PDA

View Full Version : I'm so pleased with Office 2010

Digby
29-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi guys

I just bought Office 2010 after using Office since Windows 95.

I am SO PLEASED with the way options are set fro the various programs.

Instead of that annoying Tabbed system (where the tabs kept moving around) we now the the File / Options operation.

This is much more sensible and more user friendly.

pctek
29-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Yuk.
Looks much the same to me.
I'll stick with Libre.

Nomad
29-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Been a Office user since Win95 too. The new ribbon look I just got used to it, now going back to the older style Office I am less familiar. Pretty much stuck with Office b/c it is a industry standard at school and at work and at most people's places. I also used a bit of Office with Windows 3.1.

Nick G
29-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Yuk.
Looks much the same to me.
I'll stick with Libre.
Tried Libre, bought office 2010. Libre kept reformatting docs made using office.

@digby. Good to hear you like it.

Metla
29-06-2012, 01:05 PM
I've liked every release of office, and as I have worked in larger organisations I've been constantly surprised by just how powerful it is.

At one time I was even deluded enough to think I was quite good with it.

lakewoodlady
29-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I am thinking about getting MS Office Onenote Home and Student 2010, one of the cheaper ones, Can anyone tell me what apps are included in it?
Currently have Open Office, but when I put ods files into Dropbox, I cannot open them on my Android. It thinks that they are Linux and shows them with a little penguin on.

LL

wratterus
29-06-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm a big fan of Office 2010

Nick G
29-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I am thinking about getting MS Office Onenote Home and Student 2010, one of the cheaper ones, Can anyone tell me what apps are included in it?
Currently have Open Office, but when I put ods files into Dropbox, I cannot open them on my Android. It thinks that they are Linux and shows them with a little penguin on.

LL
Download open office document reader from the play store. It should read .ods filres. Home and student 2010 has word, excel, powerpoint, and onenote.

gary67
29-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Had office 03 for ages and quite liked it, put Libre on my netbook instead of ofice starter which had a big ad down the side. Libre continuously crashed, got rid of that put OO on and it's been fine never crashed once. Use office 07 on my desktop and OO on the netbook to often work on the same documents never has any formatting issues. Only thing I don't like about OO is that although it can read .docx it can't save to that so I have make sure 07 is set to save as office .doc

pcuser42
29-06-2012, 02:30 PM

LL

Office 2010 Home and Student has Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. As a bonus, Word is able to open OpenOffice documents (and has been able to since 2007 SP1).

Bobh
29-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I am still using Office Home and Student 2007. I downloaded the trial when it first come out and I thought it was okay. At this stage I will wait for the next new version of Office to come out so that I can upgrade to the new version. Main reason is to save pennies. I am using Open Office with Windows 8 on my laptop.

mikebartnz
29-06-2012, 04:24 PM
It is about time you moved to Libre Office and then set it to save files in the Office .doc format.

mikebartnz
29-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Office 2010 Home and Student has Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. As a bonus, Word is able to open OpenOffice documents (and has been able to since 2007 SP1).
MS Office does not properly handle the Open Document standard so I wouldn't rely on it.

bk T
29-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I like 2010 than all previous versions :)

lakewoodlady
29-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Download open office document reader from the play store. It should read .ods filres. Home and student 2010 has word, excel, powerpoint, and onenote.

Thanks nick g. I didn't like some of the reviews on the open office doc reader, and some said it won't open ods from drop box.
I can get MS Office Home and Student for a reasonable price, so I think I'll just get that.

LL

The Error Guy
29-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I like the improvements M$ are making to office and their whole UI in general.

I think they are the forerunners for the modern UI. It's very nice

lakewoodlady
30-06-2012, 12:04 AM
It is about time you moved to Libre Office and then set it to save files in the Office .doc format.

All the ones that send me docs use MS Office, and I never have any trouble with them in Open Office. Although some docs keep asking me to save in a different format. So, I think I'll just join the crowd and get MS Office, that will be easier for everyone and then I can also post them straight to the website in the format that I need. I still might give Libre a go first though, and see how I get on with it.

LL

linw
30-06-2012, 10:34 AM
LL, just change the default doc save format in OO to .doc. This is always advisable so you can send docs to others and have them open them. Just saves problems as you are finding.

pctek
30-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I have Office 2002? 2003? at home.
At work it is exclusively Libre.

