PDA

View Full Version : Best war movie of all time?

Metla
08-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Ive just sat through The Thin Red Line.

When I originally watched this movies back when it was in theatres it seems it went right over my head, I left thinking it was a pretentious load of crap, and I have avoided watching it again for that fact.

Now, after seeing it again, Im stunned, hell, I was holding my breath during parts of this movie, If you haven't seen it then its well worth the effort.

Bobh
08-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I have Saving Private Ryan on DVD. You can now get the blue ray version. I have watched it a few times.

zqwerty
08-07-2012, 10:41 PM
I believe in times of great stress, ie war, people can rise to the occasion with exhibitions of magnanimity and nobleness, however lots of so-called good war movies, Saving Private Ryan for instance, are relentlessly sordid and downgrading in the way they picture humans. In the end it may be true that there really is no hope and in the end all we are is an evolutionary creature that will always fall back on basic and animistic instincts but I believe at least some are better than that even in the most trying of circumstances. I am not interested in seeing only downgraded behaviour from humans on-masse or individually as a lot of these movies seem to show only brutality.

Metla
08-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I think that perhaps Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line put a deliberate focus on illustrating the brutality and horror of war because it was something that is glossed over by just about every war movie up to that point.

Not having ever been in a war personally of course, But I can well believe the human psyche is taken into some horrible places by participating and bearing witness to these events. Everyone I do know that went to war has been deeply affected by what they went through.

rob_on_guitar
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Full Metal Jacket for me, as a movie the entertainment factor is up there, the story lines, it is almost 2 movies in one.
I also really liked Platoon, the soundtrack is one of my all time favorite pieces of music.

zqwerty
08-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Liked Full Metal Jacket very much but I voted for Beast of War as this movie really caught me by surprise, went to town saw it by accident, fantastic movie.

Paul.Cov
09-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Can't say I've seen/remember many of them.

I appreciated Saving for showing (initially) in a bit more honest fashion how brutal war can be. But I won't vote for it without knowing the other films.

It really disturbs me that kids these days enlist with a totally unrealistic image of what they're getting into.
The movies lead them to believe you go running through a war zone in a camo singlet and never suffer more than a graze, but rack up a couple dozen kills on the way.

The harsh reality is that modern warfare can mean you die before ever setting sight on the enemy, and it's likely to be either a quick death from a brain injury, or a slower more grizly death bleeding out from an injury elsewhere... assuming they don't get you with gas, or from a grenade dropped by one of your own team.

There's a clip shown in some of the old ANZAC day footage of a group charging out from a foxhole.
One of the group collapses and slides back into the hole before even making it up to the edge of the hole (bullet to the brain the moment his head popped up).
That is the filthy reality of war. The 'adventure' may be over before it even begins.
You may simply be used as 'bullet fodder' to distract the enemy from an attack from a different angle.
Your life is treated as entirely disposable.
War is not a dream. It's a nightmare. And you can expect your last emotion to be pant-soiling fear accompanied by searing pain.

War is always filthy and brutal. Sorry - ran off topic a bit.

gary67
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
The ending to Black Adder Goes Forth sums it all up when they finally go over the top. Yes it was a comedy series but that final scene shows the sheer folly and futility of war. I'm sure others will disagree but hollywood war movies are to syrupy to be watched with any thoughts of reality

Gobe1
09-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Platoon for me

Morgenmuffel
09-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I actually enjoyed those two Clint Eastwood directed ones he did recently, the one from the American side, and the Japanese one, I actually found myself rooting for the japanese if you know what i mean?

Metla
09-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Im guessing they were Letters to iwa Jama?....and Flag of our Fathers?

I enjoyed the Jap one, Got seriously uptight when they all started committing suicide rather then regroup....

prefect
09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Battle of Britain but its not on your list.

Gobe1
09-07-2012, 11:22 AM
what ever happened to dambusters peter jacko was doing a while back??

dugimodo
09-07-2012, 11:25 AM
I avoid war movies mostly, not a subject I personally find very entertaining.
I did however see black hawk down at a relatives house and have to say it seemed really well made and brutally realistic with regards to injuries etc.
Having not seen the others mentioned here though I couldn't comment as to which is better.

