PDA

View Full Version : Clonezilla or copy and paste?

jcr1
16-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I have samba on my server, which works.
I tried using Clonezilla to clone my win7 system onto a directory in my server (available using samba).
It appears difficult.
What would be the downside of just copying and pasting everything in the win7 hard drive to the server?
And not bothering about the clone - simple?

gary67
16-07-2012, 01:47 PM
A clone is for making an identical HDD what you should be doing is an image of the C drive. If this is Win7 home it can't do it over a network all other versions can.

Windows own backup program is good. So if home use something like active@ which is about $50.

dugimodo
16-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I use windows backup to save an image to a local disk, then use my NAS's software to copy the backup to the NAS. all scheduled and automatic. It's a little clunky and slow but mostly I don't even notice it happening. I have no Idea if I'd be able to restore windows over the network with this system, but I figure worst case scenario is use my other PC to retrieve the backup onto a portable drive or something.

Of course this is all possible because I have an extra drive in my main PC just for backup reasons, it goes like this;
C: 120GB SSD for Windows and some key programs
D: 1TB WD Black for games, prgrams, storage
E: 1TB WD Green for backing up C: & D: with windows backup weekly

Then I have a Media PC with several TB of storage and a 4TB NAS for backing up everything important (it's slow and annoying, seriously considering building a cheap PC for this and stealing the HDDs from the NAS). Slight hijack but does anyone know if windows home server gets around windows 7 inability to backup over a network somehow?

linw
16-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Macrium Reflect (free) will image over the network.

jcr1
17-07-2012, 09:50 AM
A clone is for making an identical HDD what you should be doing is an image of the C drive. If this is Win7 home it can't do it over a network all other versions can.

Windows own backup program is good. So if home use something like active@ which is about $50.

I have win7 pro, but never really looked into the backup program. I've used syncback, which backs up over the network, once I map samba drives.

jcr1
17-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Then I have a Media PC with several TB of storage and a 4TB NAS for backing up everything important (it's slow and annoying, seriously considering building a cheap PC for this and stealing the HDDs from the NAS). Slight hijack but does anyone know if windows home server gets around windows 7 inability to backup over a network somehow?

I did something like that. I had a Synology NAS device. I wanted something I could use for storage, plus a web server. So I built a computer, took the 1tb drive out of the NAS, bought another 1 tb and a 2tb drive. Put them in the new machine. Installed proxmox, to run virtual os's etc (on the 1tb drives) and have the 2tb drive for storage. I have a Debian server, as a vm, on the 1st 1tb drive and it images (snapshot) to the 2tb drive weekly. If something goes wrong, it restores so easily; I tested it - brilliant! The directories on this vm (except website ones) are available from windows using samba.
On the 2nd 1tb drive, I have a clone of the vm mentioned above, which I use for playing around with, and if I go too far, I can remove it and restore it as it was a day or 2 before. Plus on that drive I have a preview win8 installation, just to see what it's like.
For me, it was hellish'n hard to set this all up (particularly the security aspects i.e. sftp) and I had to have help, in the form of this guy;
http://woodel.com/
I've posted about him before, but he is so helpful, and answered my queries immediately. I can't find any tutorial quite like this when searching. Although "howtoforge" have some that might come close.
A great project and keeps the brain working:lol:
If you want a NAS replacement, and you have the time, and you think it's your cup of tea, give it a go:thumbs:

17-07-2012, 05:50 PM
What would be the downside of just copying and pasting everything in the win7 hard drive to the server?

Just FYI
A copy and paste, can fail WITHOUT WARNING for a variety of common reasons (eg perhaps 1 unreadable/locked file)
ie get 1/2 way then just stop.
A backup/clone will(should) keep going on minor file copy issues & copy/clone the remaining files