PDA

View Full Version : Simply beautiful - big bird in flight

Zippity
10-07-2012, 12:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc_n9e3FPZ8

BBCmicro
10-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Indeed. I presume those window-shaped things poking up near the front of the wing are air brakes? Strange place to put them

To think one of those planes accidentally touched the runway at Wellington during a flypast in the (1960s?) and spent forever at Ohakea on recovery

SurferJoe46
10-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Huh? (http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/f/f8/Big-bird-NEW.jpg) ;)

Zippity
10-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Glad I got your attention, Joe ;)

Trev
10-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Saw it live on Sky TV flying over the F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone over the weekend.
:)

BBCmicro
10-07-2012, 01:26 PM
..got your attention, Joe

With Joe's aeronautical background I imagine he saw the thread title and thought 'Big Bird can fly? No way! Drag coefficient all wrong, Bernoulli's equation not satisfied, ...'

gary67
10-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Filmed from the cliff tops so you don't have to crane your neck much. My brothers home town here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzgX1COOlg)

BBCmicro
10-07-2012, 01:46 PM
...brothers home town..
The Spitfire! It brings back memories. I used to fly them back in my younger days. They were so powerful you could apply one of the wheel brakes, spin around, and take off across the runway!

(Never managed to land one, though. But hey, the BBC Micro only had 0.000032 GB of memory)

prefect
10-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Bet it cost the poms a fortune in AVTUR those 4 Olympus engines would be fair gobbling it.

Bobh
10-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I remember watching a Vulcan bomber flying over Invercargill during the 1950s.

Zippity
10-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Saw it live on Sky TV flying over the F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone over the weekend.

Didn't it look fantastic? :) :)

Arnie
10-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Didn't the Vulcan win the big London to Christchurch air race in the 1950's? A huge event for Christchurch. I am old enough to remember it:clap:clap

BBCmicro
10-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Just found a great video on YouTube showing the near-crash at Wellington airport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3iMw7Q7H68

The clip suggests late 1950s but I was only 12 in 1959 and I remember it as someone older than that. I particularly rememember the plane sitting at Ohakea for a Very Long Time

The clip shows that the near-crash was a very very very near thing! the closest any Vulcan ever came to crashing?

Trev
10-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Didn't it look fantastic? :) :)
Yes.

Zippity
10-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Just found a great video on YouTube showing the near-crash at Wellington airport

The clip suggests late 1950s but I was only 12 in 1959 and I remember it as someone older than that. I particularly rememember the plane sitting at Ohakea for a Very Long Time

The clip shows that the near-crash was a very very very near thing! the closest any Vulcan ever came to crashing?

From Wikipedia: In spite of the short runway and frequent winds, there have been very few safety incidents at the airport. However, at the air show held on opening day in 1959 there were two significant incidents. A Royal New Zealand Air Force Sunderland flying boat scraped its keel along the runway during a low pass in turbulent conditions; it returned to its base at Hobsonville and was beached for repair. A Royal Air Force Avro Vulcan bomber aborted its landing when it touched down short of the runway, rupturing its left main landing gear drag link, the wing attachments and engine fuel lines; the aircraft flew to Ohakea air base where it was stranded for several months being repaired.

The Error Guy
10-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Soons I saw it had a vulcan in It I knew it would be good.

Richard
10-07-2012, 04:49 PM
"The clip shows that the near-crash was a very very very near thing! the closest any Vulcan ever came to crashing?"

Several Vulcans crashed with fatal results both before and after the Wellington incident.

Richard
10-07-2012, 05:03 PM
What was really amazing in aviation was the speed of development between 1903 (Wright bros) and 1945 when the war ended and the beginning of the jet age.

Trev
10-07-2012, 05:12 PM
This (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/)is probably the Vulcan in the video.

Zippity
10-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Guess so :)

Update on XH558
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jul 6, 2012 by Ian Homer. Posted to category: General

and return to displays
Yesterday, XH558 was able to undertake a further flight with Kev Rumens at the controls as captain, assisted by Phil O'Dell and Phil Davies.

Happy that all was well, the crew then practiced the agreed 2012 display sequence overhead RAF Wittering.

The aircraft landed with no issues and was reported to be 'flying like a dream'.

