PDA

View Full Version : Help - A Book I ALMOST Remember

SurferJoe46
06-07-2012, 03:47 AM
I was a fairly avid science fiction reader in school and a lot of the Heinlein and Asimov and Bradbury stories blur into a glutenous mass some times.

But --- one I remember involved two planets in war where the computerized drone bombs were not making it to their targets on either side until someone came up with a new, brilliant design:

Put a person inside the missile and it was un-jammable. Does anyone remember that story line?

Anyway - what popped this flashback into my head this morning is the following article:::

How College Students Hijacked A Government Spy Drone

A heated controversy is about to get even more controversial after a group of college students figured out a way to hack a government surveillance drone.

The experiment, carried out by a University of Texas team in conjunction with the Department of Homeland security, used a method called GPS-spoofing. Using about $1,000 worth of equipment, the researchers were able to “spoof” a GPS receiver, send false signals and take control of the unmanned aircraft. To highlight just how dangerous a hijacked aircraft can be, they nearly steered it into the ground before a safety pilot with a radio control intervened to prevent the drone from crashing.

The security of UAV technology has been a concern since military officials discovered a computer virus had infected systems used to control Predator and Reaper drones. Such fears were heightened when Iran was able to capture the U.S. military’s most advanced reconnaissance aircraft, a RQ-170 Sentinal last December. It’s believed that the hackers brought down the drone by jamming GPS navigational signals.

GPS spoofing, however, takes the threat to more sophisticated and dangerous level since a hijacked drone can be manipulated to carry out attacks or to steal gathered intelligence. It’s kind of like the robot version of being possessed or mind control.

LINK::: http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinking-tech/how-college-students-hijacked-a-government-spy-drone/12214?tag=nl.e660

Look for an interesting 'buzz word' in the article if you wanna. I noticed it right away.

the possibility of “re-possession” has become cause for concern. That's kinda like calling an illegal alien a: map-dysfunctional tourist.