PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Vista to Win HP

curly
07-07-2012, 11:47 AM
I purchased this Acer Windows 7 Upgrade Kit. (its going on an Acer laptop running Vista).

The instructions are very minimal, but I wanted to ask if putting a new operating system
onto the laptop will wipe out my files or data, or will the process just change the op system.

Anyway, I might have to "bite the bullet", as the laptop is having all sorts of problems and
I think it will totally fail quite soon.

The package came with 2 disks, one Acer one used to setup the Acer laptop and a MS Win
7 upgrade media disk, just in case anyone needs that info.

Nick G
07-07-2012, 11:54 AM
If you do an 'upgrade' install no. AFAIK doing a 'custom' install will wipe you programs, and may or may not wipe your files (I think they might just be put in a folder called win.old, but they may also be wiped.

sahilcc7
07-07-2012, 12:18 PM
If you upgrade, you might still have problems that you had with vista. Custom install deletes programs but files are kept in windows.old folder.

Iantech
07-07-2012, 12:58 PM
What sort of 'other' problems is it having?

wainuitech
07-07-2012, 03:48 PM
if you are having problems with vista, instal;ling HP as an upgrade over the top wont do any good, you'll simply be putting a good OS ( W7) ontop of a damaged one, it wont fix the problems. You are better doing a full reinstall with eh upgrade DVD - wiping the drive and starting from fresh after saving all your data etc.

You can do a full install From a upgrade DVD, you just need to do a couple of steps that are not quite normal in a install.
Heres how - works perfectly http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/ Workaround 3 works quicker.

Lawrence
07-07-2012, 06:07 PM
That's what I did to my HP,got the Win 7 upgrade disk when I got it

Wiped the lot (HP) add-ons and installed on a blank disk using this http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean-...nk-hard-drive/ (as above)

Might pay to see if there is any Bios upgrades for Win 7 for your Acer as I had hibernation problems under Win 7 and had to reinstall some HP software to upgrade the Bios (as there was a problem with HP Desktops)

curly
07-07-2012, 10:14 PM
What is an elevated command prompt, how does it differ from a normal command prompt ?

curly
07-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Sorry about that, I found out how to do it :-(

curly
08-07-2012, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=Lawrence;1103937]That's what I did to my HP,got the Win 7 upgrade disk when I got it
Just for your digitallife info, the URL does not work !

Wiped the lot (HP) add-ons and installed on a blank disk using this http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean-...nk-hard-drive/ (as above)]

wainuitech
08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Lawrence;1103937]That's what I did to my HP,got the Win 7 upgrade disk when I got it
Just for your digitallife info, the URL does not work !

Wiped the lot (HP) add-ons and installed on a blank disk using this http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean-...nk-hard-drive/ (as above)] The link I posted works fine, and so does the method, done it several times with no problems as long as you follow it to the instructions. I always use method 3, never had a problem.

Lawrence
08-07-2012, 05:24 PM
The link worked at the time,have another go here

http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

curly
16-08-2012, 11:50 AM
if you are having problems with vista, instal;ling HP as an upgrade over the top wont do any good, you'll simply be putting a good OS ( W7) ontop of a damaged one, it wont fix the problems. You are better doing a full reinstall with eh upgrade DVD - wiping the drive and starting from fresh after saving all your data etc.

You can do a full install From a upgrade DVD, you just need to do a couple of steps that are not quite normal in a install.
Heres how - works perfectly http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/ Workaround 3 works quicker.

Firstly wanted to thank U guys, as now the laptop functions (almost) as it did the day i bought it :-) By the way using option 3 worked a treat !

However I need to tidy up a couple of things. When it boot up it goes into Windows Boot Manager, Option 1 is open win 7, option 2 is open win Vista. Option 2 does not work, so is there a way to bypass the Win Boot Manager and just have win 7 open normally ?

When I did the upgrade to Win 7, using option 3, I noted that all of the programs in Vista were moved into windows.old. I tried firstly to open some of the windows.old files but nothing happened. Is there a way to at least move some of the .old files back to win 7 ? Prior to the upgrade, I also did an external HDD backup of C and D drives and now wonder if I can somehow move some files back to win 7. However it won't be the end of the world if it can't be done :-)

Anyway... Again thanks for the sucessful outcome

sahilcc7
16-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Firstly wanted to thank U guys, as now the laptop functions (almost) as it did the day i bought it :-) By the way using option 3 worked a treat !

However I need to tidy up a couple of things. When it boot up it goes into Windows Boot Manager, Option 1 is open win 7, option 2 is open win Vista. Option 2 does not work, so is there a way to bypass the Win Boot Manager and just have win 7 open normally ?

Yep, download EasyBCD and delete the entry from there under 'edit boot menu'.

curly
19-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Yep, download EasyBCD and delete the entry from there under 'edit boot menu'.

Great one, it worked a treat, thanks

curly
19-08-2012, 08:33 PM
If you upgrade, you might still have problems that you had with vista. Custom install deletes programs but files are kept in windows.old folder.

Yeah, I found that out, but a fresh/ clean/new install corrected that. Vista was hanging onto life by just a thread ! I noted the files in windows.old and made an unsucessful
attempt to open a couple in windows 7, but win 7 didn't like the idea. Not that there is many I need, but how might I put them into win 7 ?

gary67
19-08-2012, 09:10 PM
What sort of files? programs will need to be re installed, data files can just be moved to their new home

curly
20-08-2012, 07:53 PM
What sort of files? programs will need to be re installed, data files can just be moved to their new home

Thanks Gary67, that just what I was looking for - now to do it !