PDA

View Full Version : Modem Problems Anyone???

01-11-2001, 01:32 PM
Hello,

I just wondered whether anyone had experienced dial-up connection problems recently.

Out-of-the-blue, my connections were locking up; I was connected but no data went either way.

Dynalink replaced it for me (an external 56k modem), I reinstalled W2K, tried dropping the connection speed; and had Telecom check the line - everything.

Then, after several weeks, it suddenly came right. For no reason. Did anyone else have this problem?

01-11-2001, 06:52 PM
Yes and 7 others here in pukekohe and 3 friends in morrinsville, but xtra say it is not them. They put the price up and down go service, do they hope we will drift away to PARADISE lol

01-11-2001, 11:49 PM
ISPs have a lot to answer for. The one I am with (who shall remain nameless because they don't deserve the credit of being named) had a couple of server problems recently meaning slow data transfer, not connecting at all, or if I did, waiting an hour for one email to open.

Did they inform their customers of what was going on? No. And strangely enough these problems occurred at night when there was probably no one around to fix it till the morning...

Modems are generally fairly reliable, they usually either work or they don't. And if you can make a voice call to someone I wouldn't suspect any probs with Telecom's lines, even tho they have their fare share of problems as well.

It is a rare event for an ISP to admit they have a problem.

02-11-2001, 05:45 PM
I live in Gisborne, had the same problem. Got my modem replaced for the 2nd time under warranty. ISP says no problem at their end. Telecom says no problem with line. But I kept dropping off. Nice to know others had the same problem. Thought I had been sold a dud computer.