PDA

View Full Version : ei-cfg removal

bk T
11-07-2012, 01:28 PM
I've got an original HP Win7 Prof install DVD and have saved an iso (using ISO recorder) copy to my HDD. Tried to remove the ei.cfg file so that I could use it for all versions of Win7 installation; but when executing the 'ei.cfg remover utility', error message pops up :

"ei.cfg not found.
Make sure that the disc image is uncorrupted and that the file system is UDF, not Joliet"

I'm pretty sure that the iso image is not corrupted as I've burnt a DVD from it and tested to install on a machine. Also, have checked the install DVD that the file ei.cfg is there. When running the ISO recorder, there isn't any option to choose the file system format.

Any idea what have I done wrong?

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Delete it before you create the ISO

bk T
11-07-2012, 01:55 PM
I created the ISO from the original DVD, can't delete it from the DVD!

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Thats why I said before you create the ISO

bk T
11-07-2012, 02:28 PM
How do I remove it from the DVD?

Nick G
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't think you can, I think you'll need to create another ISO

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2012, 03:06 PM
You cant since its read only. You'll have to copy the dvd to the hdd then delete that file. Then make the ISO again

CYaBro
11-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Why bother with an ISO and DVD?
If you've got a spare 4GB USB pen drive get the Microsoft USB creater to make the USB into a bootable Win7 installer then delete the ei-cfg file yourself from the USB stick.
Boot from the USB stick to install Win7, much faster than from a DVD.
http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/en-GB/Service-Centre/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool

bk T
11-07-2012, 03:59 PM
That makes sense - never thought of that.

Thanks

Nick G
11-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Why bother with an ISO and DVD?
If you've got a spare 4GB USB pen drive get the Microsoft USB creater to make the USB into a bootable Win7 installer then delete the ei-cfg file yourself from the USB stick.
Boot from the USB stick to install Win7, much faster than from a DVD.
http://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/en-GB/Service-Centre/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool

Why bother with an ISO on a DVD?
Well, pretty much anything will boot from a dvd. Such as, the LAN I was at, someone wanted me to install win8 to dual boot with...vista.....
This was at 4am, so I was pretty shattered, but I still tried; I didn't have a dvd with me, only flash sticks. I went into his bios, and set to boot from...wait, the option wasn't there. So I plug it in regardless, and start up, having prepared a 60gb partition for win8 to go onto. it gave me an option to boot from usb, and I though that vista was actually being helpful. But, no, it wouldn't do it. A dvd would have worked.

CYaBro
11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Most newer machines see a bootable USB stick as a hard drive so you need to change the hard drive boot order to put the USB stick first.
We hardly ever get a machine in the workshop that won't boot from USB, usually only very old XP machines are the ones that give issues.

We've moved away from installing from USB now anyway and have setup a server running Windows Deployment Services in the workshop.
Even more machines support PXE booting from the network than booting from USB so very rarely now we have to resort to USB or CD/DVD.

Nick G
11-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Most newer machines see a bootable USB stick as a hard drive so you need to change the hard drive boot order to put the USB stick first.
We hardly ever get a machine in the workshop that won't boot from USB, usually only very old XP machines are the ones that give issues.

We've moved away from installing from USB now anyway and have setup a server running Windows Deployment Services in the workshop.
Even more machines support PXE booting from the network than booting from USB so very rarely now we have to resort to USB or CD/DVD.

Damn, do they? I guess that's why most people don't try to install a new os at 4am :p
I didn't notice another HDD, but I wasn't looking for one so there could easily have been one.

:thanks:

CYaBro
11-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Damn, do they? I guess that's why most people don't try to install a new os at 4am :p
I didn't notice another HDD, but I wasn't looking for one so there could easily have been one.