Never had any issues with it, it happily opens .docx, doesn't have any formatting issues we've ever noticed.

mikebartnz
30-06-2012, 10:56 AM
I have Office 2002? 2003? at home.
At work it is exclusively Libre.
For most it would be the other way around. Interesting place to work is it?

Myth
30-06-2012, 12:11 PM
The computers at work use Office 2010. I love it but occasionally get lost looking for things that I used to do frequently with earlier versions.
Quick google usually fixes that issue :)

Digby
30-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I have never heard of Libre until today !

I got my Office Professional 2010 from a UK auction site called ebid.net
I could not believe how cheap it was (about $100)
It was supplied by a US based Microsoft support partner.

Yes getting used to how the ribbon works is a bit of a learning curve, but I have found out how to do most things now.
In general I like the ribbon.

linw
30-06-2012, 12:55 PM
What is the diff between OO and Libre? Anything really noticeable?

Nick G
30-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Having used both for a reasonable period of time, I prefer Libre. I find it to be more stable, and just a bit easier to use. There isn't a huge difference though, but being both free, I'd advise anyone to try them both before getting word.

smurf
30-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Since Kingsoft Office Professional was a Giveaway of the day about 12 months ago, I have been using that. Recently installed the free version on my new laptop and all is very good. Totally compatible with Ms Office. Doesn't have a database equivalent or an email programme. Well worth having a look.
http://www.kingsoftstore.com/kingsoft-office-freeware.html

Nick G
30-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Downloading now.

mikebartnz
30-06-2012, 01:58 PM
OO has just come out with an upgrade but one of the biggest differences was in compatability with MS Office.

linw
30-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks. I'm happy with OO (latest ver) but my requirements are extremely ltd. Will have a look at Libre, though.

Nick G
30-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks. I'm happy with OO (latest ver) but my requirements are extremely ltd. Will have a look at Libre, though.
Kingsoft also look promising.

gary67
30-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Have kingoffice on the tablet, MS office on all desktops which we got for $80 per copy as students. Use OO on my netbook as Libre was unstable on it always crashing

gary67
30-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Just looked up ebid see link for office 2010 here (http://nz.ebid.net/for-sale/microsoft-office-home-business-68637171.htm)

Digby
30-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Yes Gary,
That's where i got mine from.
Except that I bought Office Professional as I needed Access and Publisher.
I paid for it, and got the download link and the product key and had it all up and running within 1 day.

wainuitech
30-06-2012, 09:12 PM
MS Office does not properly handle the Open Document standard so I wouldn't rely on it. That also works the other way , or more to the point doesn't work.

Seen it many times Open office or Libre makes a complete shambles of MS documents.
I have several here, nothing fancy, just some simple text boxes in a word Document along with plain text, and open office cant even get close displaying them correctly.

fred_fish
30-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Because MS goes out of their way to break compatibility (including with their own previous versions) so the sheeple keep on buyin' that Office ...

wainuitech
30-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Ones I'm using Fred were created on office 2000, and display perfectly on every version of MS Office so far.

Theres been more times that I care to remember people have been sent out a document in some other program Eg open Office, and dont bother to save it in a standard format that any suite can open.

Its simply people using the program don't know how, and software writers by default always save documents in their formats. Many people have no idea as to how to open these documents, and when you say either ask the sender to send it in another format eg .doc or .docx you get a blank look or if on the phone you hear errrrrrrrrrrrr , or its to hard, and they sure as hell are not going to install Open office simply to read one document.

Nick G
30-06-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm loving kingsoft. Great program! Thanks for the link to previously unknown software :thumbs:

mikebartnz
30-06-2012, 09:35 PM
That also works the other way , or more to the point doesn't work.

Seen it many times Open office or Libre makes a complete shambles of MS documents.
I have several here, nothing fancy, just some simple text boxes in a word Document along with plain text, and open office cant even get close displaying them correctly.
There is a very big difference there wainuitech ODF is a standard and open and everyone else apart from MS can implement it properly whereas as far as I know MS can't even write fully their own OOXML format. It sounds like MS Office Ver15 will be the first one and in Win 8 be prepared for a whole load of tiles.

wainuitech
30-06-2012, 10:19 PM
The tiles, well yeah, thats the way MS are going at the moment, But you don't have to have them all, or any for that matter. Windows 8 allows you to pin/show any tile you want. The majority of people would only use a few programs, so if they only want word, excel and outlook for example then the others can be hidden under all apps, but still available if required.

