PDA

View Full Version : Farmside + Ping

mikebartnz
11-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Anyone here using Farmside Satelite care to use SpeedTest and show your ping times.
Been at a guys place and his has been over 1100. Been having a lot of problems with DNSQueryTimeouts so increased it by adding the registry setting but wondering if the dish may be a little out of line as it has been getting worse.

pctek
12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
That's normal for Farmside, lag is bad....all my satellite customers had pings of around 1000 ish.

It's not exactly common for the dish to move you know, when it's installed, it's aligned and then bolted in position.
Unless you have an earthquake or go fiddle with the bolts, it's not going to move.

inphinity
12-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Current satellite connectivity has innately high latency. A 1-second roundtrip between your device & your ISP is not unreasonable, so to get 1100ms to services beyond your ISP is actually fairly decent as far as a satellite service goes. You typically have about a 200 - 250ms transmissions time between your device & the relay satellite, so thats at least 800ms of the overall roundtrip, and that's without accounting for any network delays.

mikebartnz
12-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks good people. It is just the fact that they were getting more and more problems with the DNSQueryTimeouts that I thought it may have been something else. By adding the change to the registry it appears to have made the net bearable again. It would have driven me insane having to hit the try again button all the time as they did.

inphinity
12-07-2012, 09:08 PM
iirc the default DNS timeout for most versions of Windows is 2seconds, so with an average latency around 1100ms, I'd be unsurprised if there were frequent spikes to ~2sec. It may also come down to which DNS servers you're using - if the ISPs servers are not handling the load they're under, that will introduce further delays.

mikebartnz
12-07-2012, 09:26 PM
iirc the default DNS timeout for most versions of Windows is 2seconds, so with an average latency around 1100ms, I'd be unsurprised if there were frequent spikes to ~2sec. It may also come down to which DNS servers you're using - if the ISPs servers are not handling the load they're under, that will introduce further delays.
Wrong the default is a REG_MULTI_SZ of 1 2 2 4 8 0 so the first attempt is 1 sec, and I have tried various DNS servers with no change.

inphinity
12-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Wrong the default is a REG_MULTI_SZ of 1 2 2 4 8 0 so the first attempt is 1 sec, and I have tried various DNS servers with no change.

Sorry, yes, read it wrong. Even at the defaults, though, an 8 second timeout should be plenty.

mikebartnz
12-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Sorry, yes, read it wrong. Even at the defaults, though, an 8 second timeout should be plenty.
I increased it to 4 8 8 16 32 0 and it appears to be working well.

adslgeek
12-07-2012, 10:55 PM
I love the Internet where you can just directly say "Wrong" unlike real life where you have to be all polite and stuff ;-)

My understanding was that satellite adds large latency but the throughput is ok?

Is the farmside using dial for the upstream like iHugs Ultra used to?

Is that service still around?

mikebartnz
12-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Is the farmside using dial for the upstream like iHugs Ultra used to?
Satellite all the way. These people are on a radio phone system so there is no way they would want to use any sort of dialup.

nedkelly
13-07-2012, 12:10 AM
I hate radio phone systems, customer called up wanting to run a fax over one, glad they never called back and I could close the case :devil

mikebartnz
13-07-2012, 12:57 AM
the fax runs at about 14.4 so isn't too bad. On a good day that is about what you get on dialup.

mark1978
15-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Farmside is ****