If you want to count tropic thunder or forest gump then I vote for those :)

John H
09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
None of the ones in the poll. They stopped making war movies after the original "All quiet on the Western Front". Most if not all of the "films" in your poll are the typical crap that comes out of America.

John H
09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Oh, I forgot "The Burmese Harp". That was worth watching.

bob_doe_nz
09-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Tora Tora Tora

Nick G
09-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, not a movie, but I really enjoyed Band of Brothers. Then again, haven't seen the ones listed here so can't compare.

Metla
09-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Damn, wish I had put Black Hawk down on the list, Granted its quite a shallow movie but its a hell of a ride. And there was that other one about the sniper, can't remeber its name, it will come to me.

I did want to put Southern Comfort in the list, even though its not a war movie at all,it almost is.

Gobe1
09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
What about some ancient stuff, Napoleon, Gladiator, Joan of arc

Bryan
09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
For an unbiased film but told from the American point of view, I did like Pearl Harbour.

Metla
09-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Is there more then one version of Pearl Harbor?

The only one I can recall is a horrible turd with Ben Affleck in it, I never managed to sit through it. Reminded me of the titanic for some reason, A film I deeply regret sitting through.

prefect
09-07-2012, 11:58 AM
what ever happened to dambusters peter jacko was doing a while back??
They had to cancel it because they couldnt rename the lab.

Terry Porritt
09-07-2012, 12:03 PM
None of the ones in the poll. They stopped making war movies after the original "All quiet on the Western Front". Most if not all of the "films" in your poll are the typical crap that comes out of America.

Well....All Quiet On The Western Front came out of America. Maybe it was/is ok for American ears, but to hear German soldiers talking in broad American accents for me just ruins the film. I'd prefer to read the book any day.

Nicholas Monserrats' The Cruel Sea with Jack Hawkins was fairly realistic showing the grim Atlantic war against the U-Boats, except for the fake studio sea in the liferaft scenes :)
It is still probably one of my favourite war films.

bob_doe_nz
09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Is there more then one version of Pearl Harbor?.

Tora Tora Tora

Paul Ramon
09-07-2012, 12:43 PM
IMO Harrisons Flowers is one of the best I've seen, set in Yugoslavia. Also Battle of Britain, The longest day, Guns of Naverone, The Great Escape, Schindler’s List, Kelly's Heroes, Bridge on the River Kwai, Cross of Iron, The Big Red One, All Quiet on the Western Front and The Blue Max are all great films I would watch again & again.

gary67
09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Das Boot

wratterus
09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Saving Private Ryan isn't the best war movie by any stretch, but watching that movie in 1080P with full surround sound is a fantastic experience. I watch it once a year, on d-day. :p

Gobe1
09-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Well im going to watch thin red line Metla just to see what you are on about, i saw it once years ago too and thought it was sort of ok, cant even remember it tbo

CYaBro
09-07-2012, 01:02 PM
You don't have The Hurt Locker on your list...

Metla
09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
You don't have The Hurt Locker on your list...

....thats cause it sucks bad :D

Gobe1
09-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Metla
09-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Tora Tora Tora

This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k9UDRO43Vc

KarameaDave
09-07-2012, 02:16 PM
The ending to Black Adder Goes Forth sums it all up when they finally go over the top. Yes it was a comedy series but that final scene shows the sheer folly and futility of war. I'm sure others will disagree but hollywood war movies are to syrupy to be watched with any thoughts of reality
+1

Metla
09-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Just watched Tora tora Tora!

I'm pretty sure I must have seen it before, Its a well known movie.

Anyhow, I see it starts off by saying that all characters and events are based on historical events, I guess thats one way of doing it.:horrified

Interesting to see them all get shot to hell with no blood involved, no panic, no screaming.Most of them didn't even have a hair out of place.