Been using windows 8 a while now, and got it set up and running very nicely, with only a few apps/tiles on the metro interface, the ones I would use most often.

As for office formats - well I give customers,like any OEM builder should MS office for Free, so that gets around that problem.

smurf
30-06-2012, 11:11 PM
+1 for Kingsoft! :)

linw
30-06-2012, 11:24 PM
@gary67 - never seen ebid before. Thanks for the link. Really good price, eh.

Yorick
01-07-2012, 02:35 AM
MS Office does not properly handle the Open Document standard so I wouldn't rely on it.

That also works the other way , or more to the point doesn't work.

Let's get a little dose of reality here. I do like it when people make random claims of formatting infidelity with regard to OOo and MS docs.

Yes, OOo will have issues with about 5% of documents produced in MSO. Most of those with difficult formatting tools such as text boxes and tables because MS uses odd ways of creating these. Of course usually these elements are only used when trying to use word as a Desktop Publishing programme so it's not surprising that a word processor would have issues.

However MSO is a thousand times less capable at handling ODF. The ironic thing about this is that even though ODF is an Open Standard, published for all to use without encumbrence, MS developers seem incapable of getting it right in MSO. By contrast OOo developers without the benefit of any disclosure of their file formats by MS, managed to back engineer it so that OOo is better than 95% fidelity in a non native secret proprietary format. A format that MS could just dump tomorrow. Office 2003XML anyone. Office Open XML? Still not compatible with it's published specification.

The point is that the above statement "--- or more to the point doesn't work." is nonsense. You have a far greater chance to get something readable from OOo with MS formats than you are from MSO with ODF. That is not opinion, that is fact. Perfect no, never said it was. MSO however is extremely bad at handling non-MS file formats, that has been a deliberate policy on the part of MS, just read Brian Jones blog back about '07.

LibreO's fidelity is pretty good mainly because of it's association with Novell and the deals struck with MS over improving interoperability, however if you try OOo's other stablemate: IBM Lotus Symphony, you'll find the fidelity even better, IBM have made interoperability a real focus. Personally I like the interface, I think it's the best of the OOo variants.

wainuitech
01-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Well who's in love with Open office

Most of those with difficult formatting tools such as text boxes and tables because MS uses odd ways of creating these. Of course usually these elements are only used when trying to use word as a Desktop Publishing programme so it's not surprising that a word processor would have issues.
Just shot ya self in the foot there, Write in Open office can add text boxes/ tables , oh right thats different isn't it, because of the way it does it.

Also seen simple text documents written that don't load correctly in OOo.

The point is that the above statement "--- or more to the point doesn't work." is nonsense Bollocks -- why then does Kingsoft Office open the same document OOo cant and kingsoft displays perfectly.

The best solution is to have both programs then everything is covered.

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Of course he is and he does actually know a little of what he is talking about as he is an OO developer and I agree with him that a lot of people use a word processor when they should be using a desktop publishing program. Tried to convince my sister of that just recently as she was doing a project for the family I would have happily taken over.
As for Kingsoft, I don't know but they may have some sort of an agreement with MS which would give them the inside track. They also just do a Windows version which makes things less complicated.
Actually considering that they skite that they have been a market leader since the late eighties I find it amazing that I have barely heard of them.
1998 Lenovo Group Limited bought 30% of stock in them.

Agent_24
01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Yuk.
I'll stick with Libre.

x2

wainuitech
01-07-2012, 06:46 PM
As for Kingsoft, I don't know but they may have some sort of an agreement with MS which would give them the inside track. They also just do a Windows version which makes things less complicated One thats been around for a long time is ability office, Have not tried the latest versions, but their office 2003suite was for all purposes identical in looks and workings as MS office, the only difference outwardly was a few icons may have looked different.

Of course companies are going to aim more at windows, its where they make money. no real brainer.

If they can sell a product instead of giving it away its going to make money.

