PDA

View Full Version : [Build tips/opinions] ~$1500 Build

FlightOfGrey
18-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Ok, first time PC builder here, my budget is about $1500.

A bit about the purpose of the computer: It wouls be used to do a reasonable amount of video and image editing and compiling. I also like to dabble in a bit of games on the side, so it would be nice if I could at least run the majority of games at a playable framerate, at the moment even Half Life 2 is a tad choppy at times on my laptop which doesn't have a seperate graphics card.

Here is what I'm looking at buying at the moment:

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4Ghz $335 (http://www.pcforce.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=2173&utm_source=shopmania&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=direct_link)
Motherboard - Asus P8H77-M Pro $200 (http://119.47.125.81/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=103493)
Memory - Kingston HyperX 2x4GB $90 (http://119.47.125.81/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=75675)
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 32MB 1TB $120 (http://119.47.125.81/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=71419)
Hard Drive - OCZ Agility 3 Series SATA III 2.5" SSD 60GB $120 (http://119.47.125.81/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=84299)
Video Card - Sapphire Radeon HD6570 DDR3 HDMI 2GB $100 (http://119.47.125.81/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=83085)
Case Antec Three Hundred Two (Black) - $110 (http://www.dodgybastards.co.nz/three-hundred-two-tower-case.html)
Power Supply - Silverstone Strider ST50F-P 500W $130 (http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA26351&ref=pricespy)

I found all of the online stores thanks to PriceSpy (http://pricespy.co.nz/), with the majority of the parts coming from AlphaCity and the rest from pcforce, Dodgy Bastards and Paradigm Pcs.

So any opinions on the stores are appreciated as I have no experience in buying parts obviously but I would most of all appreciate any opinions on the parts, at the moment it comes to about $1200 so still a bit of room to move if there's something that's worth paying a bit extra for.

Also where is a good place to buy Windows 7?

Slankydudl
18-07-2012, 10:19 PM
might be good to try computer lounge as they dont charge shipping which sometimes works out cheaper, also how are you configuring your hardrives.

stratex5
18-07-2012, 10:31 PM
thanks for sharing

Bit harsh dont you think?

FlightOfGrey
18-07-2012, 10:31 PM
might be good to try computer lounge as they dont charge shipping which sometimes works out cheaper, also how are you configuring your hardrives.

Ok I'll check out their website and compare prices. I had planned on using the SSD for the OS and regularly used programs for quick start up and then the HDD for normal files and storage

Slankydudl
18-07-2012, 10:34 PM
yeah thats exactly what im doing and i constantly having to clean the ssd... those 60bg run out quickly.

stratex5
18-07-2012, 10:35 PM
www.pclounge.co.nz can do alterations to some of their builds if you have specific requirements.

FlightOfGrey
18-07-2012, 10:38 PM
yeah thats exactly what im doing and i constantly having to clean the ssd... those 60bg run out quickly.

Oh really, I thought that 60GB would be more than enough, will take that into consideration then thanks.

8ftmetalhaed
19-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Give some serious consideration to dropping the SSD for now and grabbing a bigger graphics card and PSU.
You're doing basic gaming now yes, but if you do it at high resolutions then that card will likely struggle, and if your gaming needs ever evolve (which they very likely will) you'll later on be wanting to play something that your current kit will simply not handle.
Equally so people here aren't too fond of sapphire as a brand.

Look into at least a 7770, if not 7800 series and you should be right for a fair while.

Most places selling windows 7 OEM will have the same enough prices to not shop around I think, the only way you'd get it cheaper is by either pirating it or getting it free through MSDNAA like I did.

Iantech
19-07-2012, 12:46 AM
GPU is a bit weak and I would pump up your PSU to about 650W.

My opinion only.

Iantech
19-07-2012, 12:48 AM
thanks for sharingYeah, whats that all about? Wrong time of the month Seanrodri?

inphinity
19-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Consider a 650W PSU, a 7750 GPU, and a 120GB SSD... 60GB doesn't go far ;)

dugimodo
19-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I agree with most of the comments so far, 500W is fine though as long as you never intend to go for more than a mid range graphics card and silverstone is a good brand. I'd suggest (in order from slowest to fastest) a 7770, 560 Ti, or 7850 for medium quality gaming at 1080P, you don't mention a monitor though so that's an assumption.

