PDA

View Full Version : 'No warning' from US navy before shooting

Iantech
18-07-2012, 02:23 PM
An Indian fisherman aboard a boat shot at by the US navy off Dubai's coast has told officials the crew received no warning before being fired upon, India's ambassador to the United Arab Emirates says.

The account differs from that provided by the navy, which said it resorted to lethal force yesterday only after issuing a series of warnings.

One Indian was killed in the incident and three of his countrymen were seriously wounded.

The shooting happened Monday afternoon (local time) when a boat rapidly approached the refuelling ship USNS Rappahannock about 16km off Dubai's Jebel Ali port, according to the navy.

The navy said the boat's crew disregarded warnings from the US vessel and only then did gunners fire on it with a .50-calibre machine gun.

A description of the incident posted online by the US military indicates that a security team aboard the Rappahannock began issuing warnings as the boat headed toward it from about 820 metres away. Gunners opened fire when the boat closed in to about 90m, according to the account.

The white-hulled, dark-bottomed boat appeared to be a civilian vessel powered by three outboard motors. It had no obvious military markings. The skiff was 50 feet (15 meters) long and carried no communications gear, according to the US military description.

Similar boats are used for fishing in the region, though Iran's Revolutionary Guard also employs relatively small, fast-moving craft in the Gulf.

I think the message is that if you drive your boat at a US war ship, you're going to get ventilated, I would have thought that was clear in that area at least. Only 90m away is far to close. I wouldnt be driving a boat at any war ship actually, even a NZ one. And to have no communication gear? Just stupid.

gary67
18-07-2012, 02:54 PM
I thought it was a refuelling ship and looked totally different to a warship

Metla
18-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Metla
18-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Personally I'd give the same amount of credibility to the fishermen as I would to the American Navy.

Which is to say, not much.

Besides, The yanks are probably just there to tax their internet or get some arresting under way for the movie industry.

We are just lucky our anti-nuke policy (or the Suck my balls initiative) stopped them from parking a boat off our coast and lobbing missiles at Kim Dotcom.

Metla
18-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I'd be asking the Navy what the hell they are playing at by parking their boats on the other-side of the world in someone elses fishing grounds, and then firing on the fishermen.

I'd agree that 90m is far too close, The Americans should be 9000km away.

Pin them for murder.

DeSade
18-07-2012, 03:20 PM
90m is way too close, should have strafed them at 200m

inphinity
18-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Maybe they were going out there to help them fix their computer which has all sorts of problems, didn't you know....

prefect
18-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Rule one at sea, keep a listening watch on marine VHF channel 16. Rule two in Middle East don't get too close to a warship in a speed boat, after the USS Cole you deserve to die with bells on.

Iantech
18-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Maybe they were going out there to help them fix their computer which has all sorts of problems, didn't you know....Well after all, they were Indian who are masters at fixing computers, they normally do it via telephone though and claim to be from Microsoft :D

R2x1
18-07-2012, 04:54 PM
. . . deserve to die with bells on. The bells part is purely optional.