PDA

View Full Version : Well - I Done Went 'n Done It ------------------Not An Enigma

SurferJoe46
01-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I just got off line ordering the Google Nexus 7. It isn't available yet, but it will ship in the next two weeks or so. LINK::: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406552,00.asp

Anyway - I got the 8G version as all my whole school library right now fits in a 256KB Pro-Strip SD card for my Palm Clie, and I figger that 8G is mighty big after that!

I get $25.00 to buy in things from Google Apps and a free movie (Transformers) included, all sync'd to my Google accounts before I receive it even.

$199.00 USD + $10.00 shipping and no sales tax since I live in Montana.

Yippeeeee!

tuiruru
01-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I just got off line ordering the Google Nexus 7. It isn't available yet, but it will ship in the next two weeks or so. LINK::: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406552,00.asp

Anyway - I got the 8G version as all my whole school library right now fits in a 256KB Pro-Strip SD card for my Palm Clie, and I figger that 8G is mighty big after that!

I get $25.00 to buy in things from Google Apps and a free movie (Transformers) included, all sync'd to my Google accounts before I receive it even.

$199.00 USD + $10.00 shipping and no sales tax since I live in Montana.

Yippeeeee!

You live in a place with NO sales tax??!! That must save you squillions. Our version of it GST (Goods and Services tax) rose from 12.5% to 15% a little while back, and there is already talk that it will have to go up to 17.5% to help pay for the rising cost of State superannuation cos of the Baby Boomers Bulge coming thru'.

I know you won't be able to help yourself as far as keeping us posted on the new toy is concerned. :) I don't think they've said when the release date for NZ is yet.

SurferJoe46
01-07-2012, 05:05 PM
You live in a place with NO sales tax??!! That must save you squillions. Our version of it GST (Goods and Services tax) rose from 12.5% to 15% a little while back, and there is already talk that it will have to go up to 17.5% to help pay for the rising cost of State superannuation cos of the Baby Boomers Bulge coming thru'.

I know you won't be able to help yourself as far as keeping us posted on the new toy is concerned. :) I don't think they've said when the release date for NZ is yet.

Yeah - how you like that? NO sales tax on anything here. Even states like Arizona have only a small city-by-city local tax that may be 1-2% or so. But Montana has NO TAX at all.

Prepare to be inundated with updates and bulletins about the Nexus. After all - it ain't Linux - I hope not anyway.

Ya know - one thing I really liked about Arizona, and this is not in all counties, but the county where I had the house +40 acres had a diminishing property tax that goes down as the mortgage is paid off until it is zero. If you had a house or even multiple houses on the property, there was no tax on the structures, but only on the dirt itself.

As the bank got it's money, you property tax went down every year until it was zero, so you could never lose the property for failure to pay the property tax in old age. You owned it ad it went to your next survivor for free with no taxes too.

If SOLD to a third part, the taxes were reinstated however. If you had a commercial business on the property, then only the structure that was use for commerce had any taxes to pay. But residents, garages and out building were all non-taxable for life.

feersumendjinn
01-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Just like Google demanding that for intelligent reason I allow them to have my cellphone number in case I get my screen name hacked or lose my password. Since I don't have and don't want a cellphone, how am I being served well? Not.

Could you not resist the dark side? :rolleyes:

SurferJoe46
01-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Could you not resist the dark side? :rolleyes:

I originally wanted to go with the Kindle Fire - but this at the same price has better resolution, a better screen, a GPS (get that!) and ergodynomic sensors for motion, pitch and attitude. Then the 4-core something or other and the thingamajiggy that is called: 'BUTTER' to keep pixillation and screen chatter to a minimum - and that's all good for me.

And I made an extra $600 today - so I also bought some bass guitar parts for my next building project.

tuiruru
01-07-2012, 06:24 PM
I originally wanted to go with the Kindle Fire - but this at the same price has better resolution, a better screen, a GPS (get that!) and ergodynomic sensors for motion, pitch and attitude. Then the 4-core something or other and the thingamajiggy that is called: 'BUTTER' to keep pixillation and screen chatter to a minimum - and that's all good for me.

And I made an extra $600 today - so I also bought some bass guitar parts for my next building project.W
e
ll, you're obviously on a roll Joe. Is there a State Lottery you should buy a ticket for? ;)

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 08:48 PM
After all - it ain't Linux - I hope not anyway.
Sorry to disappoint you Joe but it is really.

R2x1
01-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Well, yeah, it is Linux, but only for the OS. ;)

SurferJoe46
02-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Sorry to disappoint you Joe but it is really.

Well, yeah, it is Linux, but only for the OS. ;)

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......... ................................

I don't have to write any lines of code do I?

R2x1
02-07-2012, 09:39 AM
No need really, just take the Finnish National Anthem, transpose it for the Sousaphone, convert that to binary, stand on a haunted hill at midnight facing metric North, enter the code to your tablet using only your nose, and you should be ready to go to the tricky stage. Pretty standard stuff really.

Oh, and make sure your battery has only a plus 1.5 v terminal and a plus 5.7 v terminal. Negatives are copyrighted, patented, and reserved for the ME equipped Zunetab from M$.

SurferJoe46
02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
No need really, just take the Finnish National Anthem, transpose it for the Sousaphone, convert that to binary, stand on a haunted hill at midnight facing metric North, enter the code to your tablet using only your nose, and you should be ready to go to the tricky stage. Pretty standard stuff really.

Oh, and make sure your battery has only a plus 1.5 v terminal and a plus 5.7 v terminal. Negatives are copyrighted, patented, and reserved for the ME equipped Zunetab from M$.

http://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/hollywood/portraits/john_philip_sousa-.jpg

John Phillip Sousa would NEVER allow the Finnish National Anthem to be played on any of his horns - how dare you?!?

R2x1
02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Oh no ! ! !
No wonder you had trouble with Linux. Playing a Sousaphone near a sensitive electronic device is courting disaster, naturally disaster caught you. The Sousaphone is only a transition phase, and not even a virtual note need be played. (Not playing a note is something a Sousaphone excels at, it is almost as well equipped for not playing a note as the Bagpipes.)
If you must play a Sousaphone, play the Binary transposition and skip the 1's. Playing a Sousaphone indoors at home will almost certainly qualify you to be Finnished the moment SWMBO gets her delicate ladylike hands on your throat. The Sousaphone will come to a sticky end too.

John H
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM

(snip)

I don't wish to rain on your parade SJ, but are you sure about that? http://blog1.9square.net/court-grants-apples-request-for-preliminary-injunction-against-galaxy-nexus

This was in the NZ media a few days ago, but I cannot find the reference now. However, have you taken delivery? Should you maybe contact your supplier? Or am I mistaken - is the Google Nexus different from the Galaxy Nexus? If so, why the stupid name Nexus being repeated by two manufacturers?

John H
02-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Here is another reference. It is Australian, so it is probably up the boohai. However, it seems to use Google and Galaxy interchangeably: http://www.channelnews.com.au/Communication/Mobile_Phones/V3S6N8R8

SurferJoe46
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't wish to rain on your parade SJ, but are you sure about that? http://blog1.9square.net/court-grants-apples-request-for-preliminary-injunction-against-galaxy-nexus

This was in the NZ media a few days ago, but I cannot find the reference now. However, have you taken delivery? Should you maybe contact your supplier? Or am I mistaken - is the Google Nexus different from the Galaxy Nexus? If so, why the stupid name Nexus being repeated by two manufacturers?

I'll have to redact certain parts, but here's the order confirmation letter from Google:::

Thank you.
You've made a purchase on Google Play.
You will not be charged until your order has shipped.

Order number: 15731260465432498277.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Order date: Jun 30, 2012 7:25 PM PDT
Payment method: VISA xxx-4433

Purchased from:
Google, Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View
CA
United States
855 836-3987
Ship to:
Joseph P Vreeland
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hamilton
MT
United States

Shipping Status... Quantity.... Item...................Price
Not Shipped........1.............. Nexus 7 (8GB)......$199.00
Shipping:$10.00
Tax(MT):$0.00
Total:$209.00

R2x1
02-07-2012, 01:41 PM
$200 for a not-shipped item? I can beat that, only $100 for a not-shipped tablet AND phone of your choice, freight free! Choice of colours or colors too. Ring Now ! ! !

SurferJoe46
02-07-2012, 01:52 PM
But it's GOOGLE and they won't tell a lie!

Actually, with the pre-sale purchase, I get some freebies too.

Erayd
02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Here is another reference. It is Australian, so it is probably up the boohai. However, it seems to use Google and Galaxy interchangeably: http://www.channelnews.com.au/Communication/Mobile_Phones/V3S6N8R8 Both you and the reporter appear to be confused. To clarify:

Nexus is a line of Google-branded Android devices from various manufacturers in partnership with Google, and they run a "vanilla" (unmodified) version of the OS. The devices are generally intended as developer devices, and as such are supplied with an unlocked bootloader.

The Galaxy Nexus is a phone in that series, manufactured by Samsung.

The Nexus 7 is a tablet in that series, manufactured by Asus.

The Nexus brand is owned by Google.

Other devices in the Nexus range include the Nexus One and the Nexus S.

John H
02-07-2012, 02:48 PM
And you thought I was confused before your post Erayd!!! So, what has SJ bought, and is it the Nexus that has been banned from sale in the USA?

mikebartnz
02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
And you thought I was confused before your post Erayd!!! So, what has SJ bought, and is it the Nexus that has been banned from sale in the USA?
He is buying the Tablet Nexus 7 and I think it is the phone Nexus that has a temporary ban on it.

Nick G
02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
He is buying the Asus Nexus 7 a tablet in the nexus range.
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the latest phone in the nexus range, is the one with a ban on it.

To further clarify for John H.
Every once in a while google will ask a brand to make a phone or a tablet to certain specs. This is usually when a new operating system has been launched. The device will have a nexus in the name, which signifies it is 'pure google' i.e it is a phone that google asked to be made, and has no skin on it.
So far, four nexus devices have been made.

2010 - the Google Nexus One, made by HTC. It introduced froyo, and was the first phone to have flash support. It also started the path towards large, hi res screens with its 3.7 inch, 800x480 display.

-the Google Nexus S, made by Samsung, launched in late 2010. It had NFC and introduced gingerbread.

2011 - the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, made by Samsung (duh!). It introduced ice cream sandwich, the 720p display, and had NFC, a dual core processor, and a 4.65 nch screen. It is the one which has just been banned.

2012 - the Asus Nexus 7, made by ASUS (also duh!). Introduced jellybean and was the first tablet to be a 'nexus'. It mainly has a very low price for the specs to compete with the kindle fire.

John H
02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
OK, thanks youse fullas. Makes sense (finally!) but don't test me on it. I only have a Samsung Galaxy S which came as a freebie with our Samsung TV, so the finer points of the Nexus range have passed me by.

I wonder if the Apple bullies will now have a go at the Asus Nexus 7, or do they just want to screw Samsung?

mikebartnz
02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
OK, thanks youse fullas. Makes sense (finally!) but don't test me on it. I only have a Samsung Galaxy S which came as a freebie with our Samsung TV, so the finer points of the Nexus range have passed me by.

I wonder if the Apple bullies will now have a go at the Asus Nexus 7, or do they just want to screw Samsung?
Now there you sort of have the same thing again with the Samsung Galaxy S you have being a small tablet and not a phone if it is the same as another person who got a TV. Why they didn't call it a Samsung Galaxy T instead I don't know.

SurferJoe46
02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm just glad it doesn't have a phone in it. I hate cells, since then people can find me and that's not in my daily planner --- to be found.

I've somehow 'lost' a few Trac-Fons that my wife gave to me. "Oops!~ it fell outta my pocket in the car on the freeway at 80 MPH. Guess there's no reason to go back for IT - huh?"

John H
02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
In all the confusion, I haven't said that I am jealous, SJ...

tuiruru
02-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Like this?