Sure Yorick pushes OOo, as a developer he would - but until OOo comes the major leading office suite world wide instead of MS office its always going to be behind. If it did exactly the same things and worked as well as MS office then maybe people would change to it. Forget all the reasons like "its the way MS does things" thats not an excuse - end users dont care how companies do things to make certain programs do what they want, all they want is it to work - MS office does that mostly one way or another.

As I said nothing wrong with OOo, just its not there yet to end users needs, just like Linux - its free, works OK, but not exactly the worlds most used OS.
Personally I use both MS office and Libre, both have good and bad points.

Online work like google doc's , office 360 etc are the way things are going. OOo has to keep up with that as well.

Yorick
01-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Why thank you happy to admit that, I have been using it since 1999.

Just shot ya self in the foot there, Write in Open office can add text boxes/ tables , oh right thats different isn't it, because of the way it does it.

Heh, no not really, I never said Writer (put the R on the end it's more accurate. :) ) couldn't do text boxes, in fact the text boxes in Writer or in Draw are extremely powerful you can do shapes, wrap text in odd shapes and all sorts. You're right the code is different. In fact every piece of software that has text boxes do it differently. Just some tell the world how they do it and some hide it like their lives depended on it.

Also seen simple text documents written that don't load correctly in OOo. I've also seen a ginger cat with three legs which doesn't mean to say that one should avoid all Ginger cats if you want a four legged cat. It's not really an argument, our Issuezilla archives are full of similar stories, many can't be duplicated, many are down to fonts, the small number that are in fact bugs, are tackled as quickly as we can.

Bollocks -- why then does Kingsoft Office open the same document OOo cant and kingsoft displays perfectly.

Don't know, without the appropriate information and copies of the offending documents, I can't tell you, not that I've used, or frankly even heard of Kingsoft till now, puts me at a bit of a disadvantage and I note they don't do a Linux version so it's a bit difficult to try it. I'll set up a Win2K instance in a VM and try it out. The point is that in the vast majority of cases it does work, so the bald statement that "it doesn't work!" is demonstrably incorrect

The best solution is to have both programs then everything is covered.

That is certainly one solution, the best solution across the board is for all to use an ISO standard file format. Countries around the world are now specifying documents should only be produced in an ISO standard format because they are concerned about archival integrity. The Australia National Archives uses OOo for this very reason. Every document is saved as ODF and PDF/A plus original, this because ODF is the only ISO standard editable file format in use today (and MSO2010 does not support iso29500 http://redmondmag.com/office-2010-breaks-iso-iec-standard (http://redmondmag.com/articles/2010/04/07/office-2010-breaks-iso-iec-standard.aspx) ) and so to ensure that the digital files of the archives will be available far into the next century, ODF is the only real choice and OOo is the definitive implementation.

Sure, it would be nice to have perfect compatibility, but that isn't going to happen soon or at least not until MS becomes competely open with it's file formats.

wainuitech
01-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Once again another thread has turned to this program is better that another, mainly in this case Open office.

The original post was the fact that Digby likes MS office, and what happens all the OOo crowd try to basically run it down and say OOo is better, and basically run advertisements for OOo.

Cant give the Op a general thats good you like it or anything, must try to push another product.

fred_fish
01-07-2012, 08:12 PM
:groan:

This IS a discussion forum yes?

The subject of Office apps is being discussed.

I'm sure there is a mutual admiration society for MS fanboy's and pushers somewhere, maybe that would suit you better?

Nomad
01-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I haven't tried much alternatives. But I have a "cover page" file that was created by my course provider, I printed one copy using MS Office and it came fine.

I then used Open Office to printed the same file. It looks different. The font was diff and the shaded was missing. Also the area where it ask for your name, your ID number etc ... It actually dropped it down a line. Like it ask for your ID number but the line to write it was now a line underneath.

Used two PCs b/c my PC is x64, printer doesn't support. So to use MS Office I need my laptop to print to a XP machine downstairs. The 2nd time I used OO b/c I thought I could just use the XP computer which doesn't have MS Office installed. Well I guess I could install Office 2k on it........

In terms of the written report, it was fine looking but the font was just different. I used Arial font, looked a bit weird that I reprinted it using MS Office or at least saved it as a PDF so I could print it on the XP machine directly.

Nick G
01-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Once again another thread has turned to this program is better that another, mainly in this case Open office.

