PDA

View Full Version : iPad and playing html5 video - is there a codex?? or whatever???

Aporosa
15-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi,
I'm a PC user and iPad is both new and foreign to me.
I am playing with now (iPad4) but it says I canot watch TVNZ on Demand becuase it will not play html5 video.
I have searched the net and the apps store but am confused. What do you have to do to find a player or codex to make html5 vids play on this thing?
Is there a codex you can download? If so, where from?
Should I throw this thing out the window???
Assistance please - and please use basic language coz I'm seriously lost!!
Cheers....:badpc:

icow
15-07-2012, 03:32 PM
You can't add extra codecs to the ipad unless there are 3rd party apps with them built in. IOS natively supports HTML5 videos so they should load fine. Are you sure they aren't flash based? Does it give you the error "movie could not be played" or "unsupported format"?

Aporosa
15-07-2012, 03:37 PM
thanks for response iCow.
Using the Safari app and tried to watch a programme on TVNZ on Demand and video screen area is white with message saying "We're sorry. This player is not enabled for HTML5 delivery". Same response through the google app.
I'm confused???

GameJunkie
15-07-2012, 04:00 PM
there's only been three ipads released, not four

Aporosa
15-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Sorry, this is a iPad 4G.... how do I get it to play TNVZ AND TV3 on demand video please?

GameJunkie
15-07-2012, 04:14 PM
we dont have 4G yet either lol

icow
15-07-2012, 04:14 PM
What that error is actually saying is that the player on the website does not have support for html5 (it is a flash video). To watch TVNZ on demand you will have to see if tvnz has an app on the appstore that does ondemand content or you could buy the skyfire app which lets you play flash based content.

Aporosa
15-07-2012, 04:31 PM
There is only an app for TVNZ News and not on demand programmes. A 2011 comment online said that you cannot watch TVNZ or TV3 on demand programmes on a iPad because "it thinks you are outside NZ" (http://www.iphonewzealand.co.nz/forum/apps/flash-videos-on-ipadiphone-does-skyfire-work-well-for-nz-sites/).
Is this for real?? Can you not watch TVNZ or TV3 on demand on an iPad?
If this is correct, all the bad things I have thought about Apple products is true..... someone PLEASE tell me I'm wrong....

Nick G
15-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry, but you are right. It will not play. End of story, unless it is jailbroken.

Aporosa
15-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks Nick G.... you have confirmed my fear. iPads are a piece of rubbish....... what a joke!!! Long like the PC!!!

icow
15-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Damn TVNZ ondemand is regionlocked. Skyfire won't work.

Aporosa
15-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks iCow - well actually "no" thanks.... I'm shocked, for real bro!! This amazes me. Apple are supposed to be 'quality' products but they can't even do the basics like play a tv programme. I was always suspicious of them..... thoughts confirmed.

icow
15-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Skyfire *might* work with this page: http://www.newzealandproxy.com/ assuming it's hosted in/from New Zealand.

plod
15-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks iCow - well actually "no" thanks.... I'm shocked, for real bro!! This amazes me. Apple are supposed to be 'quality' products but they can't even do the basics like play a tv programme. I was always suspicious of them..... thoughts confirmed.Or it could be tvnz and tv3 need to get with the news and support html5, flash is going to be dead on all mobile platforms soon

sahilcc7
15-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Whaaat? Ipads cant play tvnz on demand?? That's pathetic. Works perfectly on my transformer prime!

Nick G
15-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Whaaat? Ipads cant play tvnz on demand?? That's pathetic. Works perfectly on my transformer prime!
yup. yet another reason go go with android.

plod
15-07-2012, 09:23 PM
yup. yet another reason go go with android.Sure is, untill you want a jellybean device. And from August 15, no more flash installs full stop. So I suggest you buy your life times supply of android products now, with the old OS install flash and be happy while the rest of us move on

Nick G
15-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Sure is, untill you want a jellybean device. And from August 15, no more flash installs full stop. So I suggest you buy your life times supply of android products now, with the old OS install flash and be happy while the rest of us move on
I know, it sucks that flash is going from android. HTML5 is the way to go, but the legacy would be nice

lakewoodlady
15-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Well, I can get tvnz on demand on my android, but not able to watch iSky! So that is annoying too! Sky keep saying they are going to fix it, but it hasn't happened yet........

LL