PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office 2013 - Customer Preview 15 available.

wainuitech
17-07-2012, 02:03 PM
As the title says.

Installed it on Windows 8, runs smooth enough, but like Windows 8 gonna take some getting used to.

Its cloud based options allow you to connect to a Live account, so you can have access to your data if its stored there.

It only runs on Windows 7 or 8 , so any one using XP - its tough luck. ;)

Tried to link it, but for some reason it wont take, - but its available from links Here (http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-unleashes-office-2013-preview-with-windows-8-metro-touches-7000000996/).

The link is the 365 version, the one I got was from Technet and it can be standalone, cloud is an option, so it may be slightly different when setting up.

pcuser42
17-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Surprised it doesn't run on Vista though... (trolls need not respond :p)

GameJunkie
17-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Can you run it alongside office 2010??

Iantech
17-07-2012, 05:22 PM
So WT, first impressions?

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Can you run it alongside office 2010??

Looks like you cant have 32 bit 2010 and 64 bit 2013 installed on the same system. You'll get something like this (http://localhostr.com/files/EyoKDyy/2.PNG)

wainuitech
17-07-2012, 06:03 PM
So WT, first impressions?

:yuck:

That answer the question ;) only played while having lunch BUT to me it just doesn't look right:

Spot the difference:
4003 or 4004

I can see what they are trying to do, have everything designed for touch screen, and sync to cloud based documents, while the cloud based may be fine for office use and people who travel, for the general public it will be a PITA.

I've shown W8 to several customers and no one likes it. Its basically designed for touch Screen devices and Office is revamped the same.

First thing I'll be doing with Windows 8 is asking if customers want restart and Shutdown Buttons on the Taskbar like I have with mine ( see Below), at least it will help a little bit.

plod
17-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Surprised it doesn't run on Vista though... (trolls need not respond :p)ok :)

Lawrence
17-07-2012, 06:46 PM
It's going to be interesting when Win 8 RTM comes out and what the public's reaction to it is for general use on the Desktop

Have not bothered to try release Preview as I found Consumer Preview pretty underwhelming

Tablets look like a different proposition

sahilcc7
17-07-2012, 06:50 PM
:yuck:

That answer the question ;) only played while having lunch BUT to me it just doesn't look right:

Spot the difference:
4003 or 4004

I can see what they are trying to do, have everything designed for touch screen, and sync to cloud based documents, while the cloud based may be fine for office use and people who travel, for the general public it will be a PITA.

I've shown W8 to several customers and no one likes it. Its basically designed for touch Screen devices and Office is revamped the same.

First thing I'll be doing with Windows 8 is asking if customers want restart and Shutdown Buttons on the Taskbar like I have with mine ( see Below), at least it will help a little bit.

Another way to turn off in 8 Release preview is by going to the top right and clicking on settings, then there is a 'power' option which you can use.

wainuitech
17-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Another way to turn off in 8 Release preview is by going to the top right and clicking on settings, then there is a 'power' option which you can use. Theres several ways, thats one :thumbs:

Another is press the Windows +i Key, bottom right click Power/Shutdown or other options.

Another is Alt + F4 brings up the classic shutdown/restart/suspend options.

The one I use the most, remapped the keyboard so the Sleep button turns off, so its simply press the sleep button and done.

Greven
17-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm really looking forward to trying out Outlook's native support for non-microsoft activesync services such as Google Apps

R2x1
17-07-2012, 08:40 PM
So they've given up on getting the older versions of offish working right? ;)

Greven
18-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Is the release version of office 2013 going to be subscription only, or have they only imposed that limit for the preview?

GameJunkie
19-07-2012, 12:03 AM
according to this http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en/faq
you can install it alongside another version of office, be it office 03, 07 or 10

fred_fish
19-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Its cloud based options allow you to connect to a Live account, so you can have access to your data if its stored there.

So who can get access to your data? :xmouth:

I got access to my data just fine, without having to hand it over to someone in another jurisdiction thanks. :)

wainuitech
19-07-2012, 10:24 AM
So who can get access to your data? :xmouth:

I got access to my data just fine, without having to hand it over to someone in another jurisdiction thanks. :) With the New office it wants to save all the documents etc to MS's SkyDrive, basically an online storage. To Quote MS:
The advantage of saving to SkyDrive is that it lets you access your documents from almost anywhere or from any device – no syncing or cables needed. It works just like your hard drive in the cloud. You'll never be without the documents, notes, photos and videos that matter to you. It works similar to Google Doc's and other such cloud based storage/document places.

As to "who" has access, anyone who knows the account details, or anyone you care to share the documents with, you can select only certain files to share, and give full permissions to do only certain things edit, delete, read only.

Personally I feel the same way Fred - All my data is local either on the PC or on servers in the workshop.
I've only uploaded a couple of important documents as backups.

I can see the advantage if people travel and several need access to documents all being stored in one place, but it's not for everyone. If the Internet goes down where you are, you're screwed lol.

the version I got from Technet is called Office Professional Plus 2013 Preview Not the 365, may or may not be the same thing, the one I have here gives the option of skydrive so it can run/store locally. Might have to download the 365 and see.

Being 365 it will be a paid subscription http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/office365/compare-plans.aspx

Guess there will be a standalone version. ;)

dugimodo
19-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Well I only use office at work and our company doesn't adopt anything quickly so it will likely be many years before I have to worry about it.

We still run XP (to the point were 7 is removed from new PCs and XP installed) and only just got office 2010 this year, with quite a few staff yet to update because they prefer to keep office 2003 and the rest including myself having to relearn common tasks on 2010. At home I just use open office for the very occasionl times I need access to office type documents.

I didn't like windows 8 when I tried it, but if they go ahead with the cheap upgrade options I've read about I'll still be tempted if it adds features missing from home premium (such as network backups).

pcuser42
19-07-2012, 11:37 AM
If the Internet goes down where you are, you're screwed lol.

On Windows Vista, Windows 7 and OS X you can install the SkyDrive app, which syncs your SkyDrive to a folder on your computer. That way you can still carry on working without internet access :)

Gobe1
19-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Well I only use office at work and our company doesn't adopt anything quickly so it will likely be many years before I have to worry about it.

We still run XP (to the point were 7 is removed from new PCs and XP installed) and only just got office 2010 this year, with quite a few staff yet to update because they prefer to keep office 2003 and the rest including myself having to relearn common tasks on 2010. At home I just use open office for the very occasionl times I need access to office type documents.

I didn't like windows 8 when I tried it, but if they go ahead with the cheap upgrade options I've read about I'll still be tempted if it adds features missing from home premium (such as network backups).

Hey Dugi, we were like that but we have had massive compatibility issues between excel 2003/07/10 to the point where excel files would even disappear entirely, currently we only have 2007 and 2010 now but it was quite a headache

EDIT: even the lookup in excel is not right between excel 07 and 10 today where if the lookup tables were created in 2010 if it was opened in 07 they were broken