Cant give the Op a general thats good you like it or anything, must try to push another product.
Always happens doesn't it :D

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 08:32 PM

The original post was the fact that Digby likes MS office, and what happens all the OOo crowd try to basically run it down and say OOo is better, and basically run advertisements for OOo.

Sorry Wainuitech but if you want to have a cry you may. Can't you handle a bit of discussion about your favourite Office program.

Jen
01-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Cant give the Op a general thats good you like it or anything, must try to push another product.Sigh. Fact of life: if you make a post saying product X is great, someone is going to say the opposite. PF1'ers are particularly good at this. :rolleyes:

The 'OOo crowd' are not trying to push their product. If someone says X does not work, why can't they defend that statement? No different to someone saying a particular Linux distro is the next best thing to sliced bread and someone argues a case for Windows 7 being that.

What is not acceptable is for turf wars when someone is trying to get help with a problem.

There is also no need to take digs at each other, so keep it nice people...

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Sigh. Fact of life: if you make a post saying product X is great, someone is going to say the opposite. PF1'ers are particularly good at this. :rolleyes:

The 'OOo crowd' are not trying to push their product. If someone says X does not work, why can't they defend that statement? No different to someone saying a particular Linux distro is the next best thing to sliced bread and someone argues a case for Windows 7 being that.

What is not acceptable is for turf wars when someone is trying to get help with a problem.

There is also no need to take digs at each other, so keep it nice people...:thumbs:

wainuitech
01-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Sorry Wainuitech but if you want to have a cry you may. Can't you handle a bit of discussion about your favourite Office program.

Bit of pot calling the kettle black there, anyone who uses open source 90% of the time they are always one sided.

But thats fine I dont really give a rat you know what.

Anyway I have better things to do with my time than discuss pointless posts with people who have blinkers on.

fred_fish
01-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Um ... yeah...

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Bit of pot calling the kettle black there, anyone who uses open source 90% of the time they are always one sided.

But thats fine I dont really give a rat you know what.

Anyway I have better things to do with my time than discuss pointless posts with people who have blinkers on.
I'm sorry Wainuitech but I have been right through this thread again and the only one who has been one sided has been you and very defensive you have been too. It appears that it was my post stating that MS Office did not handle the ODF format properly that got you going.
Yorick has tried to debate with you but you decided to bring the bollocks and Well who's in love with Open office.:crying
You were wrong it is closer to 100% and if my netbook hadn't come with Win7 Starter it would be 100%

wainuitech
01-07-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry Wainuitech but I have been right through this thread again and the only one who has been one sided has been you and very defensive you have been too. It appears that it was my post stating that MS Office did not handle the ODF format properly that got you going.Yorick has tried to debate with you but you decided to bring the bollocks and Well who's in love with Open office.:crying
You were wrong it is closer to 100% and if my netbook hadn't come with Win7 Starter it would be 100%

Wanna borrow my glasses, there are several people who prefer MS office.

The above mentioned person does nothing but advertise OOo - theres hardly one post thats made by the said person that doesn't push Open office. As I said before, theres nothing wrong with Open office, but it doesn't do everything, no one product including MS office does.

The highlighted text in the quote, thats why I have Libre in case someone sends a doc MS office cant read - try reading everything. If OOo is so good why dont you remove starter ??? - heres a question if it craps out which it does do sometimes you are stuck unless you have the install OEM CD, you cant buy it, and unless you have the permission from MS to download as a OEM reseller its screwed. (before you ask yes I have it legally from MS).

TTFN PF1

fred_fish
01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
grep toys cot > floor

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 10:06 PM

The above mentioned person does nothing but advertise OOo - theres hardly one post thats made by the said person that doesn't push Open office. As I said before, theres nothing wrong with Open office, but it doesn't do everything, no one product including MS office does.

The highlighted text in the quote, thats why I have Libre in case someone sends a doc MS office cant read - try reading everything. If OOo is so good why dont you remove starter ??? - heres a question if it craps out which it does do sometimes you are stuck unless you have the install OEM CD, you cant buy it, and unless you have the permission from MS to download as a OEM reseller its screwed. (before you ask yes I have it legally from MS).

TTFN PF1
What a rant about nothing. You first sentence was rather pathetic.

