PDA

View Full Version : Updating Firefox

Billy T
18-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Team

Firefox has been nagging me to update for some time now, but I've unusually busy with work so I've been avoiding it in for fear of striking problems. I am now seeing some possible incompatibilities surfacing, so maybe I need to bite the bullet and update to the latest version.

If I update as advised, what is the likelihood of problems, and can I safely assume that all present configurations and personalised settings will be retained? The last thing I need right now is to spend hours trying to get things back to the way I like them.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bk T
18-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I updated mine a few days ago without any issues.

CYaBro
18-07-2012, 12:03 PM
What version are you currently running?
V14.0.1 was just released today/last night.

bk T
18-07-2012, 12:23 PM
V13.0.1.

new version again!!!!

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2012, 12:26 PM
14.01 seems to be a lot faster than 13.01. I just uninstalled 13 deleted all the folders. Then installed 14.01. No great hassle. Altho, I'm not too worried about how fancy it looks, with different configs / whatever. The only addon I install, is adblock

zqwerty
18-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Billy T, this is the version I think you should be using, scroll down to the English (US) version:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

Or try the Mozilla Firefox ESR Portable Edition to be sure you like it before installing on your computer, just unpack to your desktop and install your required extensions, here:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-esr

E.S.R = Extended Support Release, just what you need.

pctek
18-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Firefox has been nagging me to update for some time now
You can turn the nags off you know.
Just because they say you should doesn't mean it's a requirement.

Billy T
18-07-2012, 12:42 PM
What version are you currently running?
V14.0.1 was just released today/last night.

V 3.6.28

I'm a creature of habit :D

Seriously though, it has been working fine, so I've seen no pressing need to update.

Sounds like I will not see my usual screen once I update, not that I actually use the FF home-page screen anyway, with my set-up it seems to just work in the background and my principal personalised configuration is adblock, but I can't remember what other tweaks I may have made over the last couple of years since I acquired my new computer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
18-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Starting with version 4 they made some UI changes, but it's not difficult to get it back 99% to what it looked like in version 3

I would definitely recommend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/

Zippity
18-07-2012, 01:37 PM
What are you?

A man or a woos?

Make the changes :)

pcuser42
18-07-2012, 02:04 PM
The new versions of Firefox update silently so you may as well do it manually once :D

Agent_24
18-07-2012, 02:14 PM
What are you?

A man or a woos?

Make the changes :)

How about no.

bk T
18-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Just updated to 14.0.1, looks fine - don't really see any difference, don't see any speed improvement.

At least, it didn't mess up. LOL

Gobe1
18-07-2012, 02:57 PM
The new versions of Firefox update silently so you may as well do it manually once :D

It may download the files in the background but silent it is not when it comes to installing them.

pcuser42
18-07-2012, 03:01 PM
It may download the files in the background but silent it is not when it comes to installing them.

Well at least that's the eventual plan.

Agent_24
18-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Well at least that's the eventual plan.

Great, sneaky silent updates.

We know how well that went with Cisco....

pctek
18-07-2012, 03:21 PM
A woos. Although I think you mean wuss.

Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Peter H
18-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Simple - turn off auto updates. I'm on V5.0 - no problems with it, so, again, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

mikebartnz
18-07-2012, 09:55 PM
The only problem you may have is with addons that haven't been upgraded. I have had very few problems with that lately.

Zippity
18-07-2012, 10:01 PM
A woos. Although I think you mean wuss.

You say tomato, I say tomatoe

Agent_24
18-07-2012, 10:42 PM
The only problem you may have is with addons that haven't been upgraded. I have had very few problems with that lately.

Probably because despite the major version number being incremented every 5 minutes, there aren't really any major changes to break addons.

Way to go to confuse people! There was a reason version numbering worked the way it did. Now with Chrome and Firefox the version numbers are meaningless.

Billy T
18-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Maybe I'll compromise, I have every PCW DvD for years back (in fact I have PCW CDs #1, 4, 6, 7, & 8 as well) and IIRC just about all of the more recent DvD examples contain FF updates, so I could go back several versions without causing myself any grief, and that might stop the nagging.

Point is, everything works fine except for the update nagging and possible some minor security issues, but it may cost me a lot of work time to fart around sorting problems if I make an unnecessary change.

What I really want to know is whether or not an update will require extensive manual reconfiguration, and that seems a little unclear as yet.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

sarel
19-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Does the new/updated FF play nice with Nod?

sarel

CliveM
19-07-2012, 08:32 AM
W7 64. I always update FF. Addons rarely give me a problem and then they are either fixed in a matter of days or I find another to do the job or scrub it.
I also take almost every Windows update and have never had a problem doing so.
There is absolutely no logical reason for M$,FF or any other company to stuff up their own products and every incentive for them to fix things fast if they do go wrong. It would be commercial suicide not to do so.

Billy T
19-07-2012, 05:39 PM
W7 64. I always update FF. Addons rarely give me a problem and then they are either fixed in a matter of days or I find another to do the job or scrub it. I also take almost every Windows update and have never had a problem doing so.

I should have mentioned that I use XP-Pro and can't upgrade past that because of my legacy business apps. I still run a comp on W2K for print-screen from DOS, and a W95 Libretto mini-notebook for full access to DOS instrument programs. I am using instruments in my business that cost in excess of $30,000 20 years ago when that was real money, but they are DOS only. I've tried Dos-Box, but they don't like simulated anything, you feed them genuine DOS or nothing, and they are not W2K compliant either, so they are trapped in a 1999 time-warp.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)