PDA

View Full Version : Home security Wireless camera and Remote access

DeSade
10-07-2012, 04:40 PM
So I am getting more concerned (Paranoid) about security now I am not in the suburbs any more.
I would like to set up a couple of cameras around the house feeding streams back to my PC.

Cameras need to have a wireless connection
Need to be battery powered (with long lasting pref rechargeable batteries) Powered options considered but battery would be a lot better
Must have motion detection so they are not constantly draining the batteries.

Now I want to be able to log into my machine from anywhere on any device and access the cameras in real time.

So these are the two scenarios I want to cater too.

Camera detects movement, starts recording I get a notification of this and log in to see what the camera is filming.

I log into my pc and activate the cameras remotely they run till I am finished then go back into detect mode.

Anyone know how to make this a reality?

8ftmetalhaed
10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Would also pay to consider the probability that batteries will need replacement after a while. Might look into ones from a reputable brand that use non model specific batteries to save cash in the long run. Are you in inner city or moved out to the country? Just out of interest.

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I tried this with a normal webcam. Only thing is I couldnt turn the computer off.. Otherwise the ip address would change. I managed to monitor what was on the cam via my mobile. By logging into the ip I added to the program, I was using (contacam, which is free). It did a pretty good job

DeSade
10-07-2012, 05:32 PM
I have moved into the inner city.

That is a good tip 8ft. Ideally I would like to be able to rotate the batteries in and out every week or so to keep them charged.

My computer never turns off Speedy unless its doing a reboot for "patch Tuesdays" I would prefer it did not rely on IP thou and used software to remote in.
Actually some software package that comes with the cameras would be great, controls the feed and the access.

Iantech
10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I think for logging in from off site, you would really want a fixed IP address so it doesnt change. Also as far as battery power etc goes, many good cameras run the video and power feeds right back to the unit, therefore all power gathers in one place making it easy to have them all plugged into a UPS that will keep the unit and cameras running in case of power failure.

"I log into my pc and activate the cameras remotely they run till I am finished then go back into detect mode." But isnt it already recording as you have said in the line above "Camera detects movement, starts recording ..." what else do you mean by "activate"??

Most cameras on movement detection will start recording when they detect movement and stop when they no longer detect any movement. Some software will allow you to adjust the recording time after movement has no longer been detected.

DeSade
10-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Detect mode and start recording will be the default setting.
But I also want to be able to log in and turn on the camera feed manually whenever I please.

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2012, 05:58 PM
This program may do the job. (http://www.nchsoftware.com/surveillance/index.html). Or buy something from DSE or Jaycar. Software may come with it

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2012, 07:10 PM
You'll be wanting the TP-Link TL-SC3130G which are quite cheap, they work well with Vitamin D motion detection from http://www.vitamindinc.com/

You don't want battery powered.

DeSade
10-07-2012, 07:34 PM
That looks good Chill
But I want more than 2 cameras and I do not want to pay $200 for it :(

B.M.
10-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Would THIS (http://www.pysoft.com/ActiveWebCamMainpage.htm) be any help?

I use an earlier version when I go on holiday and find it great.

My version doesnít give me access to my computer but it does send me E-Mails with photos if there has been any change to light conditions in a target area.

Sure I get a photo of the neighbour feeding the cat and the cat doing stretching exercises sometimes, but I can live with that because at least that means itís working.

I set the whole thing up because I knew of a resident thief who was about to be released from jail and I knew that he knew I was going away. The idea was that should he think my place was easy pickings I would get an E-Mail with photos which I could forward to the local police with a request they put him back in his cell. Never came to anything because the Parole Board sent him back to his cell without releasing him. :D

Never mind, if I ever do have intruders their photo will be E-Mailed before they can do anything about it, even if they burn the house down. ;)