Providing the weather is suitable and there are no technical issues, it is planned that XH558 will depart later today to carry out a Display Validation requirement at Farnborough, before transiting to RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire.

We are obviously concerned by the heavy rains forecast for much of the country, so do please watch our Twitter feed which also runs across our home page for any further updates.

Thanks for your support.

lakewoodlady
10-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Real niiice Zippity, thanks for posting it!

LL

Paul.Cov
10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Remarkable how it kept it's nose up so long after losing speed. They came VERY close to scraping the tail before the nose dropped.

After a stressful day at work it leaves me wondering if I've got the wrong job, as it looks so peaceful and serene.
On the other hand, a balls@# at my job at worst costs $1000. A balls@# with that thing costs $x0,000,000, so maybe there's loads more stress in that job too!

Sod it. They can bill me!

Paul.Cov
10-07-2012, 08:00 PM
What was really amazing in aviation was the speed of development between 1903 (Wright bros) and 1945 when the war ended and the beginning of the jet age.

Yeah, sad but true. War is fantastic for fueling development.

Pity about the associated costs in life and planetary damage.

We probably wouldn't have the internet if it wasn't for the millitary.

We probably wouldn't have GPS or satellite TV if it wasn't for the military.

We probably wouldn't have cellphones if it wasn't for the military.

Why do we put so much of our resource dollars into how we can better monitor and kill other people?
What if we put the same efforts into health and peace? Joblessness and education?
Ethics and environmentalism?

Sod it. It's easier to kill people.

BBCmicro
10-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes thanks Zippity

WalOne
10-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks Zippity. A great post.

:thumbs:

Nick G
11-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Nice post Zippity

:thanks:

Roscoe
11-07-2012, 05:15 PM

I too, was a young lad at the time. At the air show held on opening day in 1959 a Royal Air Force Avro Vulcan bomber aborted its landing when it touched down short of the runway, rupturing its left main landing gear drag link, the wing attachments and engine fuel lines; the aircraft flew to Ohakea air base where it was stranded for several months being repaired.

Billy T
11-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm dead sure that a Vulcan was here in 1957 or 58 as well, or maybe earlier even, because I remember being herded outside onto a playing field to watch one fly over on its way to Whenuapai. It can't have been any later because I was at a different school in 1959. Nothing on Google about it though. :(

Saw the last Lancaster fly in during 1964 though, it came past low and close and we were in the only classroom in the whole school with windows facing that direction and high enough up to see past the trees out front.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Zippity
11-07-2012, 07:53 PM
1956 http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-315224.html

This flight (XA897) later crashed at London's Heathrow with all but two of the crew being killed.

My Dad had been listening on his ham radio gear to the air crew talking to the London tower prior to landing when the transmission suddenly quit. Dad thought that it was due to atmospherics. It wasn't until a few days later that we learnt of the bombers sad fate :(

1972?? http://topbirdsandeveryfing.typepad.com/top-birds-everyfing/2010/12/rnzaf-avro-vulcan-bomber-at-rnzaf-wigram-believe-it-or-not-the-royal-new-zealand-air-force-operated-one-avro-vulcan-bomber.html

http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/vulcan_people/562_kiwi.htm

Trev
11-07-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a Vulcan on Super 8mm movie film taken (I think) in March 1972 at the Royal NZ Aero club Air Pageant held at Paraparaumu. Could be the one with the RNZAF roundel on it. Might have too dust of the old projector and have a look.

Trev
14-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Crashed Vulcan at Ohakea.

Jen
14-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Is it just me who thought you were talking about...

Zippity
14-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Is it just me who thought you were talking about...

who said that you were sloooooooooooooooooooow..?? :) :)

WalOne
14-08-2012, 08:55 PM
who said that you were sloooooooooooooooooooow..?? :) :)

Didn't you mean soooooooooooooooooooow..??

I so, soooooooooooooooooooow.. what?

:lol:

WalOne
14-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Oops, I meant to say "If", not "I"

Zippity
14-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Didn't ewe sea the owl? "L"??

Jen
14-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Didn't you mean soooooooooooooooooooow..??You do realise a 'sow' is a female pig? :stare:

icow
14-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Crashed Vulcan at Ohakea.

