PDA

View Full Version : Panel beating question........

beetle
07-07-2012, 03:56 PM
me truck has had a wee misshap.........

The fibreglass front has been damaged, they are shaped bumper, panel scoops?

Mr nobody is responsible.... :D and because i dont have an explanation...... i dont think its an insurance job...? cos i know i didnt do it.

and im wondering if you can get replacement ones and do they just bolt on?

Im presuming a complete new one will be the only choice since it isnt sitting nicely any more, and it vibrates / flaps a bit when you are touching it, and it has a chunk out of it? ( havnt noticed this on the road as havnt been out of town since it happend to see if it causes major flap or probs

any one got a site i can look at for possible price / costs before i go running off to panel beaters....

Suzuki 2002 Grand Escudo :D

beetle

The Error Guy
07-07-2012, 04:12 PM
You should be able to find bumpers from a wreckers or the likes, also look into fiber glassing and bogging up the hole, wet sanding and applying a coat of paint to that.

Trev
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Should be able to get it fixed by insurance, but you will have to pay the excess. Why not ask your insurance company first. They can only say yes or no.
:)

Bryan
07-07-2012, 05:07 PM
There would be the loss of your no claim bonus to consider too.

Trev
07-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Yes.
:)

Richard
07-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Off course a bit, but what happened with the Fiat 500 Bambino you were going to resurrect??

beetle
07-07-2012, 05:42 PM
The bambina...... i ended up giving up on it, and sold it .... i was trying to de clutter my life...lol still trying to...
The week after i sold it, it was up and running by the people who bought it.... :)
The same with my dads Ford Fairlane, a week after i sold that it was going as well, :)

I decided i needed to move on from the past.
The only vehicle i regret selling was my Jeep............ lol weird but true.

prefect
07-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Leave it, if it fails WOF just tape it up.
It is a 4WD made for bashing up bush tracks. If you are using it for only for town use well thats a crime against the planet.

beetle
07-07-2012, 06:03 PM
LOL as far as i can tell we damaged it at the beach...and mucking about in it at the beach....... going by the amount of sand and crap i washed off, thats after the mud fell off in the drive way....from where i dont know.... hmmmm so i dont think its just a town car... took me ages to clean it...... only 2nd time ive washed it since i bought it i think...

Lawrence
07-07-2012, 06:28 PM
If this is like yours http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/222905563_full.jpg you will find most vehicles have ABS (plastic) front and rear bumpers

you can get them plastic welded but the most cost is the painting

Paul.Cov
07-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I endorse what Lawrence has said. It's probably just a broken lug or two where the whole thing gets screwed to the main frame.

They look pathetically flimsy from day one, but a plastic weld will get it sorted.

I've spoken to painters about my own, and the attitude I got from them was that these plastic bits are buggers to paint properly. If the cosmetics aren't too important I'd just bog it and seal it and leave it at that.

mzee
07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
There are plastic welders who repair bumpers etc, look like new at a fraction of the new price. I don't know where you are located but there is a very good plastic welder in Glenfield, North Shore.

The Error Guy
07-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Oh no beatle, saw you sold the Fiat and was thinking oh well, not something I would miss, then I saw you had a Fairlane :drool:... just about had a heart attack :dogeye: I want one of those, or anything pre 1980 really. Hahah, stuck with my pugget and the Borris at keale. Oh well, one day i'll get enough $ to get a sweet project and satisfy myself in a shed.

Good luck with the bumper

beetle
07-07-2012, 10:06 PM
LOL

was a 1971 Ford Fairlane V8, original condition...it was quite difficult to sell..... the sentimental value was enormous, but it also proved to hard for me to keep. sigh

and the bambina was a 1964 model. this proved to be slightly easier to sell...

Both vehicles went to actual people who wanted themand had the time and money and knowledge to fix them and get them on the road again...

yes i am sad i sold them, but no way could i get them back on the road. money became a real issue....lol
beetle

BobM
07-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Hi Beetle, that wasn't the 'bulldozer' Bambina was it.? :) :)

The Error Guy
07-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Hard to sell? Only thing stopping people these days would be the V8. Not at nice as the '59 Galaxie, still would have crawled my way over to it ahaha, I understand the sentimental, that's a big one. Cost and storage are big ones too. I hope the new owners enjoy them though.