stormdragon
19-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Just delete the volume and create another that you format to NTFS

KarameaDave
19-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Right click computer>manage(requires admin privileges )>In the Management console, click Disk Management> then just delete the volume, create volume , format or whatever you want.

Strommer
19-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Just delete the volume and create another that you format to NTFS

Right click computer>manage(requires admin privileges )>In the Management console, click Disk Management> then just delete the volume, create volume , format or whatever you want.

:thanks

Thanks for the quick :banana replies :thumbs:

I had thought of hitting "Delete Volume" but was not sure.
Creating a new NTFS file system was quick and easy, and Win7 backup is running now.

Cheers, Strommer