PDA

View Full Version : Supercheapauto muck up ..

Nomad
07-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Was gonna change the oil. Then I was going to put the oil filter on, the one they told me to get which was the wrong one. The car's jacked up, cannot go anywhere. The garage door couldn't be closed. Didn't want to use the old filter with fresh oil. Rang them up, still open at 5.10pm by the time got into the car 5.15pm had get to Lower Hutt or Lyall Bay from Jville b/c the Porirua one doesn't have ours in stock, 5min reached the gorge, wasn't gonna make it so I turned back. Grabbed a $26 instead of the $15 or less 25% on today's sale.

Rang Lyall Bay up before but they said that they close on 5.30pm and cannot accommodate.

All the time using a car that the regro has been put on hold and no current wof. Nothing wrong with the car, just put on hold, bit of a risk.

prefect
07-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Put the old one back on man unless you ****** getting it off by say sticking a screw driver through it. Whats the problem the particles are trapped in the folds of the filter. If the filter blocks the bypass opens either a valve or the filter lifts off the seat.
My 31 Model A didn't even have an oil filter and it run fine.
Drama queen.

Nomad
07-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I thought there is a group here that always use a fresh filter with a new oil change ... Got one from Repco for $26. They were nearer to us, will just get the refund next time. With the Japanese cars some yrs ago .. we did a filter change maybe annually and a oil change every 6 months, some advise us against that.

PaulD
07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Got one from Repco for $26.

What car uses a $26 Repco oil filter? Have you priced one from the brand dealer?

Nomad
07-07-2012, 09:26 PM
What car uses a $26 Repco oil filter? Have you priced one from the brand dealer?

Volkswagen.
Nope not from dealer. Dunno what they cost, I assume it must be much more.
Supercheap had them for $15, but too far and they were gonna close. Repco had the Ryco brand for $26. The Supercheap could been a Ryco brand but the difference seems significant, maybe a Supercheap brand? SCA :confused:

coldfront
07-07-2012, 10:41 PM
What a lot of fuss!

Did you not check the books they have in supercheap for the Oil Filter yourself or did you just trust the word of the school kid that sold you it? In fairness differant suppliers have differant product codes but those books are based on the manufacturers cross referancing.

Nomad
08-07-2012, 12:36 AM
What a lot of fuss!

Did you not check the books they have in supercheap for the Oil Filter yourself or did you just trust the word of the school kid that sold you it? In fairness differant suppliers have differant product codes but those books are based on the manufacturers cross referancing.

We did check the book cos the filter was a bit shorter than the one we usually get. But two workers said that it was correct that the height doesn't matter it's the thread that counts. We gave them the rego number that they looked thru the computer, which I assumed was accurate - it was specific.

I might have a look at the OEM store and see how much the original filters are.
We been using Ryco and Repco branded filters without issues but youtube videos says otherwise and I read they don't cost that much more, at least the ones overseas.

Chilling_Silence
08-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Meh, same thing happened on my MX5, only I was provided one that was too long. For the cost of $15 or whatever, I didn't even bother taking it back and just got another *correct* one. Didn't think it was worth getting upset about personally.

plod
08-07-2012, 09:34 AM
When I had my Toyota, I always priced genuine parts first. I was often surprised. A lot of the time their were cheaper then aftermarket, or only a couple of dollars more

Nomad
08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
The local landfill takes back used oil. Anyone know if the filters can be recycled :confused:

plod
08-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Yes, straight in the bin

coldfront
08-07-2012, 07:36 PM
The local landfill takes back used oil. Anyone know if the filters can be recycled :confused:

Yep flush with petrol to clean them out then put on trademe :)

Personally I bung them in the firebox to recycle the heat from the burnt off oil, then just biff whats left out in hte garden to rust into the ground. Recycling at its finest puts the iron back in the ground.

globe
08-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Was gonna change the oil. Then I was going to put the oil filter on, the one they told me to get which was the wrong one.

happens all the time when i go to repco, never seem to manage to keep the serial number of the filter i actually need between changes. must write it down somewhere safer next time. one day...

R2x1
08-07-2012, 08:46 PM
That's not such a great idea. The part number written on the oil change sticker may be handy though. ;) It is probably unnecessary to say just how I know this .