PDA

View Full Version : How to identify what's downloading

excelsa
16-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I have an HP Mini netbook running Windows 7 starter. I use a Telecom T stick for internet with a 2GB plan.
To control downloads and preserve GBs I have all program and system updates set to notify rather than automatically download and install updates.
But every time I connect - something starts to download lots of megabytes (hundreds of MBs). That's OK when I'm near a free wifi but disturbing when when it chews up my expensive mobile data.

I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus or trojan going (I've checked with many antivirus and antimalware apps).

I suspect it's doing an auto update for a system issue or program that I haven't traced and turned off yet.

Can anyone advise me what may be happening or what I should look for? :stare:

How can I identify which programs or websites are accessing/downloading from the internet?

Many Thanks

Mike

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Its probably all the HP update entries that are under task scheduler. If starter has this. Install ccleaner. Then go to tools / startup / scheduled tasks. If there are entries here, (and theyre HP), they're probably for updates / they'll check for updates at some preset time

inphinity
16-07-2012, 12:37 PM
You could install a decent 3rd-party firewall like Comodo and use it's connection monitor to figure out what it is, and if necessary block it.

gary67
16-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Use the start up tab in Ccleaner and disable all the HP stuff for a start and then check what else is running

zqwerty
16-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Just download and run this, small and free, from SysInternals originally, you will be able to see what your computer is connected to:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/TCPView_program_34721.html