Also the "K" series processors are great and don't cost much extra while giving you the option to overclock. If however you are not planning to overclock any Ivy bridge i5 will perform practically the same so you could save some money and buy a lower model without much impact on system performance.

As for windows, get the OEM version from one of your suppliers with some of the hardware and it'll cost around $150-$170. Also both PP.co.nz and computerlounge have MB/CPU/RAM combo deals that can save a few dollars.

stratex5
19-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah, whats that all about? Wrong time of the month Seanrodri?

He looks like a spammer cause yesterday he posted anothe offensive post. He had only posted 2 posts.

pctek
19-07-2012, 12:02 PM
120GB SSD... 60GB doesn't go far ;)

For what? He's pairing it with a 1TB drive, the O/S would take about 20GB. Plenty of room.

FlightOfGrey
19-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Edit: Nevermind found out what I was looking for thanks to google.

icow
19-07-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm going to 2nd Iantech and also say that the gpu is a tad weak.

Slankydudl
19-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Pctek i have used 50gb of 60 on my ssd for system only and it has been slowly increasing even though im installing things on my other drive so explain how its data has more than doubled? And also not all programs will run properly from a non system drive.

SolMiester
20-07-2012, 12:37 PM
I wouldnt use a 60GB SSD for the O/S, its fine in most cases, but an iPhone, iPad of iPod can full that easily with a couple of automatic backups, W7 driver cache or SP files....
Not sure if the OP need Ivy Bridge, its only 5% faster than Sandy Bridge, doesnt clock as well, and has a premium....I would look for SB 2500K w\ a USB3 Mobo and put the saving toward a better GPU, at least 7770.

icow
20-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Pctek i have used 50gb of 60 on my ssd for system only and it has been slowly increasing even though im installing things on my other drive so explain how its data has more than doubled? And also not all programs will run properly from a non system drive.

Have you checked your pagefile?

dugimodo
20-07-2012, 01:55 PM
I have a 120GB SSD with Windows 7, SWTOR, WoW, and various applications on it. It's hovering just under 60GB used and considering WoW alone is over 22GB I'd say keeping under 60 is totally possible. Setting the swap file on another drive is a big help and helps increase the SSDs lifespan.

When I originally got it I trimmed my existing installation down to 18GB and cloned it from my old hard drive. I mucked it up though and ended up doing a fresh install anyway but the point here is even a year old bloated copy of windows from a 1TB hard drive which I'd taken no care to keep small was able to be easily reduced to 18GB.
The main thing was moving my games, page file, and Steam directory to the D: drive.

Slankydudl
20-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Pagefile? Inform me plz.

dugimodo
20-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Pagefile? Inform me plz.

AKA swap file or Virtual Memory. It's the hidden system file windows uses to shuffle things around in order to keep enough RAM available for programs. By default it's dynamic and grows and shrinks as required but windows still tends to use several GB at a minimum, add to that the frequent writes and it's a bad Idea to leave it on an SSD.

In theory if you have a decent amount of RAM you can disable it but in practice it's safer to leave it on and set it to another HDD because some software is written in such a way that it requires a swap file no matter how much RAM you have. Stupid IMO I'd happily upgrade to 16GB of RAM from 8GB if it meant I could get rid of Virtual memory forever.

Slankydudl
20-07-2012, 05:46 PM
okay so how would i go about swapping it?

icow
20-07-2012, 05:52 PM
My Computer > Properties > Advanced Settings > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Change

SolMiester
20-07-2012, 07:45 PM
The last thing I would do is change the paging file to a slow spindle drive, that defeats the purpose of having a SSD. In point of fact, solid state drives are designed to last longer than conventional drives, if it is going fail though, no use with kid gloves. Window with trim takes care of garbage and cleaning the drive.

dugimodo
20-07-2012, 09:02 PM
The last thing I would do is change the paging file to a slow spindle drive, that defeats the purpose of having a SSD. In point of fact, solid state drives are designed to last longer than conventional drives, if it is going fail though, no use with kid gloves. Window with trim takes care of garbage and cleaning the drive.

It really doesn't, the swap file doesn't get much use anyway and space is at a premium on a small SSD. Moving it has no noticeable effect on performance but clears up a useful amount of space.
Also the MTBF specs for SSD's is LOWER than for HDDs so far, they are more robust when it comes to impact and temperature but otherwise do not last longer than HDDs

Even so, if you chose to leave the swap file on the SSD it's not going to wear out any time soon. For a normal home user it should outlast the rest of the PC easily.