PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning and 'Things'

ruup
07-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi,three question for those who know.I want to partition C drive and store my Music,Document folder's etc on a separate partition.I found a partition that I have no idea how it got there or why it's there.I recall it having been there since I bought the harddrive new. (see attached jpg)

1. What is it?
2. Do I need it?
3. If I can how do I get rid of it?

Thanks for the replies.

ruup

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2012, 02:10 PM
If youre talking about the last one / the 100 mb thats what some versions of windows 7 install. Probably not a good idea removing it now. Probably, the only way you can remove it is to reformat and make the other partitions bigger. So, the install cant create it

Paul.Cov
07-07-2012, 02:39 PM
And given that it's a piddling 100MB, it is not worth the bother to deal to it. I can however understand the sentiment in wanting to tidy it up, but oftentimes these are put there for a purpose (typically boot/recovery files that we never know any use for)

Agent_24
07-07-2012, 04:10 PM
It's possible to install Windows without creating that 100MB partition, but I think it will be difficult to remove now that Windows is installed (without breaking Windows)

Probably best just to leave it alone.

ruup
07-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi,thanks for the replies,can you please tell me how to install without the partition?

Cheers

Agent_24
07-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi,thanks for the replies,can you please tell me how to install without the partition?

Cheers

http://www.mydigitallife.info/hack-to-remove-100-mb-system-reserved-partition-when-installing-windows-7/

You have several options, some are easier than others.

Note you should not remove it or prevent its creation if you intend to use Bitlocker.

wainuitech
07-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Its best to leave that 100MB partition, it contains several important files , if you remove it, sometimes you have to run a startup repair from the DVD next time you boot windows to repair it. Seen many times people remove that partition and windows wont boot afterwards.
(even done it myself)
And you'll need the DVD if windows ever fails to boot in the future for some reason. 100MB is nothing - if you have that little amount of space, you need to have a clean out or get a bigger drive :2cents:

MistyCat
07-07-2012, 05:52 PM
If you were to do a job of work for someone else, what's your time worth?

Here's some info to use while calculating.

NZ Min wage per hour - $13.00 (I think)
You didn't mis-spell anything - you're worth $18:00 per hour.

4 gig pendrive = $8:00
Relative value of 100 meg = $0.20c
Time to earn 20c = < 1 minute

Time spent on repartitioning * Element of Risk - Drinking time wasted = X

Is X worth it?