PDA

View Full Version : Sky Drive

smurf
15-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I see Hotmail Accounts are now offering Sky Drive, a cloud storage facility. Has anyone used this sort of thing and how secure (trustworthy) is such a thing. The thought of putting files etc "out there" seems a bit risky. Is it? Comments and thoughts would be appreciated :)

PeterQ
15-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I use skydrive and have had no problems, as far as security i dont know but i trust Microsoft to do the right thing

wainuitech
15-07-2012, 02:53 PM
I use skydrive and have had no problems, as far as security i dont know but i trust Microsoft to do the right thing

x2 MS are less likely to go belly up as well, so your data should be safer. Mind you, I only have a few files uploaded to Skydrive, mainly as 3rd backups to the normal backups I use. People may rubbish MS, but you'll find their security for this type of thing wouldn't be taken lightly.

GameJunkie
15-07-2012, 03:59 PM
i've got dropbox, skydrive and google drive with the same files on each

no issues for me so far

Nick G
15-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I've got skydrive. I like it. As wainuitech said, being M$ they are not going to fail suddenly. Even if they can it, they should give you time to get anything off.
No issues.

icow
15-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I've got skydrive and dropbox. Personally I find dropbox better as it integrates nicely with windows.

Nick G
15-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I've got skydrive and dropbox. Personally I find dropbox better as it integrates nicely with windows.
I know, I've got both as well. You'd think skydrive would wouldn't you, but no :confused:

linw
16-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Just be careful what you put in syncing drives. I synced with my 'DATA' folder which happens to have my TB and FF profiles in it. Took a few days to realise that the constant modem activity was caused by this syncing. Even worse, the uploads were 3GB per day when my data cap was 20GB!

Apart from that, this free storage seems like a useful service to me.

smurf
16-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Thank you to all who have replied. Interesting comments:)

pcuser42
16-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I know, I've got both as well. You'd think skydrive would wouldn't you, but no :confused:

The SkyDrive app works well...