PDA

View Full Version : Error 1717 - cant connect to net

Morgenmuffel
06-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Machine - Vista
Operator - My Mum
Internet - Dial-up

Thats pretty much all the info i have, i won't have access to the machine till later in the week.

My Mums computer won't hook up to the net, shes talked to xnets helpdesk and they have helped her to track down the error message, but they can't get her any further (note my mother is fairly computer illiterate), the error message i have been told is

Vista error 1717

Which from what i have searched online this appears to be when windows can't find a modem. as its a laptop the modem is builtin and has been working fine for the last few years with no problems.

Also her antivirus appears to have expired at around the same time, I am wondering if that may have something to do with it? (probably not but coincidences normally aren't coincidences when dealing with computers), I don't remember the name of it, its some fairly obscure one from memory (I hadn't heard of it) but it is legit, so will probably replace that with microsoft security essentials.

Ok so my question is this

1) How do i fix it, I can't seem to find any threads from anyone who has successfully fixed this problem. i was thinking to uninstall the modem drivers, then reinstall them from the makers site to see if that works
2) I have broadband at home, can I test a dial up system at home to see if it works once i have had a go at fixing it?
3) I am assuming that if i can't fix the internal modem, I can just get an external dial-up modem and connect it to the lappie via the ethernet port (do they still make dial up modems?)

If there is anymore info you need let me know, but be aware regarding the error, thats what i was told so, yeah

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Does this AV program, inc a firewall? If it does, I would uninstall it, then use its removal tool (if its got one) then reboot. Then see what happens. It looks like that error means interface is unknown or something. And this maybe related to a service / dependency thats failing to start.

See if event viewer opens. Start/run type eventvwr.msc. I would also look in device manager (under the modem) See if it says its working. Or if its got a prob (or shows an error code)

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2012, 07:19 PM
And did she or anyone else disable any services? If she did (or if anyone did) enable them again

Morgenmuffel
08-07-2012, 10:37 AM
she is unlikely to have enabled/disabled any services, as all she uses it for is to check email once a week. but I will have a look.

Will definitely remove old av, and firewall

Does anyone know if i can test the dial-up modem on my broadband connection?

fred_fish
08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
If you can make voice calls, then yes.

Morgenmuffel
08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Just got computer, on booting into windows i get an error message about "Quick heal " firewall not starting because it has expired, or the key is invalid or something

Old antivirus appears to be "Quick Heal Total security 2010"

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Uninstall it

Morgenmuffel
08-07-2012, 03:47 PM
yep uninstalled it and a "live update" thing of Nortons that happened to be there