PDA

View Full Version : Google Plus

Nick G
08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
So, I joined google plus. Any tips/tricks when using it?

:thanks:

gary67
08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes don't expect it to be crap like farcebook as it isn't

plod
08-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Yes don't expect it to be crap like farcebook as it isn'tI found it the opposite. Nobody is on it that I know, and nobody was willing to move to it

R2x1
08-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Google's effort is a bit complex to set up compared to Facebook, but so far I have not found a motivation to make any great effort to get it going.
Facebook is simple to get yourself set up, but it requires a fair measure of effort to disentangle yourself from it's clutches. I expended a great deal of effort trying to disentangle myself, so far it has managed to re-spawn several times with a tenacity worthy of deluxe oxalis crossed with stinging nettles on steroids.

wmoore
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I found it the opposite. Nobody is on it that I know, and nobody was willing to move to it

Google+ is not about people you know, it's about people that share the same interests as you. It's about building new communities with people. Search for interests and start circling people, then start commenting and +1
their posts. You need to be active on Google+ You can't sit back and think something will happen because it won't. When you post something it is always good to include a picture related to your post, Google+ is very visual. Search New Zealand and go from there.

Twelvevolts
08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
So, I joined google plus. Any tips/tricks when using it?

:thanks: Sort out your circles - I have family, work etc. Then it's like a segmented facebook but in my view better. Very handy for sharing things with your family circle in particular.

Quite good to posting to from the android app, I know there are a lot of ways to do this these days but Google+ works best for me.

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Yeah every single person I've seen who's said "Eh it was quiet, didn't bother, haven't gone back" has been victim of a self-fulfilling prophesy. My money says their Facebook / MySpace / Bebo wasn't insanely active when they first signed up to it either.

In fact I wrote 2 posts in my first 6 months on Facebook, didn't get much out of it. It wasn't until I started actually posting things that people started doing likewise.

Similar deal for G+, I've found my feed is buzzing with activity (And some of the PF1'ers here are damn fine photographers too, I'll tell you!), and it's full of things that *actually* interest me, stuff I want to hear about. I don't have any of the crap about games I don't play, stupid pages that people "like that awkward moment that isn't really an awkward moment but I think it sounds cooler if I describe it as an awkward moment".

Best of all, it doesn't use the flawed "I'm your friend and you're my friend" method that Facebook does. Just because the dog of your cousins aunty follows you doesn't mean you have to or want to follow her back.

goodiesguy
09-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I've got google+ but I never use it.