PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Whangarei??

stu161204
01-07-2012, 08:19 PM
In a few days we are heading up to Whangarei for 4 days.

I am looking for any suggestions on what to do there?

Also I am hoping to do a horse trek while I am up there, has anyone done a horse trek in Whangarei?

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 08:31 PM
If you are into horse trekking and are around the Wairarapa give me a PM and I will put you onto a great spot for it. Does involve quite a drive though but well worth it.

Metla
01-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Lock the car doors, keep em locked.

Get your mum to put her wallet in her pocket and not in her handbag.

Eat at KFC to experience the local culture.

Metla
01-07-2012, 08:37 PM
If you are into horse trekking and are around the Wairarapa give me a PM and I will put you onto a great spot for it. Does involve quite a drive though but well worth it.

I'll say, It would take about 11 hours......

Trev
01-07-2012, 08:43 PM
http://www.whangareinz.com/
:)

pine-o-cleen
01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
...Eat at KFC to experience the local culture.

Get a pint at the Tikipunga Tavern, that will be a 'cultural experience' and a half.

inphinity
01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Only thing I've ever wanted to do in Whangarei is leave :P

CYaBro
01-07-2012, 09:57 PM
And stay out! :D

kahawai chaser
01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Grew up there a little - Mainly coastal beaches and walk tracks, and one way streets in the city if still present. Visitors generally visit the heads and the Tutukaka coast during summer. Even just driving around has, I believe has great coastal views. Glenbervie (http://www.zoodle.co.nz/community/northland/whangarei-district/glenbervie) when entering TK coastal road, - should see miles of ancient rock wall along the paddocks/orchards/life style blocks, now has an playground forest. (http://adventureforest.co.nz/location.php) Also the water falls. City centre is a bit compact, look for the large outdoor chess pieces, and cafes, nature/history walks, trails, etc along the water front.

Binoculars come in handy, e.g for viewing the sand spit at Ngunguru beach/river, of which the actual bay is behind it - which has a expansive view when viewed from a little lookout/hill further up the road. Similar for the Whangarei heads, "the nook", tracks to smugglers bay, etc, across to marsden point and bream bay.

gary67
02-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Visit CYaBro at work

pctek
02-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Lock the car doors, keep em locked.

Get your mum to put her wallet in her pocket and not in her handbag.

Eat at KFC to experience the local culture.

This from someone who comes from Wanganui? LOL.

Neil McC
02-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Drive up Parahaki for a great view of the city.

lakewoodlady
02-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Visit the clock shop, if you like clocks, it's an amazing shop! Ask around, everyone knows where the clock shop is!

LL

Paul.Cov
02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
The weather forcast is for heavy rain, so outdoor walking / activities may be ruled out.

There's an elevated walkway (fairly short) through the AH Reid park, where you're able to get among some decent Kauri. It can be accessed via the road to Pataua North (Whareora Rd). Some steepish walking from the lower carpark (the upper carpark only holds 2 cars!)

Seriously, take Metla's advice about locking your doors and hiding anything of value. The thieves have been targetting tourist carparks forever, and the council still is too useless to put in security cameras.

They will however spend millions on a nightmare inspired by too many Dr Seuss books... but you'll have to visit in a few years time to witness that folly.

If you like beer, then there's a boutique brewery on lower Dent St (handy alternative if the weather is foul).

BBCmicro
02-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Mrs Micro emails:

"Whangarei is one of those funny places like Gisborne. We ate at Cobb & Co at least once. From memory, the staff were very friendly, but I can't remember what the food was like. Possibly not great. I think we might have eaten down on the waterfront - we certainly had a drink down there. The Mitre 190 café was OK.

The gardens in the old quarry, and that walk up to the lookout - or drive like we did. Not sure about the walk along the 'river' as the stagger back to the main road nearly killed me. Is Whangarei where we walked to the waterfall? And the I-site recommended parking in the street rather than the car park - that was a more pleasant stroll."

mikebartnz
02-07-2012, 11:13 AM
"Whangarei is one of those funny places like Gisborne. We ate at Cobb & Co at least once. From memory, the staff were very friendly, but I can't remember what the food was like. Possibly not great. I think we might have eaten down on the waterfront - we certainly had a drink down there. The Mitre 190 café was OK.
and just as possibly quite reasonable if you can't remember and if you ate there more than once it couldn't have been too bad.

