PDA

View Full Version : Netgear Wireless Router

bk T
11-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Neightbour going wireless - looking at this Netgear (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODNGR1281079&name=NETGEAR-DGN2200M-100AUS-ADSL2+-Wireless-N300-Modem) for him. Anyone here using this model?

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah don't do it. I've seen a lot of those through work run into issues, he's potentially better off with his ISP-supplied router in some instances...

Does he want it to do DSL or *just* act as an Access Point?

wainuitech
12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I've put in several of the other model of that , the Netgear DGN2200 Doesn't have the M for the Port for Mobile 3G - no complaints and works fine.

I've also got a Netgear WN604 Wireless-N 150 Access Point outside and its rock solid, only problem was its setup to the LAN was slightly different, its not simply plug and go.

bk T
12-07-2012, 10:04 AM
How about this Linksys X300 (http://new.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODLKS1723040&name=CISCO-LINKSYS-X3000-300-Mbps-Wireless-N-ADSL-2+-Mo) ?

Chilling_Silence: He is using the ISP supplied Speedtouch (without wireless) and just got himself a laptop and would like to try something 'new'. LOL

wainuitech: which other model of Netgear?

linw
12-07-2012, 10:26 AM
See if TC will provide the wireless one. They can only say no.

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2012, 10:34 AM
TelstraClear have been giving away a relatively decent model of the Netcomm series. It's N-Wireless, not *quite* as good as the NB6Plus4Wn, but still pretty darn good.

I'm with linw, get them to sign up for 12 months and get themselves a free router out of it, because TelstraClear are one of the few places that are giving away a semi-decent one.

bk T
12-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Will get him to contact Telecom for a new wireless router, free??

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Err OK if it's Telecom, then flag it, don't even bother...

Get him looking in to this: http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=404626

linw
12-07-2012, 01:26 PM
For most people, including me, the TC modem works fine. Chill, you place big demands on routers that most of us just don't require. If you need high bandwidth and need to fiddle with settings I'd agree with you but if you have one PC and just do email and browse then the TC one is fine. No setting up required, just plug it in.

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Yeah that's all fine and dandy until they bring over their nephews laptop, plug it in and find it brings everything to a crawl though, that's all I'm suggesting. They're clearly OK with the prospect of spending some dosh to get WiFi, might as well get something decent right? ;-)

adslgeek
12-07-2012, 11:11 PM
The testing of the DSL side of performance of the Thomson / Technicolor routers I have seen are very stable and fast when connecting to Alcatel DSLAMs - not seen them perform on Red or Purple networks.

What's your beef @Chill? I haven't played much with the wifi side of support but their techs / developers are all really intelligent.

I do agree I love the Netcomm NB6 - it's just the Dynalink RTA1025W in a bigger case.

The Ciscos should be OK? I know some of the newer Linksys wifi quality was getting fairly crappy - has that been fixed? Has it shown up in th Ciscos?

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2012, 11:16 PM
The testing of the DSL side of performance of the Thomson / Technicolor routers I have seen are very stable and fast when connecting to Alcatel DSLAMs - not seen them perform on Red or Purple networks.
Yeah and they sync fast with the ikanos stuff too, but that's not really the issue, it's staying on that's the problem ;)

What's your beef @Chill? I haven't played much with the wifi side of support but their techs / developers are all really intelligent.
Come over to my place for dinner one night and I'll gladly show you! You'll be amazed how fast those things absolutely crash and *burn*... BYO to plug in to my network, or I've got some here, and I can show you them really die, like the TG585 for example :)

I do agree I love the Netcomm NB6 - it's just the Dynalink RTA1025W in a bigger case.
The NB6Plus4W was basically the RTA1025W IIRC, where as the NB6Plus4Wn has better and more stable firmware, more RAM, and a slightly faster processor too.

The Ciscos should be OK? I know some of the newer Linksys wifi quality was getting fairly crappy - has that been fixed? Has it shown up in th Ciscos?
I've not tested the actual *Cisco* branded stuff, although I know that some of them are literally rebranded Linksys WAG-series stuff, of which they were prone to overheating and load-related issues.
The Cisco Small-business stuff is great, but their home stuff not so much...