PDA

View Full Version : Friends SATA HDD not recognised.

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Hey folks, my friends SATA HDD is not recognized by the BIOS. It's the primary one so he can't boot into windows XP.
His house is run by solar power so they have the occasional power cut, that may have been the problem as power cuts are damaging to HDD's.
Or is could have been electrostatic electricity as he um...put the opened up PC on the carpet:horrified. His PSU and SATA connections were thoroughly checked by my friend and myself. It was working till he switched it off then turned it on again. :groan:. Do you people have any fixes?? Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Try another SATA cable or port

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I switched around the ports but...I didn't try a different cable/use the DVD cable. I give that one a go.
Is there any jumpers on the mobo I should remove or anything, I'm not too sure...just an idea.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Is the SATA hdd SATA 1 or 2?? And does the mobo support 1 or 2??

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Probably 2, not really sure. How do I find out?
I'm not sure if the mobo supports 1 either.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Whats the brand/model of the mobo? The only other reason (besides dead . faulty port/cable) the BIOS cant see it, is the mobo supports SATA 1 and the hdd is SATA 2. You have to switch the jumper on the back of the hdd to SATA 1 / SATA 150.

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 05:17 PM
The brand of the mobo is probably foxcon or HP as the computer happens to be a HP slimline with an Intel P4 HT :p.
I'll see if I can get the mobo model for you tomorrow and post it. I may or may not be able to.
I'll also check the jumpers out on the back of the HDD.

wainuitech
12-07-2012, 05:21 PM
If it was going before, then its either died or has received a zap.

Putting a PC on carpet on its own wont generally do any harm, BUT having the PC on Carpet, and fiddling about inside can cause static damage.

The drive may have died, it happens without warning.

Two ways to test. Attach the suspect drive to another PC and see if its detected, and/or attach another drive to the friends PC and see if that shows.

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys. I have attached another drive to the PC but it was IDE.
I have no way to test the drive at the mo.
Do you have a way to recover data?

wainuitech
12-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Yep - depends if the drive spins up or not. If the drive wont even spin up then its gonna be a lot harder.

Depends on whats happened as well if the drive spins up.

One I used yesterday/day was http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/ the free version only allows you to recover 1GB TOTAL. The paid one does unlimited.

Used it to recover data from a drive that had the partition blown away and reformatted, See this thread:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?125671-That-Damn-Mr.-nobody-is-at-it-again

Theres some free ones about, but you get what you pay for sometimes :p

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 05:33 PM
It spins.

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
I suppose it's best to get a techie to do it for my friend. He probably doesn't want me to accidentally stuff up :nerd:

wainuitech
12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
If the drive spins up,then there's a good chance data can be recovered,

Bit of advise (as you mentioned), if you're not sure what you are doing then take it to someone who does.

While no one is perfect, some people don't really care if they stuff up others data, and fiddling about can cause more harm than good.

I have several Data recovery programs all paid ones, some do better jobs than others, depending on what's gone wrong. Just because its not showing in the BIOS doesn't mean a data recovery program wont see the drive. GetDataback for example often see's drives that dont show in the BIOS.

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks mate. Will talk to my friend and see what he wants to do. May even consider getting a new old PC off trade me. I can't be stuffed buying a new drive and fiddling with a HP slimline :p

mikebartnz
12-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Is there any jumpers on the mobo I should remove or anything, I'm not too sure...just an idea.
I wouldn't think there would be any jumpers on the MB but there is quite likely a bios setting so check that just to make sure they haven't had a fiddle there.:devil

SolMiester
13-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Sounds like your friend needs to get a UPS, especially if he is on solar power....

ChazTheGeek
13-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I thought of that too and I told him. He says that's a good idea.

Iantech
13-07-2012, 10:03 AM
May even consider getting a new old PC off trade me. I can't be stuffed buying a new drive and fiddling with a HP slimline :pGo have a look at some of the ex-lease boxes at the Computer Broker (http://www.computerbroker.co.nz/category/Ex-Lease%20Boxes), reasonable pricing plus 3 month warranty. I dont know how they compare with trademe pricing, but maybe worth considering if you dont have much to spend.

ChazTheGeek
13-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks but trade me happens to be cheaper at the moment.

ChazTheGeek
13-07-2012, 05:23 PM
My mate had a little fiddle with the PC last night and he managed to get it going. It turned out that some how the SATA cords were in the wrong places.
Not quite sure what he meant, but it's fixed now, he was worried he couldn't play far cry 2 while the PC was out of action :p.

mikebartnz
16-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Sounds like your friend needs to get a UPS, especially if he is on solar power....
That shows a total misunderstanding of an off grid system as a solar system with a battery bank or two and a good inverter is just one big UPS. If they have been getting power cuts while the computer is on they have not been monitoring the system properly so their fault.

ChazTheGeek
16-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Meh...

dugimodo
16-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I'd be interested to know what kind of power cut manages to rearrange the sata cables :P
The first thing to try when a PC misbehaves after a power cut is to unplug it from the wall and wait a few minutes, sometimes all they need is a completely clean re-boot.
Sometimes problems are caused by people trying to fix issues that could have been sorted this way.

Whenu
17-07-2012, 09:42 AM
If your mate has a power system to run a house, can they not run the computer straight from the batterries ?
Using the inverter to step up the voltage so that the PSU can step it down again seems a bit of a waste.

dugimodo
17-07-2012, 03:22 PM
If your mate has a power system to run a house, can they not run the computer straight from the batterries ?
Using the inverter to step up the voltage so that the PSU can step it down again seems a bit of a waste.

Interesting Idea but you'd need a DC-DC power supply and then you couldn't use the PC anywhere else. The only DC PSU's I've seen are either very low powered or very expensive and are generally intended for automotive use with low powered PC's Also solar installations are often 24V or higher (saves on cable size) so you probably couldn't use an off the shelf option anyway. It would probably be easy enough to make your own using 3 pin regulators if you don't mind a bit of soldering.

Easiest option if you have regular power outages is to use a laptop :), and as someone mentioned earlier if you generate your own power and get taken by surprise by a power outage with the computer on it's just bad management.

mikebartnz
17-07-2012, 09:31 PM
As the system would more than likely be 24v you would still need it stepped down.