Metla
02-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Exactly.

WalOne
02-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Also I am hoping to do a horse trek while I am up there, has anyone done a horse trek in Whangarei?

You'll be lucky. The town only has one horse and if it's not booked out, it's knackered ...

:D

CYaBro
02-07-2012, 12:58 PM
If you like beer, then there's a boutique brewery on lower Dent St (handy alternative if the weather is foul).

Just down the road from us! :D

I don't know what there is to do in this town as I don't get out much...
I think the best things have already been suggested. And Metla is not wrong....

Gobe1
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Have a Pressf1 meet with Cyabro :thumbs:

zqwerty
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I spent about two weeks in Wangarei in 1980 or 81, not sure, with my new girlfriend of the time, who came from there, and my seven year-old daughter.

Weird place with weird vibes, unfriendly, right wing, money oriented people, didn't like it, left early leaving girlfriend behind, came back to Christchurch, she followed a bit later, worse luck.

Tl:dr........ Sh!thole, don't bother going there

BBCmicro
02-07-2012, 05:49 PM
and just as possibly quite reasonable if you can't remember and if you ate there more than once it couldn't have been too bad.

Yes, but you're talking logic :)

From another post:
Me: "Where's Goat Point?"
Mrs Micro: "I don't know."

Some time later -
Me: "Where's Princess Bay?"

"Perhaps it's near Goat Point?"

"Oh no - it's nowhere near there."

"So let me get this right. Some place you don't know where it is is not near some other place you don't know where it is??!!"

mikebartnz
02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Yes, but you're talking logic :)

From another post:
Me: "Where's Goat Point?"

Some time later -
Me: "Where's Princess Bay?"

"Perhaps it's near Goat Point?"

"Oh no - it's nowhere near there."

"So let me get this right. Some place you don't know where it is is not near some other place you don't know where it is??!!"
:lol::lol:

mzee
02-07-2012, 06:32 PM
I went there 40 years ago one weekend. The only entertainment available were the Salvation Army band and an hotel maid with a mustache! Been through many times but never bothered to stop.

Poppa John
02-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Just watch it cheeky young swede eater!!!PJ

Renmoo
02-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Are there any great bike tracks / trails in Wanganui?

Metla
02-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Are there any great bike tracks / trails in Wanganui?

Motorbikes?

Its Motorcycle paradise, South beach has hundreds if not thousands of acres of varied terrain to ride on.

And the roads out of Wanganui are stunning for motorbikes, The coastal highway in one direction, the legendary Parapara in the other, All the back roads that lead out Fordell through the Turakina valley and out to Hunterville.

best place I have ever lived in that regard, 20 seconds out my gate and Im on a backroad, roaring through some twistes, then heading up Okoia hill and out into the back blocks.

If you're referring to bicycles then....meh.

Buy a motorbike.

Alexis12
10-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Whangarei is a great place for visit, there are many things to see during your stay at there, best beaches for holidays like Matapouri Beach, Ocean Beach and Sandy Bay.

Digby
14-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Whangarei is a great place for visit, there are many things to see during your stay at there, best beaches for holidays like Matapouri Beach, Ocean Beach and Sandy Bay.

OK, so aside from the beaches can you list them ?

We should do one of these threads for other towns !

Paul.Cov
14-07-2012, 02:40 PM
We should do one of these threads for other towns !

Yeah, my one time in Te Awamutu sure left me wondering if there was any entertainment outside of the Finn's living room.

I found a takeaway in a train, but what else is there?

pine-o-cleen
14-07-2012, 04:27 PM
I spent about two weeks in Wangarei in 1980 or 81...
Tl:dr........ Sh!thole, don't bother going there

Ooh, so it can't have changed any in 32 years. Yup, some solid logic there.

zqwerty
14-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Was the people vibe rather than the place, the culture rather than the environment, the Zeitgeist rather than the biology and I bet that hasn't changed.

If it's anything like what has happened down here in the last thirty years then it's probably much worse.