PDA

View Full Version : That Damn Mr. nobody is at it again

wainuitech
12-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Usual story -XP PC wont boot - no big deal, generally not to hard to fix.

XP Repair functions wont work at all from either XP CD/Command Prompts , different error messages which I haven't seen in years.:illogical

Slave the Drive, look at the directory structure and WTF -- Someone had wiped off the partition and it was a 3/4 install of Windows98, it was formatted from NTFS (Old XP) to Fat32

Of course no one knew who did it :xmouth:

Now comes the fun part, doing the data recovery from the deleted partition. Left the recovery program running overnight and so far recovering just over 200GB of their data.

Goes to prove, you can delete a partition- and data can still be recovered :thumbs:

Gobe1
12-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Wainui deserves a DB :thumbs:

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 11:08 AM
+1

Iantech
12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
A very lucky client, thing is, they will never understand what went into recoving their data and you will probably be unable to charge out the actual time spent working on it.

Have had to do similar and was very surprised at the data still on the drive from a previous installation.

Well done WT :thumbs:

CYaBro
12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
One client had an Asus laptop that wouldn't boot one day, so what do they do to fix it?
Why run the factory restore of course! Which does a format and reinstall of the main partition!
Then they wondered where all their data had gone once Windows was up and running again.

We recovered pretty much all their data bar a few photos that had been overwritten.

Renegade
12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Had a guy a few weeks back that, for some reason, ran the HP recovery to "fix" something. He did the factory default nuke and ended up losing all his data too. I managed to get most of it back. At least he owned up and admitted he'd done something stupid. It's the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Mr Nobody's that are a real worry :D

Cicero
12-07-2012, 12:37 PM

I was thinking OBE!

SP8's
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Don't insult the man ... give him a REAL beer .... Speights of course ... :lol:

R2x1
12-07-2012, 01:32 PM
The trouble with Speights is deciding if it has been previously used ;)

SP8's
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
At the conference of the New Zealand Hotels Association, the Sales Managers of Heineken, Corona, Steinlager, Lion Red and Speights found themselves sitting at the same table for lunch.

When the waitress asked what they wanted to drink …

The manager of DB says, "I'll have a double brown thanks"
The Sales Manager for Heineken said without hesitation, “I’ll have a Premium Lager”
The Sales Manager of Corona smiled and said, “Make mine a Corona Extra”
To which the Sales Manager of Steinlager said, “I’ll have a Classic, the King of Beers”
And the bloke from Lion Red asked for a stubbie of Lion, “The cleanest draught on the planet”

The Sales Boss of Speights paused a moment and then placed his order ... “I’ll have a Diet Coke please”

The others looked at him has if he had sprouted a new head.

“Well”, he said with a shrug, “if you tossers aren't drinking beer, then neither will I”

gary67
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
real beer comes from micro breweries not any of those corporate multi brewery places and since most of the big names are owned by Lion Nathan who make Gnat's Pi^% that only leaves the excellent small local breweries

johcar
12-07-2012, 01:57 PM
real beer comes from micro breweries not any of those corporate multi brewery places and since most of the big names are owned by Lion Nathan who make Gnat's Pi^% that only leaves the excellent small local breweries

Listen to this man - he knows what he's talking about!!!

gary67
12-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Listen to this man - he knows what he's talking about!!!

Thankyou

SP8's
12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Yep ... have to agree with that ... we have several micro breweries down here that make quite a nice drop.

However ... does falling off a barstool at 5.30pm 4 days a week make Gary an expert in this field .... :lol:

gary67
12-07-2012, 02:20 PM
In my opinion drunks make poor connoisseurs of beer or spirits and on that note remember bourbon is NOT whisky this is a bourbon is

Iantech
12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Tell that to Jim Beam :D

Gobe1
12-07-2012, 03:09 PM
How that hell did this get on to beer??

R2x1
12-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Micro breweries make micro beer for micro thirsts. It's alright for putting out (small) fires though, also proven efficacious for gluing leather trousers to wooden seats.

Best enjoyed in small quantities, drunk by someone else.

R2x1
12-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Eventually, everything does. ;)

gary67
12-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Wainui was offered one

Gobe1
12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Wainui was offered one

DOH! haha forgot i posted that

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
:D

Billy T
12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
The trouble with Speights is deciding if it has been previously used ;)

All beer has been previously used, then carefully kidney-filtered before recycling back into the bottle or can. Some escapes and tours around for a while before finally finding its way back with the help of dogs, cats, horses, the odd elephant and hippo, and the occasional jimmy riddle against a fence.

That is why they don't have special 'vintage' beers, they are all vintage and very cosmopolitan with it. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

wainuitech
12-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Wainui was offered one AND I'm still waiting :(

To hell with it, I 'll get my own lol. Sad state of affairs when you have to do that ;)

Oh and the data - all recovered, the owner is over the moon, she told me (she thinks) she knows what happened and they have been "spoken to" ;)

ChazTheGeek
12-07-2012, 08:07 PM
:nerd:

mikebartnz
12-07-2012, 10:02 PM
At the conference of the New Zealand Hotels Association, the Sales Managers of Heineken, Corona, Steinlager, Lion Red and Speights found themselves sitting at the same table for lunch.

When the waitress asked what they wanted to drink …

The manager of DB says, "I'll have a double brown thanks"
The Sales Manager for Heineken said without hesitation, “I’ll have a Premium Lager”
The Sales Manager of Corona smiled and said, “Make mine a Corona Extra”
To which the Sales Manager of Steinlager said, “I’ll have a Classic, the King of Beers”
And the bloke from Lion Red asked for a stubbie of Lion, “The cleanest draught on the planet”

The Sales Boss of Speights paused a moment and then placed his order ... “I’ll have a Diet Coke please”

The others looked at him has if he had sprouted a new head.

“Well”, he said with a shrug, “if you tossers aren't drinking beer, then neither will I”
:D:D

Paul.Cov
12-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Regarding the original topic, I wonder if the kid in the house was indignant at having 'only Win 7' installed when they could upgrade all the way to Win 98.
Stupid parents were using a version of Windows that was 91 versions out of date, huh?

As for the beers. I'll add more support for the micro breweries.
Don't like to mention how much I went through after a break from the bottled stuff a few months ago, but it went down fast and easy with no sting in the tail the next morning, whereas the bottled stuff is kinda self-limiting regarding how much of the stuff you can stomach in one go.