PDA

View Full Version : 10MB per day internet

asdex
08-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi I am thinking of getting the Telecom 10MB per day mobile broadband for a $1. We have no internet at our crib which we go up once or twice a month for weekends.
We might check emails and look at maybe 20-30 web pages a day including the news, Trademe, and Google. Do you think this would be enough?
Thanks

inphinity
08-07-2012, 08:43 PM
10mb/day is fine for basic use. I use my phone for that sort of things and use about 200mb/month. Unsure why the baby not having internet in their crib is relevant though :x

The Error Guy
08-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Nope, not even close I would have thought... but is this PC or Phone?If it's a PC no chance, phone? close, but most likely on the over side. Try the $6 50mb option or check out skinny, they use the same network as telecom (if reception is an issue) but operate off a weekly schedule rather than monthly. Most plans are $4

www.skinny.co.nz

Their love bytes plan gives you 120mb for $4 http://www.skinny.co.nz/2335_EN-Why_Skinny-Skinny_Pricing.htm

asdex
08-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks, I'll look at those plans. It's for a laptop. A crib is a North Island batch. I'll call it a holiday home to avoid confusion.
Cheers,

Chilling_Silence
08-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Nah I'm with The Error Guy, not even close. Maybe on a Cellphone it might suffice for very light use, but as soon as you hook up a Windows PC .... kiss your prepaid credit goodbye. His suggestion was good, check out Skinny, or Telecom starts from $40 a month I believe for around 1GB?

linw
08-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a cell ph on that 'plan' and it is pretty awful. If I use data I go over the 10MB so it costs more than the dollar and if I don't use data, it still costs a dollar a day as the ph sniffs the air and the few kb that entails costs you a dollar.

Basically, I turn the data off and use wifi where I can. Will think what to do about it when my 12 mth contract ends.

Nomad
08-07-2012, 10:28 PM
If it is via a laptop 2 Degrees might have a better BB data deal don't they ... If you are in the main city they are ok, unless you go to smaller towns they roam with Vodafone which the data price plans changes big time.

pctek
09-07-2012, 07:57 AM
A crib is a North Island batch.
A batch?
I think you mean a bach.

asdex
09-07-2012, 08:12 AM
No I now mean a holiday home.
Thanks for the input on the 10mb. Sounds not a great deal.
Cheers,

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2012, 09:55 AM
No I now mean a holiday home.

pctek's right ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach_(New_Zealand)

asdex
10-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Yes of course he is right and probably doesn't matter much if it's a crib, batch, holiday home or lifestyle block (106 acres) there doesn't seem to be a plan that's practical. I already pay for broadband at home so don't want another ongoing cost to use the internet once or twice a month. I wish there was a 100mb plan for $10 like the Telecom one that was more suitable for laptop use.
Cheers,

pctek
10-07-2012, 09:48 AM
LOL.

No doubt they lux their crib occasionally too and check the superheater is still OK......

asdex
10-07-2012, 03:39 PM
hmmm sorry not sure what you mean. We do lux the floor but have to run a generator for that as there is only a wind generator and solar panel. Don't know what a superheater is. We have a wood burner and another to heat the water.