Trev
09-07-2012, 04:53 PM
The Deer Hunter. The Killing Fields. Great Escape. Reach For The Sky. Guns of Navarone. 666 Squadron. Memphis Belle. Just a few I have seen.
:)

Terry Porritt
09-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Das Boot

That was agood film. In the intro it says 40,000 German sailors served on U-boats, 30,000 never returned. After surviving the horrors of being depth charged and being nearly sunk, they got back to La Rochelle only to be bombed by the RAF.

Trivia about the Battle of Britain film, the Me109s' were from the Spanish airforce and had been fitted with Merlin engines, it can be seen that the engine cowlings are "wrong" :banana

Paul.Cov
09-07-2012, 05:16 PM
There was some movie I can't name which was about the airborn bombing runs. Was a damned good watch.

bellbird
09-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Catch-22

Greg
12-07-2012, 01:27 PM
And there was that other one about the sniper, can't remeber its name, it will come to me.
Enemy at the Gates.

I voted Thin Red Line, but enjoyed Good Morning Vietnam better.

Digby
12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Saving Private Ryan.
The scene when the German tanks and armoured vehicles come into the town is just amazing, all that cranking of tracks etc.
It sounded really realistic to me.

Some really good suggestions on here.
But 300 ? come on that was just crap.
I hate all that modern cgi crap.

Hamburger Hill - was really gruesome

R2x1
12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
"Hitler, My Part In His Downfall". It is almost a film; it was very moving in parts, and even more moving as a whole when read in a train.

gary67
12-07-2012, 02:16 PM
The poll needed an other option

R2x1
12-07-2012, 02:21 PM
So do Wars.

gary67
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
So do Wars.

No they just need a count to ten and get back up option

Cato
12-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Bridge at Remagen
Paths of Glory

I voted Apocalypse Now.

Myth
12-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Platoon . Also loved the theme (Barbers Adagio for Strings). One of my all time favourites

feersumendjinn
12-07-2012, 10:29 PM
The Longest Day
Guns Of Navarone
The Caine Mutiny (Humphrey Bogart)

Digby
13-07-2012, 06:53 AM
I forgot to mention
Zulu - very stirring (but the killing scenes are a bit lame these days)

The Light Horsemen - the best cavalry charge - ever

And while we are on Adagios - don't forget the Adagio For Strings in G Minor at the end of Gallipoli !

autechre
13-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Das Boot
This

hueybot3000
15-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Any movie that shows humans breaking, being pushed past their limits. The hollywood hero movies all seem to forget that there is a limit to what a man can take. Black Hawk Down sorta style towards the end is what I mean. Band of Brothers although not a movie was awesome

Metla
15-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Watched "The Longest Day" earlier today, From a historical sense pretty damn good, as an example of a big budget war movie of its period...also pretty damn good. Though some of the dialogue was crap, and it seems that they had signed up so many big names they put in pointless scenes to included them.

John Wayne was a poor actor.

Anyhow, well worth watching. They even pretended the French weren't cowards...so that was nice.

Many of the military consultants and advisors who helped with the film's production were actual participants in the action on D-Day, and are portrayed in the film. The producers drew them from both sides; Allied and Axis.

Gobe1
15-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Braveheart

kahawai chaser
15-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Watched "The Longest Day" earlier today, From a historical sense pretty damn good, as an example of a big budget war movie of its period...also pretty damn good. Though some of the dialogue was crap, and it seems that they had signed up so many big names they put in pointless scenes to included them.

John Wayne was a poor actor.

Anyhow, well worth watching. They even pretended the French weren't cowards...so that was nice.

I recall that movie, where pop singers and comedians were in that movie. Hard case scene I always recall with Red Buttons hanging from the church with the bell ringing all night.

Myth
15-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Jarhead as I recall was an ok movie as well. It was interesting to see the patriotic american mentality as they were in the hall watching movies of their comrades... only to find out what it was really like in the field.
Not brilliant, but ok

Although I like the 60s and 70s war movies, I do find the fact they always had nicely done hair as they were racing through the dense jungle an interesting concept. Maybe the hair wax they used was great stuff back then...

Richard
15-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Brylcreem Myth, Brylcreem.

Trev
15-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Brylcream.
:)

Richard
17-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Nope, Brylcreem was the correct spelling Trev. Look it up.