:thanks:

Haha yea 4am you'd be like -_-
They won't actually show up on the list of hard drives, where you would normally see HDD0, HDD1 etc on the SATA ports, they only show in the list for hard drive boot order.

bk T
11-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Tried to use the Win7 USB download tool to install the files to the USB drive but towards the end pops up this error message:

"we were unable to run bootsect to make the usb device bootable"

Tried the diskpart utility but still don't work. Did it before and it was a breeze (from memory), it took only a few minutes to complete the whole process. But just could get it going this time!

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Is the version of Windows youre trying to install 32 or 64 bit? And does the computer youre trying to install it on support 32 or 64 bit? If you're trying to install 64 bit on a 32 bit system you cant. You need the 32 bit version of bootsect.exe from a windows 7 32 bit DVD. Or vice-versa

bk T
11-07-2012, 10:47 PM
My computer OS is 64 bit and the ISO is also 64 bit.

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Try this see if it works. (http://rufus.akeo.ie/). Its meant to be better/faster than that Win7 download tool

wainuitech
11-07-2012, 11:26 PM
By any chance are you renaming the ISO file when its created by ISO Recorder ?? If you are, the windows 7 USB tool wont work. It HAS to be the original name.

All you should have to do is put in the original W7 DVD, right click it, Create image from CD\DVD - ISO recorder opens, select a place to save it. Once created, run the removal tool at it to remove the ei-cfg, then reburn the ISO back to a New DVD. If you wanted it on USB, then open the W7 install Tool, select the ISO , select the USB drive and tell it to create it.

You dont need to use diskpart as the W7 tool will wipe and format/prepare the USB drive.

bk T
11-07-2012, 11:44 PM
By any chance are you renaming the ISO file when its created by ISO Recorder ?? If you are, the windows 7 USB tool wont work. It HAS to be the original name.

All you should have to do is put in the original W7 DVD, right click it, Create image from CD\DVD - ISO recorder opens, select a place to save it. Once created, run the removal tool at it to remove the ei-cfg, then reburn the ISO back to a New DVD. If you wanted it on USB, then open the W7 install Tool, select the ISO , select the USB drive and tell it to create it.

You dont need to use diskpart as the W7 tool will wipe and format/prepare the USB drive.

It's in its original name, and I did exactly as you mentioned above (did that before) but just won't work with the bootsect error. :badpc:

Try this see if it works. (http://rufus.akeo.ie/). Its meant to be better/faster than that Win7 download tool

No, speedy, doesn't work. :badpc:

What could be the reason?? faulty flash drive? -- unlikely.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Copy the DVD to the hdd use cdburnerxp to create the ISO. Under its options, you can change it to UDF (under data disc / disc menu / file system). Add the files to it then create an ISO (after adding the files off the DVD / file menu / save compilation as ISO, then burn the ISO)

bk T
12-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Just loaded Win 7 onto a 'test' PC, fired up Win7 USB download tool to install Win 7 to the same USB drive and everything completed successfully within a few minutes!

Any explanation to this?

Only difference is, the 'test' PC hasn't got all the Windows updates installed and the other PC has got all the up-to-date Windows Updates installed.

wainuitech
12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
"if" you made the ISO from the Test PC as well, the first thing that comes to mind is the original optical drive may not have been reading the DVD correctly. Had this happen a few times, Workshop PC wont read a DVD but office one would.

bk T
12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
No. I copied the ISO file from my main PC

bk T
12-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Update:

OMG, the USB stick couldn't boot!

Maybe it's the USB stick's problem???

12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
with a knife. :badpc: :badpc:

Make an ISO of the DVD. (use imgburn, free download )
google for the eicfg removal tool , it will remove it from the ISO
Burn a new DVD from the 'fixed' ISO
http://code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/

bk T
12-07-2012, 02:36 PM
OK .. it's my fault -- didn't select the correct boot device. I selected USB HDD and it didn't boot, then I click the +Hard disks and it opens up the bootable USB flash drive and it booted up OK.

But, I still don't understand why my main PC couldn't complete the USB download and came up with the bootsec error??