PDA

View Full Version : Overview of my Custom PC?

CurriedChicken
14-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Hello,

I am new to all of this "Custom Building" stuff with computers. After a few weeks of research I have discovered what I need and want from online discussions and reviews.

Here are my questions:
- Is the case compatible with everything? (Enough USB Ports, enough room etc.)
- Do these parts work well with each other?
- Is there anything I can change?
- I am planing to over-clock, so would the Cosair H80 Liquid Cooler be enough to handle the heat? (Or a H100 is necessary? Or another brand??)
- How much Watts do I need? 750?
- Am I missing any essential parts? (EXCLUDING PSU, MONITOR, MOUSE, KEYBOARD, SPEAKERS)

I'm buying all of the parts from overseas (http://www.newegg.com/), EXCEPT a PSU, because obviously due to voltage, it wouldn't work in New Zealand, then I'm using a parcel forwarding service (comGateway). Will I be able to order parts from USA then use a New Zealand PSU? I've heard that is possible.

Here is my build: (All from NewEgg.com)

- Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

- MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

- CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

- ASUS DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS

- Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

- SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

- MSI R7970 Lightning Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

- CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

- Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thanks,

dugimodo
14-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Work out your Power supply requirements at a site like http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
It doesn't hurt to add a bit for future growth or upgrades though.

Overseas PSUs are actually quite likely to work here just check the input voltage specs if you go that way and make sure it states it can handle 240V, most are either autosensing or have a switch to select voltage. You would need a local power cord is all.
Manufacturers save money by making the same model for all markets.

Why buy from overseas though, does it really save that much? If you have any issues you make things much harder on yourself, having to ship one faulty component back overseas will likely negate any cost savings.
Then there are warranty issues, NZ consumer law doesn't protect you from overseas suppliers.

As for your part list, it looks like a nice enough PC I'm sure you'll be happy with it and all the parts should work together.
The only thing to check is what length the graphics card is and what the case can accommodate. How many USB ports you need is an entirely personal decision.

jonovw
18-07-2012, 04:48 PM
And you will have to pay a NZ Customs fee and GST if the value of imported goods is over $400 NZD at the time of arrival in NZ.

icow
18-07-2012, 05:08 PM
NewEgg won't ship direct to NZ.

Also from memory SanDisk SSD's use a sandforce controller as opposed to the marvell one. The sandforce one apparently has a habit of breaking.

stratex5
18-07-2012, 05:12 PM
And to use the pc you need a mouse, keyboard and monitor. PSU go safe and get more than you need.

icow
18-07-2012, 05:17 PM
And to use the pc you need a mouse, keyboard and monitor. PSU go safe and get more than you need.

(EXCLUDING PSU, MONITOR, MOUSE, KEYBOARD, SPEAKERS)

Really?

Iantech
18-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I would be hessitant about buying any components of value from overseas. I've had new items from my suppliers being faulty, its so much easier to take them back and get them swapped out, I would hate to try and deal with some overseas company, its just not worth the risk in my opinion.
Sounds like a nice build though, an 850W PSU should be enough for the job. But that calculator link that Dugi posted will give you a close idea.

stratex5
18-07-2012, 05:27 PM
opps i thought it said including monitor, mouse, keyboard and psu.;)

Bener
18-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Have you worked out the price difference between using NZ suppliers (I assume you've used pricespy before) and shipping it from NewEgg? I'm sure that after postage, currency conversion, customs charges etc. that saving on list price would be negated (as others have mentioned).

If you have done the maths with everything included, how much will you be saving?

Slankydudl
18-07-2012, 10:02 PM
if you can avoid buying overseas as it just makes it more expensive and adds the risk of it breaking.
List of nz companys i buy from:
www.computerlounge.co.nz
www.ascent.co.nz
www.pp.co.nz

stratex5
18-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Really?

Why did you get rid of derp?

pctek
19-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Not a fan of MSI either, have seen too high a failure rate................I'd go with Gigabyte or ASUS.

SolMiester
20-07-2012, 02:08 PM
What resolution in the monitor, I wouldnt go HD7970, despite what fanATIc say, AMD may make good hardware, but their software support is still 2nd place to NV by a long shot, and unless you are using 3 monitors the 3GB of memory will not give you any benefit and in actual fact at 1080, the NV GTX680 of 670 is a better choice for both noise levels and power consumption.

icow
20-07-2012, 02:37 PM
If you go the nvidia route buy a 670, for the extra $100-$200 the 680 isn't worth it. Personally i'd just get the 7950 and overclock it to the level of a 7970. The nVidia drivers are probably more stable but I wouldn't say the ati ones are so bad they are unusable, the catalyst drivers are very stable at the moment and if an unstable version of drivers do come out you can always roll back to the previous set of drivers until they fix up the stability issues. Personally I think drivers should never stop you from buying a video card.

SolMiester
20-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Its is if you have to wait for a fix for your favourite game...BF3, only just recd its fix, over 6 mths!...Bite frost 2 engine is popular this year and for next, NV has 50% performance improvement on AMD on this engine....
CF & Eyefinity is STILL balked....over 6mths...GCN doesnt play nicely with DX9 games UNLESS AMD codes optimisations into the driver!!?.

icow
20-07-2012, 04:36 PM
There was a problem with bf3 and ati cards? cant say I noticed it.