If OOo is so good why dont you remove starter ??? It's on there why. Gives me a chance to try things I wouldn't be able to without it.

plod
01-07-2012, 10:10 PM

TTFN PF1He keeps starter because OOo isn't a OS

mikebartnz
01-07-2012, 10:11 PM
He keeps starter because OOo isn't a OS
There is that too.

fred_fish
01-07-2012, 10:23 PM
heres a question if it craps out which it does do sometimes you are stuck unless you have the install OEM CD, you cant buy it, and unless you have the permission from MS to download as a OEM reseller its screwed.

This is EXACTLY an example of why I prefer open source.

Jen
01-07-2012, 10:26 PM
OK, that is enough bickering. There are better things to do than get in a tangle over a program. Time to move on.

Metla
01-07-2012, 10:37 PM
God Bless MS.

All our lives are enriched by their existence.

Open office (and Linux) users are a bit like horse people, A bit mad, slightly weird,smell a bit earthy, But mostly harmless.

They exist for us better folk to look down on, best not to stir them up, then you have to lower yourself in order to deal with them.

Nomad
01-07-2012, 10:46 PM
For those in my studies ...

Those with laptops (PC or Mac) they just buy MS Office.
I don't really know anyone who uses a Netbook personally but I guess they would just use MS Office Starter.
I actually know no one who actually doesn't use MS Office. Maybe those who have iPads perhaps. Same with the OS.

wainuitech
01-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Metla - You have an uncanny way of hitting the nail on the head. lol

fred_fish
01-07-2012, 11:24 PM
:lol:

Agent_24
02-07-2012, 12:11 AM
God Bless MS.

All our lives are enriched by their existence.

Their own wallets are enriched by their existence, perhaps...

Yorick
02-07-2012, 12:22 AM

OK I wasn't going to post any more on this thread but that was an attack at me personally which needs to be answered.

I only post about OOo because that is what I feel I am qualified to talk about, you may call it advertising, some I would call promotional but since the research thread and being shot down over that I have not posted anything that wasn't in direct response to someone representing OOo incorrectly or as a method of solving a problem for someone . There is not much talk about OOo in general so I've only posted 113 times. There are many other people on PF1 far more qualified than I to post on the other topics and I don't need to stick my nose in for the sake of lifting my post count.

By contrast you have over 15000 posts and promoting MS Office far more than I have Open Office.

Additionally, I make no profit from my association with OO, while you, on the other hand are, iirc, a Microsoft Partner and so therefore, stand to profit from sales of, or services pertaining to, MS Office.
It would seem therefore that any discussion by you about MSO should be seen as advertising that you stand to profit from and any dissing of opposition product should be viewed as strongly biased because of that.

If you want a list of items that you can diss OO on and be correct, I can give you that list without any problem at all, it's out there for all to see. Like all software there are issues. Let's just bring up genuine issues and leave the imaginary ones and let's pull back the hyperbole a little.

Bring up genuine issues and it will be noticed, our UX team is mining data off all social media and is collating it so we have a better idea of where we should be headed. Broad unsupported generalisations however take up time and just end up getting ignored.

mikebartnz
02-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Additionally, I make no profit from my association with OO, while you, on the other hand are, iirc, a Microsoft Partner and so therefore, stand to profit from sales of, or services pertaining to, MS Office.
It would seem therefore that any discussion by you about MSO should be seen as advertising that you stand to profit from and any dissing of opposition product should be viewed as strongly biased because of that.
An interesting point.

wainuitech
02-07-2012, 09:01 AM
It would seem therefore that any discussion by you about MSO should be seen as advertising that you stand to profit from and any dissing of opposition product should be viewed as strongly biased because of that I dont advertise any product, its against forum rules to do so.

Also the op made the Thread he liked MS Office.

And it wasn't sold by me.
I'll put in what ever Office product people want, could be OOo or MSO doesn't worry me and I'm not going to lose any sleep or get upset if someone wants OOo.

Please refer to metlas post #64. I notice its the OOo crowd getting all up and down because others don't think its as good as they do,theres nothing wrong with it, just not perfect, no software is.

Yes I have lots more posts, but then I actually help others on several problems, when I look at these forums and questions people ask, should I decide to reply I make suggestions, theres lots of times I could answer but dont, then theres lots of times others have already or the question being asked could be something I'm not so good at. Not my fault if some are one trick ponies.

gary67
02-07-2012, 09:02 AM
For those in my studies ...

