PDA

View Full Version : External HDD wont play on my TV.

Bryan
12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I have a win7 64bit PC and a Samsung Syncmaster monitor.

If I attach my ext. HDD (1 TB partitioned as FAT32) directly to the monitor I can read the content (mainly videos) without problem.

Up until recently I could also play the HDD through the USB port on my 42" Panasonic TV.

Now when I connect the ext. HDD to the TV I get two messages.

1. USB detected by the TV and
2. No disk detected.

I am unable to get the TV to recognise the ext. HDD and I am wondering if anyone else might have a suggestion or solution.

Zara Baxter
12-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi Bryan,

I suspect you may have to format the drive to get it to be recognised again. You say the drive still works on the monitor, but have you checked that a flash drive (or alternate drive) works okay on the port so that you know it's not the TV USB port that's the problem?

Bryan
12-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks Zara. Sorry I should have said. Yes a flashdrive with several random videos do work in the TV USB drive.

The Ext. HDD has worked before on the TV and I suspect that just maybe something I have downloaded/added to the HDD has caused a corruption of some sort. Its as though the codecs might have changed on the HDD and aren't recognised by the TV's setup.

gary67
12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Is this a net capable TV and if so has it done any updates?

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2012, 02:23 PM
What codecs. It doesnt need any. Is it connected by power?

Bryan
12-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes it is net capable but I am unaware of any updates. My manual says that automatic updating is performed when the TV is at standby (TV is turned off by the remote) and this is what I do, so it is possible that the TV has been updated.

And yes, I made sure that the power to the ext. HDD was on.

SolMiester
12-07-2012, 03:39 PM
What codecs. It doesnt need any. Is it connected by power?
err, everything needs codecs if it needs to read the file correctly!

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2012, 03:54 PM
On a TV?

wratterus
12-07-2012, 04:18 PM
They'll be built in to the software on the tv - divx for example.

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2012, 04:54 PM
On a TV?

Yup a codec is HOW it interprets the file. Doesn't matter if it's a TV, a PC, a Media Player or a Cellphone, it must have the correct codec support.

Bryan, I'm presuming it's not the codecs because of the second error you get which points more to the HDD partitioning / layout / filesystem (Though not guaranteed).
Don't just format, but entirely repartition the drive, just-in-case, and give that a go :)

Zara Baxter
12-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Chill, you're giving me flashbacks to my "how to tell what codec your file uses, and how to find something that plays it" how-tos of previous magazine eras. <twitch>

Bryan
12-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks Chill. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What I would do is format the drive to FAT32 (so it will play on the TV). Then I would recreate a partition and then copy in the files. Have I missed anything?

sk69ersnz
12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
I find with my Panasonic tv the format has to be done through the tv itself (under options,then format)

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
@Bryan, Delete the partition entirely, then re-create and format it as FAT32.
sk69ersnz has a good point, your TV may have that option

@Zara,
Funny stuff :D it's good to have you posting on here more often too!

Bryan
13-07-2012, 08:19 AM
OK I have found the problem. I did reformat the drive and copied the video files back down. I was wondering if the fact that I had a 64 bit system might be a problem even by formatting as FAT32 so I could play it on the TV. Seems that wasn't the problem!

What I did discover was that I was attempting to attach tha ext. HDD to the TV whilst the TV was turned on. I turned off the TV, made sure that the HDD was attached and turned on and thenI turned on the TV. This acted as a reboot and the HHD was finally recognised.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and I hope my solution could help someone in the future.

linw
13-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Good one. Seems these 'smart' TVs aren't quite smart enough, sometimes!