PDA

View Full Version : Avira - anti virus - they are now spamming me two or three times a day.

Digby
02-07-2012, 04:22 PM
I have been using Avira anti virus for the last 2 years
I have had no problems with it and seem to have picked up no viruses in that time.

I recently upgraded to their 2012 version and now I am being spammed 2 or 3 times a day to buy their product.

While I understand that it what they want to do, asking me two or three times a day is a bit over the top.

I am going to email them to tell them that.

What do you think ?

I think I may turn the updates off, and just get them once a month.

Please don't suggest other products as I have tried many and want to stick with avira.

SP8's
02-07-2012, 04:28 PM
I seem to recall I had a computer with Avira AV on once ... If I was you, I'd use Revo uninstaller to get rid of it and put MSSE on ...

:2cents:

More trouble than what it it was worth ... and I think it was free ... :lol:

$h!t ... didn't read the last line of your post .... sorry .... but still think MSSE is better software.

Nick G
02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Yup, the desktop I used to use had Avira on it. It did the same, which was part of the reason I ditched Avira when I bought my laptop.

Digby
02-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I can get rid of it If I want to
My point is that I like it

I just don't want them spamming me to buy their paid version 3 times a day!

mzee
02-07-2012, 07:07 PM
You have dug a hole for yourself and seem to enjoy being stuck in it! If you are running Windows use Microsoft Security which made for it and free. I get pissed off with people who ask for advice then don't listen. Carry on with Avira, but don't waste our time.

kahawai chaser
02-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Try block the avira notify executable, (http://www.google.co.nz/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=C%3A%5CProgram+Files%5CAvira%5CAntiVir+Desktop%5 Cavnotify.exe&oq=C:%5CProgram+Files%5CAvira%5CAntiVir+Desktop%5C avnotify.exe&gs_l=hp.3...2006.2006.0.2892.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0. ..0.0.lX_F1FhtLVk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=c0a71f853a7e4a00&biw=1024&bih=513) might involve a bit of work or a firewall custom setting trial and error process.

Agent_24
02-07-2012, 07:52 PM
I used Avira for a stretch a couple of years ago, it worked well enough but then a new version came out.

In the name of user-friendliness (or as Linus puts it "the customer is stupid, so we'll make the program stupid mentality") they changed the detection dialog so that it was impossible to choose what YOU wanted to do with the file in question - very annoying when you KNOW for certain it was a false positive!

autechre
03-07-2012, 09:26 AM
How often is your Avira set to update? Mine is once every 10 days and I don't get spammed once. I only get the big pop-up on updating and the occasional "slide-up" from the system tray.

When version 2012 was first rolled out it did spam frequently though.

wainuitech
03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Seems Avira are doing their best to piss users off with their own spam, From their forum http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=145681 there is a suggestion there in one post that may work, but as the others have said - get something better that doesn't annoy you all the time. If you want to use Avira Free, then put up with the spam, otherwise looks like you may have to buy it.

Agent_24
03-07-2012, 09:43 AM
I tried blocking that avnotify.exe from actually executing with Comodo once, but I think Avira didn't update properly when I did.

I suggest you buy it or ditch it, if it's that annoying to you.