Those with laptops (PC or Mac) they just buy MS Office.
I don't really know anyone who uses a Netbook personally but I guess they would just use MS Office Starter.
I actually know no one who actually doesn't use MS Office. Maybe those who have iPads perhaps. Same with the OS.

Office starter is horrible I had it on my netbook and replaced it with OO, still use MS office on my desktop though

Nick G
02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
I have now used Open Office, Libre Office, Kingsoft office free (haven't used it enough to make a final judgement on it though) , and M$ Office 2003, 2007, 2010 editions. What I've found it that all are good office programs, but they all have some problems with documents created by another program. For example, M$ office 2007 had issues with a OOo document, and OOo couldn't handle a M$ document with macros. So, I use M$ office because nearly everyone else does, so it is the best way to ensure compatibility when viewing documents.

mikebartnz
02-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Please refer to metlas post #64. I notice its the OOo crowd getting all up and down because others don't think its as good as they do,theres nothing wrong with it, just not perfect, no software is.
I not sure what we are meant to glean from Metlas post but it was you that started to get all up and down as you put it and not the OO/Libre crowd.

wainuitech
02-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I not sure what we are meant to glean from Metlas post but it was you that started to get all up and down as you put it and not the OO/Libre crowd. Please read what nick wrote, the post above yours.

Thats exactly what I have been saying all along, no one Product is perfect. What appears to happen is some people think Ooo or Libre is the best and push it down everyones throats, and for what ever reason they wont admit its not perfect and has flaws. Its no personal attacks, its a fact the software is not compatible with every other office product, NO one office product is perfect.

Some people like OOo or Libre, some like MSO -- its up to them what they want to use, and others should respect that.

Metla
02-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I not sure what we are meant to glean from Metlas post but it was you that started to get all up and down as you put it and not the OO/Libre crowd.

A chuckle or a groan.

mikebartnz
02-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Please read what nick wrote, the post above yours.

Thats exactly what I have been saying all along, no one Product is perfect. What appears to happen is some people think Ooo or Libre is the best and push it down everyones throats, and for what ever reason they wont admit its not perfect and has flaws. Its no personal attacks, its a fact the software is not compatible with every other office product, NO one office product is perfect.

Some people like OOo or Libre, some like MSO -- its up to them what they want to use, and others should respect that.
Would you be so very kind and point out here anyone who has tried to say that OO/Libre is perfect stating in which post it was done.
I used to think PCWrite was pretty near perfect.:D

mikebartnz
02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
A chuckle or a groan.
You got a chuckle there Metla.:cool:

wainuitech
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Would you be so very kind and point out here anyone who has tried to say that OO/Libre is perfect stating in which post it was done.
I used to think PCWrite was pretty near perfect.:DMike, what I was referring to - you of all people are smart enough to figure that out ;)

mikebartnz
02-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Mike, what I was referring to - you of all people are smart enough to figure that out ;)
So you have had trouble finding the offending posts have you? I could add something about the last part of that sentence of yours but I won't.

pcuser42
02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Everyone please, stop blaming everyone else over this argument :rolleyes:

Nick G
02-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Everyone please, stop blaming everyone else over this discussion :rolleyes:

Fixed it :lol:

Agent_24
02-07-2012, 01:57 PM
We all know there is only one ultimate word processor!

EDIT.COM

:D

Digby
02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Yes, my thread seems to have been taken over by a discussion on Office versus open source copies of office.

It looks that should have been the subject of a new thread.

I was just pointing out some of the new user interface features off Office 2010 (07 ribbon etc) which I found helpful.

Any more comments on the interface and features ?

gary67
02-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Perhaps we should all go back to using notepad

Metla
02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
I make constant use of notepad...

I have about a trillion new text document.txt on every PC I use.

Most of them contain important information, It must be important because I made a note of it, However I have no idea why its important.

Especially the ones that just contain a string or numbers of a single word.

Agent_24
02-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I have about a trillion new text document.txt on every PC I use.

Most of them contain important information, It must be important because I made a note of it, However I have no idea why its important.

Especially the ones that just contain a string or numbers of a single word.

And I thought I was the only one who did that!