PDA

View Full Version : a couple of things???

01-11-2001, 05:20 PM
I just wanted to know how you change the start up and shut down screens to the original microsoft ones?
And the second thing was ......i have zonealarm installed on my pc and every time i connect to the internet it asks me if i want MSBB.EXE and QMgr to access the net, i dont know if i should or shouldnt? there are also other programs in the zonealarm list the im not sure why or if they should access the net??

01-11-2001, 08:15 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure about your ZoneAlarm problem, if you don't know what the programs are, and your internet session is not affected then I suggest you deny them access.

To change the Windows startup and shutdown screens (Win9x/ME)
There is a file in the C:\ which is hidden called 'logo.sys' it's just a bitmap with the windows startup image in it. Make or download a new image for your startup screen (it must be 320x400 8-bit colour) backup the existing logo.sys by renaming it and put your new bitmap image in it's place. (Name it logo.sys)

The two shutdown screens are located in the c:\windows directory, they are called logow.sys and logos.sys.

It's the same deal with them as with logo.sys

Have fun!

01-11-2001, 09:37 PM
One of those program thingeys (QMgr) that want to access the internet have something to do with MSN. It runs in the background, something to do with being ready to tell you whether your pals are online (even if you aren't running MSN at the time, duh). Or that's what I was told, anyway.

Sometimes I let it, sometimes I don't....

01-11-2001, 10:00 PM
To restore your startup screen delete C:\LOGO.SYS (it will go back to the one in IO.SYS).

To restore the shutdown screens, you need to restore the files logow.sys and logos.sys. Hopefully you backed up the origionals (eg logow.bak or similar).

Otherwise you will have to have a look thru the CABs on your windows CD (winzip will open them).