PDA

View Full Version : My computer restarts randomly

Tplw9
04-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi guts and gals,
My computer keeps restarting randomly, the screen turns off and the BIOS buzzer thing beeps infinitely. If I turn the computer off and back on I can open up windows then after a while it does it again.
Please help

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Sounds like a hardware prob.. Disable auto restart in windows, and see if it brings up a blue screen (if its crashing). When it beeps does it stop or say anything on the post screen?

Iantech
04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
It may be overheating. Take the side cover off and see if your processor fan is going around. You might also be able to log in to the BIOS and check the system health of your computer that may also tell you the cpu temp. Keep an eye on it and let us know what temp it is reaching. The CPU temp at idle should be around 20c ~ 35c but can be up to around 50c depending on processor and cooling efficiency.

It is a dektop pc I take it and not a laptop?

Tplw9
04-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I tried both the same thing still happens

Tbird650
04-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I'd install a temperature monitoring program like Speccy (http://www.piriform.com/speccy)
The last time I had this problem it turned out that the graphics card fan was clogged with carpet dust and overheating.
Also test the memory. I've used memtest (http://www.memtest.org/). I suppose the current version is as good as ever...

Tplw9
04-07-2012, 07:35 PM
The beeps are one long beep then one short beep then it just infinitely does long beeps.

Speedy Gonzales
04-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Is this the same computer that game wont install on? If it is, this prob and the other prob, maybe related ( why the game wont install). Have you tested the memory and the temp yet? What version of windows is installed? Are you in NZ or somewhere else?

Agent_24
04-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Yes, Check CPU temperature with a monitoring program, check your CPU voltage is set correctly. Remove any overclocks. If that's OK then try running Memtest.

An underpowered\faulty PSU could also cause this problem. As could other faulty devices. You could try disconnecting all non-essential devices (like DVD drives) and see if the PC still behaves badly, as one of them could be causing the problem.

It could even be caused by an out-of-date BIOS not correctly supporting your CPU or such.

pctek
05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Repeating short beeps system board problem
1 long, 1 short beep System board problem

Tplw9
05-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes I am in NZ I don't think it could be the PSU but would the problem have anything to do with the power cord being pulled out while the machine was running? Also the Macine is only two weeks old.

Nick G
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
While pulling a power cord out while the machine was running is not a good idea, I don't think it would cause something like this.

mikebartnz
05-07-2012, 11:09 AM
The beeps are one long beep then one short beep then it just infinitely does long beeps.
Go to the Bios makers web site and you can find out exactly what those beeps mean. PCTek is probably right though.

linw
05-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Did you test the CPU temps? What are they?

Is the comp a proprietary product or assembled by you or someone else?

Did the problem occur before the pwr plug was pulled?

This is like pulling teeth - you have to help as well.

Tplw9
05-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Ok guys I opened up the case, pulled out every plug and reconnected them also pulled out ram and put it back in and it works fine now. Horray