PDA

View Full Version : Crimestoppers call centre

coldfront
05-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Had the weirdest experiance calling the 0800 555 111 number today.

Person on the other end had no idea of where I was calling from or able to pronounce the place names! Ok they had a strong London accent...nothing wrong with that BUT the best part was they were actually in the UK :eek: blew me away that info passed here goes to the UK to be passed back here.

Next time I will ring the cop shop directly assuming I dont get redirected to India :rolleyes:

inphinity
05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
That's how they enforce anonymity - it's handled via the UK.

Bobh
05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I just googled the NZ Police site here (http://www.police.govt.nz/blog/2009/10/14/crimestoppers-creates-new-flow-information/21263).

Crimestoppers means people can pass on information completely anonymously, either by phone (0800 555111) or with an encrypted online form. You don't have to reveal your identity or share any personal information. Calls and reports cannot be traced.

It is a charity which runs independently of Police, government or other law enforcement agencies.

It is based on a successful UK model. Until a New Zealand call centre can be set up, crime reports will be handled by the UK Crimestoppers call centre. The information will then be sent on to us. We will deal with criminal matters and pass on information about other types of offending to the appropriate agency.

zqwerty
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
One word.............Ludicrous

WalOne
05-07-2012, 02:17 PM
One word.............Ludicrous

Several words: cost effective, logical.

trig42
05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Makes sense to me. It ensure the person taking the call will not know the caller.
I thought I had heard that is was a reciprocal thing - the UK crimestoppers equivalent has call centres here. Might not be true.

pctek
05-07-2012, 03:03 PM
IT's not a cop site, so why think it's all NZ? You want to report crime, ring 111 or the local station.

coldfront
05-07-2012, 06:53 PM
IT's not a cop site, so why think it's all NZ? You want to report crime, ring 111 or the local station.

Interesting enough not all percieved crime is handled by the Police....yea thats what I thought as well hence the number called. Wont go into anymore detail other than the number was via a goverment agency website. Bobh cleared it up and still it makes lttle sense.

Actually it does make sense when your ringing your local cop shop and always end up speaking with someone who knows you in the community even if you withhold your name.

Whenu
05-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Have you got a rep already, coldfront?

R2x1
05-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Cop Corp probably subcontract all that nasty stuff out, so they can concentrate on parking tickets and getting those malefactors blatantly hurtling down deserted roads at 4 kph above the limit. Gotta concentrate on the revenue centers. ;)

coldfront
05-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Have you got a rep already, coldfront?

ha ha Your funny! Small towns, small minds and potential for loose lips sinking big ships. Lets put it this way I was surprised that the subject I was looking into was refered to crimestoppers, more surprised that it was not directed via the local cops. Conversation with the local cops says it is not a police matter anyways. I am surprised this is a crimestoppers issue though and not a department issue.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/general/generalinformation/immigrationfraud/reportfraud.htm

I have little qualms in reporting employers who illegally employ staff at a cost to our nations employment who do the right thing.