PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install 2 monitors

bugalugs67
11-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Short version
Where do I find the settings which will allow dual monitors to display independently.

All the details:
I have a GeForce 9500 GT graphics card and have been running a ViewSonic VX24 monitor quite happily. I have now been given a Acer AL1511 monitor and want to display different programs off the same computer. At the moment the ViewSonic keeps telling me I should run it at 1920X1080 resolution. But on accessing the Navidia Control Panel that size is not available. Using a couple of the other larger sizes on the list "1080p x 1920 x1080 (native)" and some of the other size options puts the screen too large for the display and I cannot access the tool bar at the bottom to get the Start button to shut it all down.

The smaller Acer monitor is now up and running as No2 but seems to be synced with the larger screen. Except it only displays part of the full screensaver screen and some of the program icons. Clicking on those Icons will start the program but brings up a display on the No1 Viewsonic screen.

Drivers which came on the CD with the Viewsonic screen have been installed but the Acer is running on a windows generic driver. (unable to download a driver)
Operating system is Vista Home premium
How do I get the two screens to operate independently and with independent resolution

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Looks like the Acer has backlight probs and Acer are aware of it. Altho, this is from 2006 (http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/acer-al1511-lcd-monitor/1707-3174_7-31356204.html). So, things may have changed since then. Does the videocard support 1920*1080? How is the viewsonic connected? With VGA or DVI/HDMI?

bugalugs67
11-07-2012, 01:34 PM
. Viewsonic uses HDMI and the card supports "1080p x 1920 x1080 (native) and 1080I, 1920 x 1080. No backlight problems with Acer which is VGA.

Speedy Gonzales
11-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Are the videocard drivers the latest drivers? Not from the CD the card came with?

SolMiester
11-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Short version
Where do I find the settings which will allow dual monitors to display independently.

All the details:
I have a GeForce 9500 GT graphics card and have been running a ViewSonic VX24 monitor quite happily. I have now been given a Acer AL1511 monitor and want to display different programs off the same computer. At the moment the ViewSonic keeps telling me I should run it at 1920X1080 resolution. But on accessing the Navidia Control Panel that size is not available. Using a couple of the other larger sizes on the list "1080p x 1920 x1080 (native)" and some of the other size options puts the screen too large for the display and I cannot access the tool bar at the bottom to get the Start button to shut it all down.

The smaller Acer monitor is now up and running as No2 but seems to be synced with the larger screen. Except it only displays part of the full screensaver screen and some of the program icons. Clicking on those Icons will start the program but brings up a display on the No1 Viewsonic screen.

Drivers which came on the CD with the Viewsonic screen have been installed but the Acer is running on a windows generic driver. (unable to download a driver)
Operating system is Vista Home premium
How do I get the two screens to operate independently and with independent resolution

You have the monitors set as CLONE, instead of extended desktop

bugalugs67
11-07-2012, 09:22 PM
The drivers , as far as I am aware are the latest. The version of Nvidia is 4.4.730.0 and the graphics driver is 301.42.

The suggestion that the monitor is set to Clone instead of Extended Desktop sounds the most logical, However. Searching through the Help files tells me to "select a Task pane, under W
Workstation, click View system topology." But I can't find a Task pane, a Workstation, or an entry for View system topology.

By dragging I can now get the Nvidia Control Panel Help (only) to appear on the Acer screen.

SolMiester
12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Just use the windows display properties, right click on the desktop background, go to screen resolution. click on each screen in turn to establish which is main display and that it is the left panel, then click on other screen and use drop down to extend desktop to this display...

bugalugs67
15-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks

Looks like I now know where to go but have now got a bit of work to get there.
Right clicking on the desktop background bring up the Navidia control panel. Bummer. Trying to start in Safe Mode displays in the No2 (Acer) screen and then 'Won't accept the Input' Looks like I've got a few more underlying problems.
I'm working on it.

mark1978
15-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Download "Displayfusion"

JJJJJ
15-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Depends on whay you mean by "display two programs"
Use Nvidia control panel to set up two monitors.
Start the main program on the No.1 monitor.
Start utilites or whatever and drag them on to No.2
You may have to run No.1 in windows mode.
Jack