PDA

View Full Version : Strange behaviour

ojos
15-07-2012, 08:47 PM
A problem has been developing on my PC over the last week and I am stuck as to what to do.

All the icons have shot over to the left side of the screen
If I redo them they all go back again.
When I look at a directory using internet explorer the files are listed in reverse to normal
or just do not make sense of the order.

during the day the machine gets slower and slower on nearly everything

I had trouble booting up.
System restore I thought

It wouldn't go into safe mode.

When I got around that problem I scanned for viruses, spyware and malware
all clean

When I do system restore it goes through all the steps and then says could not restore to any date
(There are lots of available dates) none of them work.

Now it won't boot up fully.
It goes through all the usual steps and then when it does the icons in the bottom right of the screen it freezes.
I can't open or close anything and have to shut down by holding the power button on for 5 seconds

Does anyone know what this might be?

I would be sooo grateful

regards,
Ojos

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Post a hijackthis log in safe mode / networking. If it works

Nhashon
15-07-2012, 11:21 PM
what operating system r u using
, how my gb of ram is there and also how old is pc . Taking a guess , I guess it is a ram problem .

ojos
16-07-2012, 11:14 AM
hi,
How do I do a hijack this log, please

Ojos

ojos
16-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Using windows xp professional
machine is four years old
it has 8gb ram

regards,
Ojos

ChazTheGeek
16-07-2012, 11:18 AM
8GB RAM sounds plenty....have you ever defragged the PC??

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Reboot / hold F8 down, then select safe mode / networking. If it boots into windows, get teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com). <- click on this link. Install it then run it. Then send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM. And I can have a look from here. No point having 8 GB when XP can only use 3.5 GB. Remove 4 GB

Nhashon
16-07-2012, 12:01 PM
yes 8 gm sounds too high for. XP,

dugimodo
16-07-2012, 03:49 PM
The Icons behaviour just sounds like the auto arrange option got turned on and may have nothing to do with the rest of your problems.
Speedys kind offer with teamview is probably a great place to start.

Another thing to try is to start task manager (right click the task bar or try ctrl-alt-del and start it that way) and filter process by CPU usage and then RAM usage to see what is using the most and maybe kill a few processes to see if it speeds things up, worst case doing this is you lock up windows and have to force a shutdown if you stop something you shouldn't but it's unlikely to cause any new problems.

Have you installed any new software recently and how full is the hard drive?

ChazTheGeek
16-07-2012, 04:16 PM
You should be able to use 8GB RAM if you have 64 bit right?

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2012, 04:19 PM
If you have 64 bit. I think Ojos is using 32 bit

ChazTheGeek
16-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Ok. He won't be able to use 8GB RAM then.

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Well he did say he's using XP Pro. XP x64 doesnt have a Pro version AFAIK. Since, there's only 1 version of XP x64

mikebartnz
16-07-2012, 08:33 PM
what operating system r u using
, how my gb of ram is there and also how old is pc . Taking a guess , I guess it is a ram problem .
Please explain why you think it could be a ram problem.:rolleyes:

dugimodo
17-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Well he did say he's using XP Pro. XP x64 doesnt have a Pro version AFAIK. Since, there's only 1 version of XP x64 I have XP pro x64 edition sitting right in front of me. I think it's the only version and people don't give it it's full name. However it's not a common OS either way so odds are the OP is using regular xp pro and wasting half the RAM

bellbird
17-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I've got XP Home so it may be different but if you Right click desktop and see if Arrange Icons By is set to Auto as that setting will move all the icons to the left.

ChazTheGeek
17-07-2012, 08:52 PM
That's correct.