PDA

View Full Version : Best free Dynamic DNS service?

wratterus
14-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Used to always use dyndns, but unless I'm missing something, they don't offer free accounts anymore.

I just want a service that works well with the dyndns update option in the modem - I've tried using no-ip.org at the moment, but for some reason the modem (TP-Link TD-W8960N) doesn't seem to keep updating it enough, and we keep receiving the 'your account is inactive and will be deleted' message. I would rather avoid installing an update client on one of the PCs there, but that would sort out the issue.

I'm using the exact same modem with my own dyndns settings at home, and it works perfectly. What is everyone using at the moment?

Cheers. :)

Chilling_Silence
14-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah I used to as well. No-IP is the way to go.

http://www.dyndnscommunity.com/questions/21580/from-dyn-what-happened-to-free-accounts.html

WarNox
14-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Sorry for the delay in being able to respond to folks, but wanted to make sure I had accurate information before I posted anything. Dyn has shifted away from offering free DNS, but now offer Pro DNS Trials. Users will be able to sign up for a Pro trial with a credit card and be able to take advantage of all that Pro has to offer for 14 days at no cost to them. At any point in time, users can cancel their trial, and as a thanks for trying it out, they will be able to keep one of their host names for free.

Hmm that sucks, hopefully nothing will change with the existing accounts.

Can't you just add another host name to your current free account? I've got 2 under my one.