PDA

View Full Version : Two modems, two computers, same phoneline.

lakewoodlady
07-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Can it be done? Is it possible to have two computers connected to two separate modems in same house sharing same ADSL BB connection?
This question was asked of me today, but I said I don't think you can do it.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2012, 01:04 PM
No. Probably better if you network them with ethernet or wireless

Nick G
07-07-2012, 01:09 PM
No, it can't be done. What does the person who asked you want it for?

lakewoodlady
07-07-2012, 05:03 PM
That's what I thought, but told them I'd find out for sure. They wanted to have the PC desktop in one room on one modem, and have the Laptop in a different room on another (spare) modem. I did point out that they would be better to get Wi-Fi in just the room with the PC and connect wirelessly with the laptop. I have since convinced them to ask their ISP to supply a wireless modem, especially as they have just renewed their contact with them. (Telstraclear) So they rang up and asked, and wadda ya know, there will be one arriving for them on about Monday! They were too scared to ask before I think, being an older couple and thought they'd have to pay for one.
All is sweet now.

LL

Nick G
07-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Good to hear its been sorted.

mikebartnz
07-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Can it be done? Is it possible to have two computers connected to two separate modems in same house sharing same ADSL BB connection?
This question was asked of me today, but I said I don't think you can do it.

LL
That would only work if connected at different times.

Nomad
08-07-2012, 12:56 AM
The other could be dialup access :D (from the same BB account).

If they don't need the modem, they could send it back and get a extra months credit instead.

pctek
08-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Could just run cabling too............