The field the plane is in reminded me of the XP default background for a second:

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2011/08/28/ever-wonder-where-the-windows-xp-default-wallpaper-came-from/

BBCmicro
15-08-2012, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=icow;1112188]The field the plane is in reminded me of the XP default background QUOTE]

Or where the Teletubbies live?

It's a good thing it rains a lot in the Manawatu

WalOne
15-08-2012, 01:08 PM
You do realise a 'sow' is a female pig? :stare:

Oops - all I meant to do was to take the "l" out of slow, so we were left with a long soooooooooooooo. I forgot about the "w". :horrified

Sorry Jen, unintentional :horrified

Zippity
15-08-2012, 03:52 PM
I wondered what you were on about :( :(

I had no intention of becoming involved in a pig discussion.

WalOne
15-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Just a failed attempt at a wisecrack. No wish to hijack the thread in favour of sus scrofa domestica, nor anyone to take offence.

Jen
15-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Just a failed attempt at a wisecrack. No wish to hijack the thread in favour of sus scrofa domestica, nor anyone to take offence.

:)Likewise, my response was a failed attempt at a humorous response to your typo. No offense taken. :)

R2x1
15-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Just as well; offenders can be prosecuted, so what happens to people taking offences doesn't bear thinking about ;)

Poppa John
17-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Remarkable how it kept it's nose up so long after losing speed. They came VERY close to scraping the tail before the nose dropped.

After a stressful day at work it leaves me wondering if I've got the wrong job, as it looks so peaceful and serene.
On the other hand, a balls@# at my job at worst costs $1000. A balls@# with that thing costs $x0,000,000, so maybe there's loads more stress in that job too!

Sod it. They can bill me!

Re dropping the Vulcan nose. Many years ago when I worked at wgtn airport for the MOW, the last planes to fly in bad weather were the Safe Air freighters to nelson & Blenheim. They had huge wings & tailplanes. In a strong wind it was near impossible for them to get the tail down. I extreme wind it was possible for the plane to taxi to the freight hanger with the tail up, only coming downwhen people laid across the tail. Then they were grounded. PJ

Poppa John
17-08-2012, 09:35 PM
RAF Finningly (as was) near Doncaster in South Yorkshire was a Vulcan Base. I was there one Open Day, a Vulcan started off down the runway & then fired the rockets for a rocket assissted take off. Only seemed to roll a very short distance, pulled its nose up & went straight up. 90 degrees to the runway. What a noise & so spectacular. PJ.

PS...Now a civilian airport called Robin Hood Interational.! Serving Doncaster & Sheffield.

gary67
17-08-2012, 09:50 PM
I used to live near RAF Manston in Kent. The runway could never be closed until they stopped the Concorde flights as it was the only other runway in England long enough for an emergency landing, but alas Manston is now and industrial estate

Richard
18-08-2012, 11:09 AM
"the last planes to fly in bad weather were the Safe Air freighters to nelson & Blenheim. "

PJ were these the Bristol Freighters? I had my first flight in one of these, from Kaikohe aerodrome. We lay on the front opening doors looking down through the perspex panels. Hate to think what would have happened if the doors had opened.

prefect
18-08-2012, 11:24 AM
"the last planes to fly in bad weather were the Safe Air freighters to nelson & Blenheim. "

PJ were these the Bristol Freighters? I had my first flight in one of these, from Kaikohe aerodrome. We lay on the front opening doors looking down through the perspex panels. Hate to think what would have happened if the doors had opened.
Was that in an Airforce one?

Richard
18-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes Prefect it was. I think it was during 'barracks week' at school. Otherwise I can't think of any reason we would have been taken for this flight. I remember the aircraft as being very noisy and rattly. Must have been in the early to middle '50s I think. Another early flying experience was travelling to Auckland from Whangarei in a de Havilland Dominie. Seven passengers I think, and it was almost like flying the plane yourself. Height achieved must have only been a couple of thousand feet, so the view down the coast was magnificent, as pilots always flew the Bream Bay scenic route if weather was OK. Not too much risk of someone coming the other way in those days.

prefect
18-08-2012, 01:35 PM
The civil ones did not have the windows, in the mil ones it was for the navigator to look out with a drift sight, the load master to look out for the drop zone.
DH Dominie/ Rapide/Dragonfly did not fly one on 1 engine so flying in them was twice as dangerous as flying in a single engines plane!