PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News - Imprisonment May Reduce Crime Rate

Twelvevolts
08-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I remember when I was studying criminology you couldn't find much research that would back up the common belief that longer prison sentences cut overall crime rates. Certainty of being caught was one of the few things demonstrated to work in reducing crime, that is more Police out there to catch the crooks.

But now there is hope for Sensible Sentencing types in a recent study (http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/jul/07/longer-prison-sentences-cut-crime).

But as the comments in the report suggest - very hard to prove a link one way or the other so the debate will rage on.

Bobh
08-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Catching the criminals and putting them in jail could mean a drop in crime. They will certainly not be able to commit further crimes while they are in jail. The hardened criminals will see prison as an occupational hazard and a prison sentence will have little effect on them. First time prison inmates could either find it a short sharp shock or find it a place to make new friends and learn new skills so that they can go on to commit further crime after they get out.

I wonder how often the Police catch a serial burglar and end up solving other burglaries.

We do need more Police.

Metla
08-07-2012, 01:04 PM
We should be locking up those who are teaching criminology.

Can anyone imagine a world where criminal behavior only had reward?

We would be enslaved, at war, and we wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Twelvevolts
08-07-2012, 05:59 PM
We should be locking up those who are teaching criminology.

Can anyone imagine a world where criminal behavior only had reward?

We would be enslaved, at war, and we wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Strange thing for you to be imagining - suggest you get a grip.

prefect
08-07-2012, 06:55 PM
You forgot something volts when the crooks are in jail they aren't doing other crimes.

globe
08-07-2012, 07:09 PM
You forgot something volts when the crooks are in jail they aren't doing other crimes.

not for the period of incarceration but also during that period skills are taught, bonds are forged, and so on. its a lose lose situation as far as i can see.

Metla
08-07-2012, 07:14 PM
not for the period of incarceration but also during that period skills are taught, bonds are forged, and so on. its a lose lose situation as far as i can see.

yeah, Because criminals never hang out together or share stories until they get to prison.In fact they are saints until we lock them up and ruin them.

Poor souls.

globe
08-07-2012, 07:23 PM
yeah, Because criminals never hang out together or share stories until they get to prison.In fact they are saints until we lock them up and ruin them.

And your point is ?

never said they didn't. probable that it turns borderlines into definites.

Metla
08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
And your point is ?

never said they didn't. probable that it turns borderlines into definites.

The point?

You really can't see it?

If they are in jail then they aren't probables, they are criminals. It takes a lot of shitbag behaviour and a lot of making life miserable for honest folk before society takes the extreme step of reducing there ability to prey on society.

if we are worried that they will continue to wreck havoc once released then that's when 3 strikes policy and extended sentences kicks in.

rob_on_guitar
08-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Making prison a crap place to be would be a good start for people not wanting to be there, but if things werent so bloody expensive in NZ like food, I am sure some crimes would drop.

Metla
08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
I know a few people who having spent time in jail enjoyed it to the point they swore they would never get themselves into that situation again.

Those that do find it easier then life outside are failures to the point that for there own sake and the sake of society we might as well just leave them locked up as they prefer, No need to keep letting them out so they can ruin more peoples lives.

globe
08-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Making prison a crap place to be would be a good start for people not wanting to be there, but if things werent so bloody expensive in NZ like food, I am sure some crimes would drop.

The man speaks sense

rob_on_guitar
08-07-2012, 10:29 PM
I know a few people who having spent time in jail enjoyed it to the point they swore they would never get themselves into that situation again.

Those that do find it easier then life outside are failures to the point that for there own sake and the sake of society we might as well just leave them locked up as they prefer, No need to keep letting them out so they can ruin more peoples lives.

Unfortunately the NZ systems seems to want to free the undesirables asap it seems.

Metla
08-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Unfortunately the NZ systems seems to want to free the undesirables asap it seems.

That comes down to 2 issues

Money.

And those who shares the views of 12v, That if someone carries out a crime after serving jail time then the jail failed and we should stop doing that.

Strange logic, I would say the only way a jail fails is when people escape.

pctek
09-07-2012, 06:53 AM
REally?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halden_Prison

So how come this place has few repeat visitors then?

WalOne
09-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Interesting post, PCTek - thanks for that.

prefect
09-07-2012, 08:32 AM
REally?

Because the inmates are ethnic Viking Norwegians. Wouldn't work here because 10% of the population is 60% of the prison population

Nick G
09-07-2012, 09:10 AM
REally?

Or this (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1384308/Norways-controversial-cushy-prison-experiment--catch-UK.html) one?
Really, I think that the minimum security prisons and the max security prisons have got it all wrong.

The max security prison should be really nasty, and basically protect society by locking away the prisoners.
However. the minimum security prison should be much nicer, and focus on preventing those who commit minor, non violent crimes from offending again. t should do this by giving them skills, and by forcing them to manage some elements of their lives. Some (prefect :) ) might say its to soft, but I don't think so. If the max security prison protects society by locking away violent offenders, then the minimum prison also protects society, by giving 'petty' offenders a chance to manage their lives a little, and gain some skills.

Then, there should be a in-between prison, for those who piss around in the minimum security prison and re offend, and also for those in the max security prison who are behaving well and everything. This in between prison should offer the ability to up-skill prisoners and give them a chance to manage parts of their lives, but should have higher security and tighter rules than the minimum security prison.

SP8's
09-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Get the bloody Police to stop pussy-footing around ... forget about the batons, pepper-spray and tasers ... arm them all with 9mm Glocks and shoot some of these recidivist crims ... most of them have nice targets on the back of their jackets anyway.

Crime rate would drop and the taxpayers wouldn't have to fork out $h!tloads to keep the scum of the earth in better conditions than some honest hard-working Kiwi families are finding themselves living in.

In fact ... shoot all the crims in Christchurch and put some of the people living in "unliveable" accommodation into Rolleston prison where they can get 3 meals a day, dry and warm living conditions, TV & games room and 24hr security guards.

And I thought we were a country where we looked after those in need .... BOLLOCKS !

Sorry peoples ... went a little "off topic" .... rant over .. :D

Metla
09-07-2012, 11:13 AM
REally?

Perhaps they don't have a culture of attributing respect to time served, court appearances, woman beating, and being a complete **** while locked up.

Our locals would eat that place for breakfast.