PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill Disadvantages

learning
01-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Hello

Does Treadmill harm you then normal running. Just curious ? Any other disadvantages of treadmill over normal outdoor running ?

I have been getting some knee pains but i am not sure if its because of constant treadmill usage or something else.

I do treadmill every other day for 35min so maybe i am just over doing it

Metla
01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
In my experience treadmill running is far easier on the body then running in the real world, Though your exercise routine is probably responsible for your knee pain.

I'd alternate running with cycling and ask a medical professional about your knees.

Terry Porritt
01-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Hello

Does Treadmill harm you then normal running. Just curious ? Any other disadvantages of treadmill over normal outdoor running ?

I have been getting some knee pains but i am not sure if its because of constant treadmill usage or something else.

I do treadmill every other day for 35min so maybe i am just over doing it

The worst advice I ever took was from my cardiologist who persuaded me to join the runners in the local hospital rehab unit.
The problem with running is the affect on the brain producing running addiction: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/6066279/Confessions-of-a-running-addict.html, that's why joggers can hardly bring themselves to stop when crossing a road :rolleyes:

As a result my knees crapped out and it severely affected my tramping.

So if you have knee pain the only answer is to rest up until it has gone, you can't run the pain off.

A treadmill is more monotonous and repetitive than running over real ground where there is more variation, but then I'm not a runner, only a casualty of running :)

In my case Voltaren removes inflamation and the pain, but it has to be used sparingly.

The Error Guy
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Treadmills are all the negatives of running (as far as I can sum up). They set the pace and speed whilst jarring and bouncing your body. Your leg muscles don't build up as much as if you were actually pushing yourself. Treadmills only create cardio (aerobic) energy burn and help create stamina for actually sustaining a run (eg heart, lungs and general leg movement are trained and stimulated)

If you actually run on ground, inclines change and you have to actually move your mass rather than your legs, you will find that although you won't get short of breath from "normal" running if you are used to a treadmill your legs will get tired easily. It's more benificial to do "actual" running unless the treadmill had been recommended in conjunction with or as part of some other exercise (eg you might do 20min row, 5 mins treadmill sprint then 20 mins on a stationary bike) Other than that I prefer running for real myself, when I can be bothered.

I am no expert tho. Just my observation/experiance

Metla
01-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Personally I found running had too many negative effects, Hard on my entire body but especially my legs, and I was always out of breath. Couldn't get any enjoyment out of it.

I much prefer doing 20 minutes on a treadmill before lifting some weights, And using the bike out in the fresh air.

Bearing in mind Im 125kg so its a fair amount of weight to come crashing down when running, and I was even heavier.

learning
01-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Treadmills are all the negatives of running (as far as I can sum up). They set the pace and speed whilst jarring and bouncing your body. Your leg muscles don't build up as much as if you were actually pushing yourself. Treadmills only create cardio (aerobic) energy burn and help create stamina for actually sustaining a run (eg heart, lungs and general leg movement are trained and stimulated)

If you actually run on ground, inclines change and you have to actually move your mass rather than your legs, you will find that although you won't get short of breath from "normal" running if you are used to a treadmill your legs will get tired easily. It's more benificial to do "actual" running unless the treadmill had been recommended in conjunction with or as part of some other exercise (eg you might do 20min row, 5 mins treadmill sprint then 20 mins on a stationary bike) Other than that I prefer running for real myself, when I can be bothered.

I am no expert tho. Just my observation/experiance

I concur. Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas :)

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 09:48 PM
The problem with running is the affect on the brain producing running addiction: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/6066279/Confessions-of-a-running-addict.html, that's why joggers can hardly bring themselves to stop when crossing a road :rolleyes:
Years ago they had a guy on TV that had been a heroin addict and he reckoned intense running gave the same high. A guy got the Darwin award for running off a cliff because he was high on running.
Personally I think a good fast walk especially up an incline is far better for you as it isn't jarring the body the same way.

R2x1
01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
On the (rather slender) good side of the ledger for treadmills:
they enjoy significantly better weather;
you are not required to pass pig or poultry farms so often;
the traffic is better behaved, and it is difficult to take a wrong turn.

If they could be equipped with a PTO to drive the washing machine, and/or power the TV, a multi-bird-zapping routine could be realised while letting the stones gather a bit of moss.

wainuitech
01-07-2012, 11:04 PM
The wife uses a treadmill, she cant run as the jarring causes a leg injury she got yeas ago to play up & some weather can cause her Asthma to be bad.
The Dr advised walking in fine warmer weather and treadmill other times. She can walk no problems, and the treadmill doesn't have any negative effects at all as you can control speeds as well as amount of incline on the deck. At full incline its like walking up a steep hill, and you really feel it.

globe
01-07-2012, 11:55 PM
just had surgery on my knee about 2-3 months ago. Surgeon said start running again on a treadmill during rehab, avoid the road at all costs. Treadmill provide additional cushioning to help protect joints apparently (or something like that anyway).

plod
01-07-2012, 11:59 PM
I find a treadmill makes a great clothe rack

Paul.Cov
02-07-2012, 10:39 AM
I find a treadmill makes a great clothe rack

Yeah, same for my exercycle, which risks collapsing from the weight of laundry piled over the handlebars.

I really struggle to recognise any 'high' from intense running. It's only ever been torture for me. There's never been the slightest of buzz from it.

plod
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah, same for my exercycle, which risks collapsing from the weight of laundry piled over the handlebars.

I really struggle to recognise any 'high' from intense running. It's only ever been torture for me. There's never been the slightest of buzz from it.The buzz usually kicks in when you are being chased:D

02-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Ditch the treadmill, get a Exercycle. Much easier on the knees
I have a bad knee , & still use the Exercycle. Just dont overdo it, maybe every 2nd day ??

zqwerty
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Yep, ride a bicycle, you will notice immediate benefits and far fewer injuries as long as you don't get knocked off.

Gobe1
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Make sure you get some bloody good shoes too, dont skimp on footwear

SKT174
02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Running is bad on your knees, and ankles if you're not running properly and have no decent running shoes. I would prefer elliptical trainer over Treadmill. If all you want is to do some Cardio exercise, try power walk.

SP8's
02-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Sorry peoples ... I just find it absolutely ridiculous that someone would pay good money for a piece of equipment to walk or ride on when it takes you nowhere ... grab the rod or rifle ... head up into the hills, down to the river or sea and get yourselves some fresh meat for dinner ... now THAT is exercise ... :lol: