PDA

View Full Version : Any plumbers out there?

lakewoodlady
30-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I have a problem with my toilet cistern. All of a sudden it has stopped filling up!
I took the lid off and jiggled a few things, but that is extent of my knowledge of such things. Could something have suddenly blocked the pipe where the water goes into it? :(

LL

SP8's
30-06-2012, 07:21 PM
You haven't has a sever frost up there have you ?? ...

Other than that, and depending on the type of cistern, it may be something wrong with the float mechanism. Having said that ... it usually means that water will continuously run and not switch off (i.e. the "float" (ball) in an old ballcock setup will no longer float and put pressure on the "cock" - or tap for those with uneducated wallies)

Some newer systems work in other ways ... Again LL ... If I was close enough to you, I'd be around for a cup of tea (or coffee) and a hot scone ... ;-)

Edit ... you haven't by any chance knocked the tap and turned the water off ... some of them are a simple ball valve under the cistern somewhere ... try having a look and turning it both ways to see if water runs through.

There's also a pivot valve in older model taps that can stick and/or have the water pressure behind them push the seal (washer) into the valve body ... or the washer has disintegrated and blocked the smaller inlet valve ...

Geeze ... on second thoughts ... call a plumber !!!

lakewoodlady
30-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, we have had some pretty beaut frosts, but that would affect the taps in the bathroom and kitchen as well wouldn't it? They are all fine thank goodness. I am sure no one has turned the valve off. I'll check the knobs to make sure though.

I rang a plumber and he said it sounds like there is a blockage in the valve somewhere. He could come and fix it right now and charge $140 + gst, or come on Monday and charge $85 + gst...............
It will be the bucket brigade till then I guess!

LL

8ftmetalhaed
30-06-2012, 08:14 PM
edit - derp.

Jeff
30-06-2012, 08:50 PM
If you can, take a photo of the valve and post it, someone might be able to tell you how to clear the blockage in it.

lakewoodlady
30-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Maybe tomorrow.

LL

tut
30-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Can you pm me your phone number and address. I can call around early tomorrow and have a look for you.

pctek
01-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Frosts can, our old house would freeze the water to the loo and washing machine but not bathroom or kitchen. But it depends on the layout of the pipes.
And, it would thaw and start refilling anyway.

Husband says could be valve but hard to say without a look.
And extra charges for weekend! Rip-off. He doesn't do that.

tut
01-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Call me on 027 246 0425. I will be in Taupo by about 9am and can have a look to see if you need to pay a plumber, which I doubt.

Will be unable to access the computer from now so cant get a PM from you.

feersumendjinn
01-07-2012, 11:10 AM
What usually happens with an older style float valve, is the inlet side of the valve (next to the rubber washer/seal) gets blocked

with bits/flakes of rust and dirt from the pipes (as its usually only about a 3 to 5mm hole), especially likely if your pipes have been freezing.

It's probably something you could fix yourself if you're keen, just remember to turn the water supply off.:horrified

pctek
01-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Husband just fixed out loo....it had the opposite problem, continually filling.
The problem? Those blue things you put in the tank. I know better but the last owners must have used them, the remains was catching under..................

tut
01-07-2012, 05:28 PM
LL's one is a newer type all plastic. The water comes in to the bottom of the tank onto a vertical tube with the float arm on the top. The valve activated by the float is stuck down so no water can flow. Couldnt find a way to open it up to see if it was repairable and a new tube was not available locally on a Sunday.

lakewoodlady
01-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Will keep you posted on the cistern saga. Many thanks to tut for all your help and advice. :thumbs: I will be busy tomorrow trying to find a replacement vertical tube thingy!

LL

lakewoodlady
02-07-2012, 02:39 PM
I went to Zip Plumbing and they had just what I needed, it is a different type but it fitted ok. So, we're back flushing now! :banana $30 as against $97 for the plumber.
Tut, it was really tricky putting the plastic nut on that goes up underneath the cistern! I have done it up as tight as I can by hand, I couldn't get the spanner in to do it up, so I'll keep a lookout for any leaks.

LL

tut
02-07-2012, 02:50 PM
That nut was a problem for me too without the proper spanner but as it is against a rubber washer than hand tight might be ok. Just keep an eye on it and let me know if it is leaking. Might be in Taupo anytime.

Those stove element parts we talked about are $28 each

lakewoodlady
02-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Cool, thanks for that!

LL

pctek
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I went to Zip Plumbing and they had just what I needed, it is a different type but it fitted ok. So, we're back flushing now! :banana $30 as against $97 for the plumber.
Tut, it was really tricky putting the plastic nut on that goes up underneath the cistern! I have done it up as tight as I can by hand, I couldn't get the spanner in to do it up, so I'll keep a lookout for any leaks.

LL

Congrats!

Ours has the crappy plastic stuff in it too, most new ones do.