PDA

View Full Version : Symantec update crashes some PCs

pcuser42
16-07-2012, 12:46 PM
So in other words, a typical Symantec update.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/7284888/Symantec-anti-virus-update-crashes-some-PCs?cid=dlvr.it

I especially love this quote: "The support is a joke, the quality control is a joke, and the software is not much better." :lol:

8ftmetalhaed
16-07-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't mind norton TOO much anymore, given no alternative I'd still use it, but I'll be damned if I ever go back to it while Eset's the alternative.

It was a small thing that caused me to switch, when it let a program called Relevant Knowledge install itself twice on my laptop AND my desktop. It was bloody market research spyware, marked as safe because 100's of thousands of PC's had it installed.
HAH.

Plus Eset is cheaper.

pctek
16-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I especially love this quote: "The support is a joke, the quality control is a joke, and the software is not much better." :lol:

The idiot that continued to use it is a joke too.
It's biggest failing is that it doesn't detect much.

Gobe1
16-07-2012, 03:24 PM
It was better than AVG on Wainui's last real world test iirc

R2x1
16-07-2012, 08:45 PM
The idiot that continued to use it is a joke too.
It's biggest failing is that it doesn't detect much.
It may not detect much, but if it's true that speed kills, then using Norton (and Swiss Post) should virtually guarantee immortality.

mikebartnz
16-07-2012, 09:38 PM
It was better than AVG on Wainui's last real world test iirc
Care to back that up.

R2x1
17-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Care to back that up.
Well, not with Symantec Back-Up of course ;)

The sun has a finite lifespan.

Gobe1
17-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Care to back that up.

Geez i am going on memory here :groan:... Help Wainui!!

wainuitech
17-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Dont have the actual test results anymore, but yep, Norton beat AVG hands down in detection.

AVG couldn't catch a cold :D

Norton is still a hog though , Did a job on Saturday, it had the latest Norton Internet security installed, took 10 minutes for the computer to boot to something useful ( actually timed it) and slow OMG, ( P4 with 1GB RAM XP) uninstalled it along with all teh other Norton crap and with No AV at all it took just over a minute to boot up fully.

Installed Nod32, start up didn't slow at all, Nod found 2 active infections (trojans) as it was booting, and a further 9 during the full scan - all That Norton had missed.

Gobe1
17-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Dont have the actual test results anymore, but yep, Norton beat AVG hands down in detection.

AVG couldn't catch a cold :D

Norton is still a hog though , Did a job on Saturday, it had the latest Norton Internet security installed, took 10 minutes for the computer to boot to something useful ( actually timed it) and slow OMG, ( P4 with 1GB RAM XP) uninstalled it along with all teh other Norton crap and with No AV at all it took just over a minute to boot up fully.

Installed Nod32, start up didn't slow at all, Nod found 2 active infections (trojans) as it was booting, and a further 9 during the full scan - all That Norton had missed.

Sweet, i may be slow and old but im consistent!