PDA

View Full Version : Is the Win 7 backup utility any good?

tuiruru
10-07-2012, 07:05 PM
I've just finished uninstalling the barrowload of crapware that came installed on SWMBO's replacement Toshiba laptop.

When her previous laptop died it alerted her to the necessity of doing regular backups. I've rescued the hard drive from the dead lappie, stuck it in a case, and plan to use it as an external drive.

So, with virtually no experience of Win 7 I'm wondering how good the native backup is or whether i should go for something like Auslogistics BitReplica Free (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/bitreplica.html).

wainuitech
10-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Windows 7 's backup works fine. The only real negative thing I have found is when doing a image ( full backup) if you have to put it back on another New Hard Drive, it has to be the same size or larger than the original, other wise W7's backup wont do it.

BUT the program you linked - its free, so why not do both ? Better to have backups that work than find out later they dont.

tuiruru
10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks Wainui

I'm "playing" with the one I linked to at the moment. At the moment it's just a question of re-assuring her that her data is being backed up.

I'll get onto the "imaging" aspect a bit later. :)

WarNox
10-07-2012, 11:33 PM
For just simple file backup I use SyncToy or Robocopy but if you want an image of the PC the Windows Backup is solution is pretty good, given that it's free. If I was going to spend money I'd without a doubt go with Shadow Protect.

Slankydudl
11-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Are there any that work like time machine for mac. Because that is seriously the most usefull backup program ever made.

tuiruru
11-07-2012, 09:15 AM
For just simple file backup I use SyncToy or Robocopy but if you want an image of the PC the Windows Backup is solution is pretty good, given that it's free. If I was going to spend money I'd without a doubt go with Shadow Protect.

Thanks Warnox :)

dugimodo
11-07-2012, 12:22 PM
If you use windows 7 backup making a recovery Disk from the software isn't a bad Idea. While it's possible to boot off the windows 7 Disk and restore from an image, it's a lot simpler to do from a dedicated recovery disk.
A minor annoyance for me is the inabilty of home premium to backup to a network drive, you have to have pro or ultimate for that. Otherwise apart from being a little slow the windows backup utility has worked fine for me

tuiruru
11-07-2012, 12:58 PM
If you use windows 7 backup making a recovery Disk from the software isn't a bad Idea. While it's possible to boot off the windows 7 Disk and restore from an image, it's a lot simpler to do from a dedicated recovery disk.
A minor annoyance for me is the inabilty of home premium to backup to a network drive, you have to have pro or ultimate for that. Otherwise apart from being a little slow the windows backup utility has worked fine for me

Thanks for that Dugi - I don't have a network to worry about ;)

linw
12-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Must throw in Macrium Reflect free as well. It works very well.

tuiruru
12-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Thanks linw - I was wondering about that

tuiruru
12-07-2012, 07:00 PM

Thanks linw - I was wondering about that