PDA

View Full Version : Android tablet newbie - can you upgrade from ICS to Jelly Bean?

Fishb8
01-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. Just ordered a tablet direct from a Chinese site and it comes with Android Jelly Bean. I've been a strictly Windows user and had no exposure to Android. Can you upgrade to Jelly bean and how is it done. My thoughts are it's better to do it right away before I've put my own apps and personalised info such as email accounts, contacts and browser favourites.
https://www.merimobiles.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MERI5625
Are all devices capable of upgrading to JB?

Nick G
01-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Well, in theory all products should be able to upgrade, but it is up to the maker to put out the update. Jelllybean hasn't been released on any devices than the nexus 7 yet, so it won't be available on your tablet yet.

Fishb8
01-07-2012, 05:22 PM
So Android is dependant on the hardware makers.
Keep thinking the Windows way when an older machine can still install a newer os of windows.

lakewoodlady
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Fish8, in your post you said it comes with jellybean, do you mean you want ICS on it?

LL

Fishb8
01-07-2012, 05:57 PM
DoH!! - well spotted - comes with ICS, not Jelly Bean

Nick G
01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
So Android is dependant on the hardware makers.
Keep thinking the Windows way when an older machine can still install a newer os of windows.
Yup, it's dependent. For example, the lg optimus 2x only comes with froyo installed, and it can be upgraded to gingerbread. Still no ics.

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Depends a lot on the manufacturer but you can always jail break it and do what you want with it.

stratex5
01-07-2012, 08:09 PM
...jail break it...

You mean root.

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 08:24 PM
You mean root.
They both mean the same thing.

stratex5
01-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Well acctually 'root' is for android, and 'jailbreak' is for ios. But simply, yes, they both mean the same thing.

Fishb8
01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
So, please explain root and jailbreak? What do they mean?
Is this for tablets?

stratex5
02-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Root is like jailbreak, but for tablets. Rooting also voids warrenty which could become a problem. jailbreak is similar but for iphones and ipods.

Chilling_Silence
02-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Not quite.

Rooting provides you with the equivalent of "Administrator" access to your device. It's not just limited to tablets.
Jailbreaking simply means you can install apps from outside the original App Store.

Both provide similar levels of functionality once completed though, because Jailbreaking provides you with similar levels of access to your iOS device. However, with Android, many come with the ability to install from 3rd party places by default, unless you happen to be on certain carriers in the US which have locked that part down too...

stratex5
02-07-2012, 09:16 AM
And doesnt 'rooting' void warrenty where as 'jailbreaking' doesnt as long as you do a factory reset.

sahilcc7
02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
And doesnt 'rooting' void warrenty where as 'jailbreaking' doesnt as long as you do a factory reset.

You can unroot.

Root just means admin in Linux.

Nick G
02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Basically rooting means you get admin rights to your android. This can mean installing a custom rom, automating some tasks, overclocking the processor etc. Afaik jailbreaking is something you do to ios devices that is similar to rooting an android. Once jailbroken, I believe that you can install apps not in the app store, and just customise it a bit. Not the same as rooting as you don't get the same level of control you do on a rooted device.

Chilling_Silence
02-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Well technically (IIRC, it's been a while since I sold my iPhone) Jailbreaking also provides root access in the process. I seem to remember having shell access and being able to do things like starting an ssh daemon etc

Also, rooting doesn't specifically void your warranty. Usually it's the process of unlocking your bootloader that does. However, even that doesn't fully void it. Right now I've got my HTC One X being repaired, faulty screen, yet I unlocked the bootloader and installed a custom 3rd party ROM on it (Which came pre-rooted). The warranty still stands, it's basically just the software side of things that HTC will no longer honor.

stratex5
02-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Ohh, ok.:)

dugimodo
02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
So discussions of Rooting aside the answer is maybe.

Google create the OS such as ICS or Jellybean, then the manufacturers customise it for their hardware, in the case of cell phones then the carriers customise it for their network, then it's made available to the customers. The manufacturers don't update all their old hardware to every new OS, my galaxy S is stuck on gingerbread and will probably never get ICS. It also varies by region with cell phones, Vodafone and Telecom for example don't release updates at the same time even though they sell some of the same phones.

If you want to root your phone or tablet as mentioned then you can find custom ROMs made by 3rd parties which gives you more choice and control over your device but it also requires a bit more technical understanding (for example the wrong ROM image on a cellphone may make it unable to function on the local cellular networks). People do this to get newer OS's as well as custom GUI's and extra features but it pays to do some research into the right version for your device and whether it's fully functional or has some bugs.

Chilling_Silence
02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
My galaxy S is stuck on gingerbread and will probably never get ICS

Correct, not from the vendor, although OneCosmic has released an AOSP build of ICS that works quite well. Google for "OneCosmic ICS" and you'll get the XDA link... IF it's really something you want ;-)

Fishb8
03-07-2012, 07:24 AM
OK thanks for that - it's a tablet, not a phone that I was interested in.
Only want to use it for travel on hols for email and browsing so will just leave it as is.

Chilling_Silence
03-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah in that case you really can't go wrong with the Nexus 7! You'd likely be disappointed with the el-cheapo chinese brands.

Nick G
03-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Nexus 7 will do you fine then.