PDA

View Full Version : I always knew she had no idea what she was doing.

B.M.
18-07-2012, 12:12 PM
"Former Prime Minister Helen Clark has reacted with shock that a business award she gave was to India's top tobacco company.
Clark, who is now head of the United Nations Development Agency, presented India's largest cigarette maker, ITC (formerly Indian Tobacco Company) with the World Business Council for Sustainable Development's (WBCSD) highest prize for improving the environment and removing poverty. :lol:
This drew an angry reaction from a leading Indian health advocate who termed it a travesty of justice".

HERE (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/7298340/Helen-Clark-shocked-at-tobacco-award)

Iantech
18-07-2012, 12:54 PM
"What is tragic is that Helen Clark, a responsible prime minister and wife of a respected public health expert could not have given this award in New Zealand or any other developed country." Lal said. That guy has his head in the sand, India is not what I would call a 'developed' country.

gary67
18-07-2012, 12:59 PM
She was blinded by the Smarm radiating from John Key

Cicero
18-07-2012, 01:20 PM
An idiot indeed, enough said.

Whenu
18-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Don't suppose a committee at a lower level in the UN made the decision and she is the front-person ?

Cicero
18-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Don't suppose a committee at a lower level in the UN made the decision and she is the front-person ?

Irrelevant, the buck stops with her.

Nothing to worry about though, these people get away with every thing. All that matters is the gravy train.

pctek
18-07-2012, 02:20 PM
"Former Prime Minister Helen Clark has reacted with shock that a business award she gave was to India's top tobacco company.

Yeah, never mind they actually employed people.
Nor do they actually hold people down and force them to smoke.

Metla
18-07-2012, 02:49 PM
If I went down the school and sold cancer inducing lollies to kids for a few cents would you defend me as well?

Wait, I need to employ a couple of people to help me, then its all good.

Then the UN can give me a medal.

CliveM
18-07-2012, 02:53 PM
She has always believed herself to be a superior being. It is always some one else's fault not hers. At typical politician with her snout well and truly in the trough. I cannot think of one reported achievement of hers since she lost the election in NZ. Mind you that also applies to the whole UN they are not even close to being united and seem to be set up purely to keep failed politicians in a well paid lo stress job.

B.M.
18-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Youíre probably dead right Whenu but itís pretty poor form when the head of an International Organisation presents their most Prestigious Award to an outfit she obviously hadnít bothered to find out anything about.

I remember a few years ago now, an acquaintance actually met the Queen and he was astounded by how much she knew about him right down to his childrenís names.

No doubt someone had done the research for her, but she must have somehow committed it all to memory.

R2x1
18-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Queens have very little else to do, other than patting dogs and children.

pctek
18-07-2012, 06:10 PM
If I went down the school and sold cancer inducing lollies to kids for a few cents would you defend me as well?

Wait, I need to employ a couple of people to help me, then its all good.

Then the UN can give me a medal.

How ridiculous.
Cigarette companies are not lurking outside schools, nor selling sweet kid stuff, nor for a few cents either.

And as for cancer inducing, yep, let's wait 50 years ish and get cancer, or not.
Or something else, or not.
Most likely we'd end up with one or the other anyway.

But of course alcohol, with it's record of accidents, violence, putrid behaviour in public places, is just fine isn't it.
Never mind if you drink for long enough it will cause a few health issues too.
Oh, and make you fat.,

Metla
18-07-2012, 07:21 PM
How ridiculous.
Cigarette companies are not lurking outside schools, nor selling sweet kid stuff, nor for a few cents either.

They do in fact give them away at arcades and youth events, and sell them individually for a few cents.

That aside, Alcohol is a separate toxin, and doesn't effect the stench that is the cancer industry.

I know you enjoy it, and as far as I'm concerned more power to you, you're an adult, if that's the way you want to live your life then that's fine by me. That however doesn't mean we should continue infecting each new generation with poison just to make some faceless corporation rich.

Metla
19-07-2012, 08:30 AM
anyway.Lets ask a dead guy if it was worth it.

Mr Patterson said he loved his wife Mary Jane "more than I have words to express" and that every moment spent with her was "time spent wisely".

"My regret is that I felt invincible when young and smoked cigarettes when I knew they were bad for me.

"Now, to make it worse, I have robbed my beloved Mary Jane of a decade or more of the two of us growing old together and laughing at all the thousands of simple things that we have come to enjoy and fill our lives with such happy words and moments.

"My pain is enormous, but it pales in comparison to watching my wife feel my pain as she lovingly cares for and comforts me. I feel such the "thief" now - for stealing so much from her - there is no pill I can take to erase that pain."

Yeah, not so much.